Otti

airsurfer
Very Frequent Poster
Style: surf and hydrofoil big air and kiteloops
Gear: Ozone,Firewire, Moses, Zeeko,Levitaz, NP, ION
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Flysurfer cronix

Postby airsurfer » Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:14 pm

Yes I have flown the 2013 11m park very nice and easy going and forgiving kite that turns well but had less low end than my 2012 reo 10m found that it had too little pull in the loops for my taste and jumps we not very high. I want something more aggressive

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012
Has thanked: 0

Postby Westozzy » Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:31 pm

Fair enough. But the 2014 is meant to have a much better low end from all report, no pulleys anymore and pulls harder.

Wainmen have a new C just out, comment was ride a size smaller than normal, so has like all wainmen kites a serious low end. Some reviews are just coming out over here although some dicksnap has created a bit of havoc on the forum instead of contributing, but hey there's always someone sucking their own wang somewhere isn't there.

Another one to consider is the blade mist, you want pull man, that thing brings your lunch up but never falls to get around. It scared the shit out of me to be honest in the loops, wasn't ready at all for the whack!...packs a huge punch but then again is very easy to use like the rpm and C4. But but I'm not sure you will get the smoothness of the C4 and the rpm, they are very refined kites.

Mane
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby Mane » Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:51 pm

hi airsurfer,

if wanna go for low end you surely should try the cronix. it should have much more power due to its trailing edge bridle....i saw some guys snowkiting here in really low winds

cheers

POACHER
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Gear: *

Postby POACHER » Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:16 pm

My $.02 review:

I bought a 12m Cronix this summer and really like it. It's very fast for a 12 (more like a 10m) and has some great low end. (similar to a 14m) It is fast enough and drifts well for waves. The kite is very stable and has awesome range as well.

Also noteworthy, I've never used a kite that relaunches better than the Cronix. It's amazing how easy it is to get it off the water, even in lighter air. Just a quick tug at a back line and it rolls over nicely. I haven't snowkited with it yet, but I'm sure it will work great for that too, being able to reverse launch. I haven't tried the self launcher thing-a-majig yet either. Unfortunately most of our launches are stick infested brush piles, rocks or just too small. Drift launching is the deal.

I'm not sure about the bar yet. It's super small and just a little different from what I was used to. I'm not wild about the above the bar strap system. While very depowered, the red strap dangles at face level. No big deal really. The depower line seems to be fraying a little quicker than usual. But for what it's worth, changing the depower lines is probably a 15 minute job tops.
I do like the backpack style bag the FS includes too.

Oh...........I do feel compelled to say this, even though the irony may cause PMU's head to explode, but the pump Flysurfer sends with the kite is the nicest, quality, auto-double action (?) pump I've had come with a kite.

Great job overall with this kite FS. I liked the 12m so much, I just ordered the 8m. It'll get some use in Aruba this month. A big THANK YOU to Ted for shooting me the kite in time! Hatteras beers forthcoming!

My wife digs the yellow.

airsurfer
Very Frequent Poster

Postby airsurfer » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:35 pm

Hey poacher thanks for the review. You got me thinking now because aruba is my second home and I was planning to get a 10m as an all around but you got an 8m. Whats your top end on the 12m and weight?

POACHER
Very Frequent Poster

Postby POACHER » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:56 pm

Yeah no problem.

I'm 185lbs. dry. I have ridden my 12m into the low 30mph range with some gusts even slightly higher. I can't even imagine how high that 8m will go.

I was in a hurry to get the 8m as I see Aruba cranking in the 30's regularly. I've never been there, I'm hoping it's cool. Boca Grande looks like a fun place to ride.

I do really like the kite though. I think it's about as versatile of a "do everything" kite as I've flown.

airsurfer
Very Frequent Poster

Postby airsurfer » Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:24 pm

Great thanks boca is the place to ride you will love it dont be afraid to venture beyond the "lagoon" it can get crowded in there but an experienced rider can go beyond the reef and traffic. Don't waste your energy on the huts unless you enjoy very gusty offshore winds with lots of kiters and lulls. Kite inn is located right up the hill from boca. Anyway veturing off topic. I wish I could try the cronic before buying but ...

POACHER
Very Frequent Poster

Postby POACHER » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:13 pm

Off shore AND gusty!!?? That sounds like my kind of riding! At least the gusty part. The Cronix does pretty well in shitty wind too.
Thanks for the heads up on the huts.......we're staying at Eagle Beach, but I have a Jeep to take down to Boca. I'm hoping my buddy Mike can make it up from Venezuela for the week to ride too.
I'll shoot you a PM for more Aruba info.

On the Cronix, I wish I could say it would be perfect for you, but the proof is for sure in a demo ride. It's really a different kite from what I'm used to, but in a good way. I'd be happy to let you take my 8 or 12 for a rip if you're there the last week of February. (just don't wreck it or my wife will kill you........and me. 8) )

14ToeSide
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Sandy Spit
Gear: North, Ozone, Naish, Flysurfer
Brand Affiliation: What ever works Best that year

Postby 14ToeSide » Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:07 am

+12 what Poacher said. I posted about the 12 Chronix back a few months ago. It's all that Poacher says. The trailing edge bridle makes a huge difference. When we started flying we flew it straight out of the bag at Fac settings. Then we changed the rear bridle setting to more Low end and it didn't go upwind as easy. Sat farther back in the window. There is def something to the rear bridle control. Super fast turning even with one hand.

Return to “Kitesurfing”