Local Beach: tel aviv
israel
Gear: F one six edition 10m
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Should i Fix it or not?

Postby shlomis » Mon May 27, 2013 12:36 am

i have an old Cabrinha co2 12m, as a second kite. I probably will have to replace all the inner tube all over the kite, as the Fix guy sais.. (hope I'm not being fooled) and the kite material lost his '' crispi " feeling...as the Fix guy said...
With the crispi feeling I don’t have much to do...and I can sufer this financial damage of the inner tube replacement(about 100-150$)....
My question is this kite worth it(because of his "prehistoric" model-2006-2007 i think...)
And, is this kite so dangerous as the Fix guy said(because of its c-shape, and the "prehistoric" model thing)?

I also have a very old board (f-One style 148 ×35) year 2003, and the same question, is it worth something?(lets say, for light wind board? , or for using as any other wind/wave board)

Thanks for helping...

pj sofine
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Style: silly
Gear: naish pivots 9,11, rpm 7,8,10,12 cf raptor ltd 136,140

Re: Should i Fix it or not?

Postby pj sofine » Mon May 27, 2013 12:49 am

I wouldn't bother,kite is at least 8 years old.Probalbly better off upgrading.

frankm1960
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: -Bayshore, at the end sea st. on saint John's west side, bay of fundy.
-Saints rest beach, at the end of sandy point road, irving nature park, saint john, west side.
Gear: Kites: 12m LF Mig, 9m LF Mig, 5m SS Fuel
Boards: LF proof 151cm, Real Wind 144cm, home made light wind board 160 x 50

Postby frankm1960 » Mon May 27, 2013 1:04 am

I wouldn't pay anyone any money to have it fixed and I hope you didn't pay anything for that stuff... should've been free to you I hope. I would never replace bladders in an old kite... I would patch them though :lol:

If you're a fixer up type personality then go fix it. I would do that just for the hell of it :lol:

If you were to spend any money then maybe some money on bladder repair kit (tons out there) and see if you can simply repair the bladders if they don't hold air. Be good practice because even new kites develop leaks and valve delaminates so you'll be prepared for the occasion where your new kites (down the road) start to go to hell.... and they will.

I wouldn't put a dime in that equipment though.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Mon May 27, 2013 2:27 am

u can buy an old c kite in mint condition that is ancient for about $50. do not put more than $25 repair into old kites. if a really old kite is in bad shape it's not worth the gasoline to go pick it up even if someone gives it to you for free.

board is different. some old boards are awesome, i would love to get one of them old pickle fork jimmy lewis or directionals from 1999, however other boards are just worth throwing in the trash heap.

Try riding the board if you dont like it resell it, as for the kite, go back into the forum and search for topics like

"What to do with old kites"

maybe you can give it to a sailor in indonesia and he'll repair his sailboat with it, or you can make it into a tent or something

by contrast if you have a brand new kite, like a 2012 or 2011 it's well worth putting hundreds of dollars into repairing it

kites age pretty fast they are like blue jeans that way

ps the tubes dont go bad on old kites, what happens is that the valves fall out. on a new kite you would buy a tape on valve for about $15 and fix a single valve in 5 minutes, but when you need to repair 15 or so valves 15 * $15 that's too expensive so instead pick up a tube of 3m 5200 fast cure for $15 it can do a few hundred valve repairs, boil some water, peel off all the valves on the kite, then clean with rubbing alcohol, put a thin layer of rubbing alcohol on all 15 valves, restick then and then weigh them down with like a little shot glass or something with a weight on top, give it about 12 hours to cure and then put all your bladders back in the kite, when you pump it back up the first time after a repair go slow in case you accidentally twisted the bladders. it's not economical to get someone else to do repairs, but if you want to learn something why not try to fix it.

sharky79
Medium Poster
Gear: cabrinha

Postby sharky79 » Mon May 27, 2013 6:31 am

make a bag, a tent, or even a carpet out of it.

frankm1960
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: -Bayshore, at the end sea st. on saint John's west side, bay of fundy.
-Saints rest beach, at the end of sandy point road, irving nature park, saint john, west side.
Gear: Kites: 12m LF Mig, 9m LF Mig, 5m SS Fuel
Boards: LF proof 151cm, Real Wind 144cm, home made light wind board 160 x 50

Postby frankm1960 » Mon May 27, 2013 3:54 pm

edt wrote: by contrast if you have a brand new kite, like a 2012 or 2011 it's well worth putting hundreds of dollars into repairing it

pick up a tube of 3m 5200 fast cure for $15 it can do a few hundred valve repairs, boil some water, peel off all the valves on the kite
I can't imagine sinking hundreds of dollars fixing any kite :lol: ... a tube of aquaseal for $9 and fiberglass drywall tape (5bucks) you can fix canopy, LE and valves many times with that stuff. Why would anyone spend $100's ?

Do you have to boil the water to get the valves off? I've found hot tap water was enough.... and ya clean with alcohol for sure before gluing anything back on.

If you have old stuff you'll want to be able to fix it yourself otherwise there's really no savings if you have to send away for professional repair all the time... plus the time you lose on the water due to necessary kite repairs.

That's what I'd do if I had an old kite.

The board will work for you as well and as far as the kite being safe will depend more on the pilot than the kite itself.. ie you can decide to kite in manageable conditions or you can take it out when it's nukin... your choice when it comes to safety.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Mon May 27, 2013 4:27 pm

Just saying even if you crash a kite into barbed wire worth fixing if it's new

Return to “Kitesurfing”