Style: not yet defined :-)
Gear: Cabrinha xbows 06
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Trimming 5th line on a North bar

Postby isidrov » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:51 am

Hi,

I've recently purchased a new 2012 5th element bar for my 2012 Rebel. I felt the depower wasn't great but I wasn't sure what is expected as is the first time I'm flying Rebels (previously only Bandits). Anyway decided to take a look to the line lengths, as per the manual all lines should be equal including the 5th

Page 31

http://www.northkites.com/uploads/tx_vi ... 633093.pdf

Back and front lines are equal but the 5th line might be 2 or 3 cm longer than the rest. There is a trimming available for the 5th but only to make it longer not shorter, basically right now is the shorter it can be (The bar pigtails are tied to the third knot of the leader lines and I haven't trim anything yet)

Do you know what could be wrong and is there an easy fix or should I contact my dealer about it? I thought to ask before trying to make the rest of the lines longer or reach the dealer as I just bought it. Also is it right to think by having a loose 5th line you loose depower and increase the bar stroke?

Thanks
Isidro

Zeek
Rare Poster
Been thanked: 0

Re: Trimming 5th line on a North bar

Postby Zeek » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:29 am

The 5th line below the Y (split) is supposed to be a bit slack at full power (trim strap fully out)

The 5th is only under tension (loaded) above the Y.

The knots on the lower section of the 5th are only there for when the centre line stretches.

Make sure your lines are equal when fully powered and walk up to the split and check that the three centre lines are equal and your pretty much done.

sarc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby sarc » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:17 am

All lines (including the 5th) must be equal length with the bar fully powered up (chicken loop against the bar and depower rope fully out.

Tip: before you cut your 5th line because it's too long, try washing your lines (and bar leaders) with soap. Washing machine is OK.

The reason is that most lines don't stretch, they shrink as they get fatter when dirt gets between the fibers. So maybe is all the other lines being too short.

Worth a try before you start cutting.

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:41 am

You sure sarc. My understanding is that fifth line fully powered needs some slack. I found this out from a long term rebel rider and always adjusted to keep this fifth slight slack. Maybe I'm wrong but that's what I've read and followed?

Return to “Kitesurfing”