Best helmet for kiting

Forum for kitesurfers
icebird
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Best helmet for kiting

Postby icebird » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:26 am

RedStar wrote:I like the idea of Gath. Slim and light. But I hate the look of it and don't have any use for visor. Are there any similar products? Would like to have helmet that fits almost like a cap.
Not to push my own recommendation, but the protec ace wake is about as light, thin and minimalistic as it can get although it might look thicker than Gath on the pic. There still needs to be foam inside for certified padding.

RedStar
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Oulu
Been thanked: 0

Postby RedStar » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:39 am

icebird wrote:
RedStar wrote:I like the idea of Gath. Slim and light. But I hate the look of it and don't have any use for visor. Are there any similar products? Would like to have helmet that fits almost like a cap.
Not to push my own recommendation, but the protec ace wake is about as light, thin and minimalistic as it can get although it might look thicker than Gath on the pic. There still needs to be foam inside for certified padding.
Yes you are right it looks like a "lot" of padding in Ace. Too much for my liking. I have similar snowboard helmet. Very nice fit and light. Probably same amount padding as Ace.

Why less padding for water use?
1) Thing is that i don't expect to hit my head to any rock solid items in water. Mostly I want protection against board and some protection for ears. Neither of these requires heavy padding.
2) If you fall high you want the helmet to have minimum amount of surface as possible
3) When dive under water you want helmet to have less material to collect water that falls to your eyes when you get up.
4) If you get drag by the kite you really don't want helmet to work as anchor that pulls your head to other direction :)

dejavu
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Any that have steady wind
Favorite Beaches: Any
Style: Freeride with the conditions on the day
Gear: Cabrinha, Flysurfer, NP, Rip Curl, WFMG, Aquapak, Loksac, Gopro, Suunto, apple watch.

Postby dejavu » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:19 pm

I have been using the protec for 5 years and it is still the best helmet. Sometimes on a fall it rides up but I guess that is the case with all helmets. My ear pieces need replacing though as they are wearing. A :) Any suggestions?

icebird
Frequent Poster

Postby icebird » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:53 pm

dejavu wrote:I have been using the protec for 5 years and it is still the best helmet. Sometimes on a fall it rides up but I guess that is the case with all helmets. My ear pieces need replacing though as they are wearing. A :) Any suggestions?
Cut new ones out of eva foam such as from a fitness protection mat, portable seat mat or pink yoga mat. Make small holes in chin straps near helmet edge front and back and attach with small zip ties. Silicone heat mats could also work. Punch holes for sound.

@RedStar: I have been crawling and diving just to cool of canoeing without discovering I was still wearing my helmet. Drainage holes should be an advantage during dragging, but I get your point. Water helmets are certified for 1m falls from kayak onto rock, so won't save kite impact with rock, but much better than nothing. I got a snow multi-impact helmet - different protection class and thicker. Single impact are thinner.

VOMKB
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: Liquid Force

Postby VOMKB » Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:07 pm

@redstar: the LF promodels are what you are looking for. Light and light padding.

Jaime

jbdc
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Ashbridges Bay, ON
Cherry Beach, ON
Hanlan's Point, ON
Favorite Beaches: Hanlan's Point, ON
Cherry Beach, ON
Ashbridges Bay, ON
Delray Beach, FL
Style: Intermediate
Gear: 2012 Pansh Aurora 15m
2010 Slingshot Octane 13m
2011 Cabrinha Crossbow 9m
2012 Ocean Rodeo Rise 7m
2012 Ocean Rodeo Cypher 5m

2010(?) Imagine Surf Fat Fish 5'2"
2011 Nobile NBL 142x42cm
2012 Ocean Rodeo Mako FR 135x37cm

2004 Gaastra Force 14m
2002 Liquid Force Switch 185cm

Postby jbdc » Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:45 pm

I forgot to mention that you can buy ear protection for the WRSI. I have the vented model, it it never drains into my eyes and it clears water so quickly I don't even notice it. Anything with ear coverage might might make it more noticeable as you'll get some wicking between your ear and the protector.

When the O-Brace is properly fitted, the WRSI *does not move* even in violent crashes. It's not at all tight, and even with a bit of slack in the chin strap it just wants to sit in the proper orientation. And since it's so light and doesn't restrict my visibility at all, I forget I'm wearing it until it comes time to take-off my impact vest.

I'm glad we're having this discussion and everyone seems pretty pleased with their choices. I admit that I haven't tried the other options, though I did a bunch of research before purchasing; so while I can't say the WRSI is the *BEST* helmet, I can't say enough good things about it either.

I expect the experience of almost everyone else in this thread will be similar: They've found something which works well for them, and have no reason to change. This is a good thing, but makes it hard for the OP to make a choice.

Maybe we should change gears a bit and ask some different questions. What motivated you to look for certain features in a helmet like ear protection (or not) and a brim (or not)? Has anyone tried a helmet that didn't work for them? Why did it suck?

Hopefully we can then get a better understanding of what works best for people in different situations. :)

Kite2Heaven
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: The whole coastline of Perth WA
Favorite Beaches: Woodies
Safety Bay 'Pond'
Pelican Point
Lancelin
Augusta
Geraldton
Margaret River
Style: freestyle Wake Surf
Gear: Kites - Naish, Bws Surf, Epic
boards - F-One - Axxis - NBL - Shinn

Postby Kite2Heaven » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:14 pm

You guys need to 'Harden up'. I used to race F1,2,3 motorcycles and never had any problems with wind drag 200+ kph and happy as larry to land on my head after a high side head slide ;)
Kiting no doubt is breeding softies these days !!! HTFU

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:22 am

ah come on K2H not causing angst are we. While a part of me agrees with you, there are those that use them and I am cool with their reasons. All that wind whistling around my ears would drive me nuts! Keep ya a little more warm though. And heck it could save ya life I suppose!

icebird
Frequent Poster

Postby icebird » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:58 am

well - at 240kph my motorcycle helmet (that fits pretty snug) presses the visor into my nose. Me thinx someone needs to crash harder kitesurfing - not cool blowing eardrums.

Wind noise only happens snowboarding - that drives my crazy when you reach that particular speed where it all goes humming.

RedStar
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Oulu

Postby RedStar » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:05 am

Ok these all looks good for me (not just waterproof skateboard/snowboard helmets like all other companies seems to make). Looks like they actually designed something for water sports. Any experience about these? Ocean Bull, Dolphin or Rhino?

http://issuu.com/f-one/docs/ocean_helmets_2012

review
http://www.thekiteboarder.com/2013/03/t ... in-helmet/

Return to “Kitesurfing”