Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: Flag Beach, Fuerteventura
Style: Everything
Gear: Indiana, Sailmon
Brand Affiliation: Indiana, Sailmon

Re: Foil - wave riding

Postby gmb13 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:44 pm

Here is some video from todays session at Flag Beach.

I am still having to spend too much time and energy keeping the kite flying to to go for the really tight and aggressive turns I want, but I think I am close to figuring out some mods to my ReoV5s to make it work. The weight of the Noir Matter Quark Stabiliser is an issue though. As soon as you bottom turn the slack lines let the camera pull the front lines down, front stalling the kite.

Enjoy.

--
Gunnar

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby plummet » Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:46 pm

juandesooka wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:47 pm
plummet wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:09 pm
One particular occasion where an outer reef 1km out was breaking a big lazy 1.5 - double me size wave. I rode that bastard as it broke and reformed all the way into the beach. Pure magic. Becuase it was peeling and reforming i could get close into the impact zone safely and back out again both up and down the line all on the same long ride. I could ride powered or drift because of the wind angle that day. The wave was lazy in steepness and choppy crap to be riding on a surface board. For a foil it was the best ride i have ever had. That is the type of wave/swell i want to ride. Its big, its fast, it requires you to go fast and be aggressive but theres a run out and limited chance of getting put through the washing mashine.
That’s awesome … that’s exactly what I want to do on foil too, whether kite foiling or sup/surf foil. A moving wall that you can carve around on, or can just stand there trim and coast on the power if you prefer. Much like shortboard surfing vs longboarding, choose the style and aggressiveness that suits the mood, the conditions, and the gear.

I am increasingly sure we’ll never see satisfying video of this though. Too far from shore to get any decent shore based footage, if you are lucky enough to have someone with the interest to actually watch you and the skill to capture the moment well. A gopro flattens the swell too much, so it looks like you’re riding a ripple (I stopped using mine to a large extent because of the disappointment….an A+++ day looks like a C- on the video after, then that super lame video replaces your awesome memory). Realistically, you’d need a jetski following you … and that’s never gonna happen unless you’re on the pro team. And even then, we’re seeing some good footage like this for surf/sup foil tow-in riding, but not really for kite foiling. So, for those who enjoy riding way out there in the rolling swells … we’ll have to be satisfied with our memories.

Kinda like your buggy riding Plummet, or back country skiing, it’s a solo pursuit or something to be shared with just a few friends. With the understanding that when we get back to the beach in full-on stoke blabbering mode, most people will assume you’re both full of s**t and a kook. 
Yep that is exactly how it goes! I've had a gopro back in the day. But you have to go out with intention of filming and couple film for weeks and then there's 1m of footage. Plus filming adds another complication and distraction to take away from the mood. Most of the time you miss the really good stuff and end up with shitty footage.

Check out this video from 4 years ago. Its my first ride on the mutant i made. So by no means is there any awesome riding going on. But, look at 1.18 to 2mins. I ride a big arse wave for 40 seconds. As you say the gopro flattens it out. The wave face takes up the full screen left of the white wash. Then imagine riding the sort of wave or swell maybe a bit further out from the impact zone getting a good minute plus ride. Thats my goal. I have to admit, often times i prefer riding the big swell rather than the actual wave face. You can ride that monster from how ever many km you are brave enough to go out. Then when it gets to the actual peeling wave leave it to the sb guys.

https://vimeo.com/99394053

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:50 pm

gmb13 wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:44 pm

I am still having to spend too much time and energy keeping the kite flying to to go for the really tight and aggressive turns I want, but I think I am close to figuring out some mods to my ReoV5s to make it work. The weight of the Noir Matter Quark Stabiliser is an issue though. As soon as you bottom turn the slack lines let the camera pull the front lines down, front stalling the kite.

Enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1tkPBsUl4Y

--
Gunnar
Fantastic footage Gunna, Best i've seen on the foil in the waves. You are getting some real tight turns!

What kite, kite size and windspeed are riding?

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: Flag Beach, Fuerteventura
Style: Everything
Gear: Indiana, Sailmon
Brand Affiliation: Indiana, Sailmon

Postby gmb13 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:17 pm

plummet wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:50 pm
gmb13 wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:44 pm

Enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1tkPBsUl4Y

--
Gunnar
Fantastic footage Gunna, Best i've seen on the foil in the waves. You are getting some real tight turns!

What kite, kite size and windspeed are riding?
Hi Plummet,

I was riding an Ozone ReoV5 6m. Wind was gusty, 10-15 knots.

--
Gunnar

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:49 pm

Looks really good Gunnar :thumb:

Board size is IMO perfect, looks (and feels, have tried shorter and longer) like in harmony and balanced.

The very short nose instead of no-nose is a lot better, more practical and when one occasionally gets over the white water on the surface, it is really so much easier than a shorter board, and still as lively as can be :naughty:

8) Peter

Return to “Kitesurfing”