Forum for kitesurfers
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Looking for Engine Harness owners

Postby 1968 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:05 am

Hey,
Im looking for reviews of owners of the Engine Harness.
What do you think after useing them for a while? What are the Pros and Cons? How durable are they?
Has anybody the Spreader Bar with the Hook, and how is it compare to a standard spreader bar?
What do you think about the adjusting robes?
The idea sounds fantastic, I just want to hear your (owners) opinion.

Thanks

cleepa
Frequent Poster

Re: Looking for Engine Harness owners

Postby cleepa » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:44 am

I don't own one, but I most definitely will when my current harness wears out. Or maybe sooner - I know a good thing when I see it!

I would expect durability would not be radically different to any other kiting gear. The Engine is closed with rope, so maybe that would be the first thing to fail. But that is trivial to replace. The carbon fibre shell will outlast everything else. The neoprene will last longer than your wetsuit because it isn't being stretched. And the straps would probably have a similar lifetime to any other waist harness...

So, sorry I chimed in as a non Engine owner, but to me these things look too good to pass up on!

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:01 pm

I have an engine harness (original design with 4 adjustable straps) and have just order the new carbon fiber spreader bar with the sliding hook attachment.

Pros
- mine is custom fit to my back, it fits like a glove and is comfortable to the point where I sometimes forget it is on
- since the shell is rigid, it does not collapse onto your hips like soft shell harnesses do, the pull is evenly dispersed onto your back so no more sore sides
- Light weight, does not absorb water, its always dry!
- small size

After 3 months of use I can honestly say I will never buy an off shelf harness again. Custom rigid shell is the way to go.

Cons
it takes awhile to get the final product. Coleman is a busy guy and shipping molds back and forth and custom graphics etc add to the speed of delivery. It is totally worth the wait but this process can take a month.

Durability, if you read Coleman's bio about how he started making harnesses you will soon have a lot of faith that these harnesses will last much longer then a standard construction harness. Simply put it was the bad experience from the harnesses he had purchased which led him to first repairing those harness which evolved to building his own.
I haven't seen any wear on my harness yet but its only been 3 months. I will mention though that the straps that came with this harness are much better then the ones that came with my dakine, they are much more easily adjusted.

I cannot comment on the new hook, its only been available for a few days to the public. but my suggestion is to use this harness like it was designed, with a sliding hook.

Hope this helps
Cheers

Pete

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35

Postby davesails7 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:56 pm

How does molding the harness custom to the shape of your back work?

Rotule
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Plattsburgh City Beach, NY
Favorite Beaches: Plattsburgh City Beach, NY
Gear: Core Section 4M, Section 2 6M. GTS 3 9M
Moses Onda 71 HL

Postby Rotule » Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:38 pm

davesails7 wrote:How does molding the harness custom to the shape of your back work?
here : [vimeo]https://vimeo.com/55000342[/vimeo]
:thumb:

i'm definately switching to this when my Ion wear off, i love his work!

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:03 pm

Rotule wrote:
davesails7 wrote:How does molding the harness custom to the shape of your back work?
here : [vimeo]https://vimeo.com/55000342[/vimeo]
:thumb:

i'm definately switching to this when my Ion wear off, i love his work!
looks awesome!!

MMac22
Medium Poster
Local Beach: SC
Style: Surf
Gear: North kites, Tomo boards

Postby MMac22 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:41 am

I have one and have been riding with it for several months, bottom line, it's the best harness that I have ever used (& I have tried most of them). I'm using it with the Dynabar sliding rope hook and found this to be a great combo. The custom carbon fiber shell of this harness spreads the loads so much better than any other harness available. I've found this makes it more comfortable, I can ride longer and have much longer sessions now. I never realized how much my old harness was limiting me until I got the Engine. After riding with this, I think someday all kiting harness will have a hard shell, it's superior. This is a custom, high end piece of gear that is worth the time and expense to obtain. Keep up the great work Coleman!

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:54 am

Davesails7
Basically what happens is you order a harness
Coleman sends you a blank
Once you receive the blank you heat it until it turns clear in your oven
Then you lay on the floor and have someone shape it to your back
Let it cool
Take it off and send it back
Wait for your new custom fit harnesses to arrive
Be happy

mike dubs
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: southend, whitstable, camber
Favorite Beaches: west end of camber sands
Style: Surf
Gear: FireWire, BWS drifter, nobble skim board, 12/9/7 bandit 5's

Postby mike dubs » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:32 pm

had one for 3+ months, love it.

fits perfectly, doesn't move or ride up, transfers power better, spreads load better, really comfortable and looks great. Had the original with 4 straps and a home made slider bar, but all my gear including harness was stolen a few weeks ago.

Coleman at engine still has my back mold and is making me another but with the carbon sliding spreader.

Best bit of gear I have ever bought for kiting.

mike

hangtimefive7
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Fraserburgh
Favorite Beaches: Fraserburgh
Style: Unhooked, Strapless, Waves
Brand Affiliation: F-One Team Rider

Postby hangtimefive7 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:53 pm

I've got one too. Makes my old Mystic harness feel like a bum bag (fanny pack for those in the U.S of A) full of jelly babies. Get one - you will not regret it

Return to “Kitesurfing”