Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

How come only Whitey gets the sponsorships?

Forum for kitesurfers
Caesar
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Palm Cove, Port Douglas, Yorkeys Knob
Gear: Not telling unless I'm getting paid.
Brand Affiliation: Nothing...

Re: How come only Whitey gets the sponsorships?

Postby Caesar » Sun May 19, 2013 9:20 pm

john a wrote:@cesar: But there are several of well known pro riders from Brazil: the Madisons, Bruna, Remu, Neto... None of them on Youri´s level though ;)
Hi John,

You write correctly: "None of them on Youri´s level". But have a look at the beaches here. :wink:
Surely they are not world champions yet, but...

Cheers
Caesar 8)

soul19
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Prov
Favorite Beaches: Prov
little current
westbay
Style: try not to drown style
Gear: Whatever I own at the time....
Brand Affiliation: hook a brother up!!!
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby soul19 » Mon May 20, 2013 12:37 pm

Hey Caesar,

Living here in Canada makes me reflect on my years playing competitive hockey with the comment you made about unknown possible future champions. It is a common theme that you here people whine about here in regards to themselves, their kids, relatives or that kid they know who should have played in the NHL. The truth of the matter is no matter how good these players may have been they obviously weren't good enough to make the big leagues. Yeah some may have been able to play at that level but not a true superstar of the sport! Your local rippers will make it if they are just that good as someone will eventually come across them. If they haven't been offered sponsorship deals it may be that they are good but lack that edge of what the greats are. Youri, Aaron, Dre, Kevin, Andy and Alex are all exceptional riders who have the ability to win world championships. Their riding levels are beyond the reach of 99% of the field that these individuals can lay down solid rides no matter the conditions or whatever gear they may be using. I am not taking away from the talent of your local rippers as they would crush my riding within the first trick being thrown but true superstars of the sport will rise up. It takes the rare individual with the right mental toughness to push past boundaries and will turn heads no matter where they hail from. The greats will always be the greats!

James
www.theglobalartist.com

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby TomW » Mon May 20, 2013 6:52 pm

capitan nemo wrote:The team riders are there to promote.
As a potential client It is easier for me to relate with someone from my country or continent. There are more kitesurfers in Europe and in north America so i guess that's why there are also more team riders from those locations.
When you relate to a team rider you relate to a brand and then you might buy some gear from that certain brand.

you guys make a lot of good points, yes you have to have cred, and be presentable and match the brand values.
but the captain points to the simple human fact that " you will pay attention and listen to someone who is like you or someone you wish to be" This one psychological phenomenon explains a lot of adverts.

bigwave
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Style: Foil and Surf.
Gear: Kites: Slingshot UFO
Foil: Armstrong
Boards:Slingshot DC100
Harnesses: Mystic Stealth
Wetsuits: Mystic
Glasses: Lip
Brand Affiliation: silentsports.com

Postby bigwave » Mon May 20, 2013 8:55 pm

soul19 wrote:Hey Caesar,

Living here in Canada makes me reflect on my years playing competitive hockey with the comment you made about unknown possible future champions. It is a common theme that you here people whine about here in regards to themselves, their kids, relatives or that kid they know who should have played in the NHL. The truth of the matter is no matter how good these players may have been they obviously weren't good enough to make the big leagues. Yeah some may have been able to play at that level but not a true superstar of the sport!
James
www.theglobalartist.com
You make some good points but being a team sport, it is more difficult to relate to an individual sport like kitesurfing. To me the idea of sponsorship is to sell the brand. There are many way to accomplish this, winning events, lifestyle focus and image just to name a few. Watching the various company videos is a very entertaining way to sell your brand. If you or I relate to something in that video say, then we might be interested in maybe a purchase.
The manufacturer spending the cash can sponsor anyone they think will sell there product. White ,Black or Purple(Barney on kite!!!!) . There choice.
Last edited by bigwave on Mon May 20, 2013 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12

Postby CaptainArgh » Mon May 20, 2013 8:59 pm

Attachments
ssrpmrules.jpg
ssrpmrules.jpg (71.67 KiB) Viewed 1558 times

soul19
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Prov
Favorite Beaches: Prov
little current
westbay
Style: try not to drown style
Gear: Whatever I own at the time....
Brand Affiliation: hook a brother up!!!

Postby soul19 » Tue May 21, 2013 12:01 am

Hey Bigwave,

If you read my first comment in this thread I have touched on the points that you made. I fully agree that use of social media is the way to get yourself noticed! It is the new television and magazine coverage that creates hype over a particular rider and the brands that they represent. Herein lays the problem why certain riders will not ever see sponsorship...no use of social media. James Boulding and Patrick Rebstoke have the media content well dialed in!

James
www.theglobalartist.com

Also I am glad that someone pointed out the elephant in the room! I laughed when I read the title of the thread.... a racist comment to question why a certain demographic seems to monopolize the professional bracket. A bit of tongue in cheek.

Jbrook
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Jbrook » Tue May 21, 2013 12:14 pm

I think it comes down to but no limited to: A little luck, where you live, your education level or how much you commit to something, who your friends are, how dedicated you are to your blog and making videos and posting photos, because even someone in a 3rd world country can promote themself with internet.

Return to “Kitesurfing”