Forum for kitesurfers
The Captain
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Busting up you Directional

Postby The Captain » Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:22 am

Wanted: details on how you broke your directional. One of those learn from the mistakes of others threads.

Have some ideas on what not to do to your favourite kitesurf board?

Drew22
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Tpa

Re: Busting up you Directional

Postby Drew22 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:50 pm

Airs to flat, I thought since its a Firewire it will last forever. 3 weeks of the shelf and I snapped my new board. Its got a giant repair now but it doesn't ride the same. I've also broke so many fins boxes going to shallow, Ill post some pictures later.

sarc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby sarc » Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:08 pm

Get a bamboo board - my North Whip looks like new after 2 years.
If you jump and are not 100% sure of soft landing just land butt first. Not pretty but your board will love you for it.
Sorry I have not broken any directional recently... since I follow above ideas...

cleepa
Frequent Poster

Postby cleepa » Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:46 pm

Strapless jumping. Cracks on the rail or the deck. Always been able to repair them.

dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: N/A

Postby dyyylan » Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:50 pm

A friend snapped his in half just in front of his back foot just by doing a super hard turn on a wave.

Another friend put his foot through a firewire just riding over a wave and landing on the other side.

I've never broken any (yet?) but I don't think strapless airs are cool, so I just surf with mine...

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:12 am

Did an air gybe, got secondary lift, hovered, then dropped fairly hard. Crack!! It cracked under the front foot pad.

Had it repaired twice but it was a waste of time and money. First repair was a cosmetic fix. Second repair was major re-construction. Both times it lasted about 10 hours and re-cracked just pounding along at speed in chop.

Currently riding an F-One bamboo board. It's light and bullet proof. I jump it all the time.

Drew22
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Tpa

Postby Drew22 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:11 am

dyyylan wrote:A friend snapped his in half just in front of his back foot just by doing a super hard turn on a wave.

Another friend put his foot through a firewire just riding over a wave and landing on the other side.

I've never broken any (yet?) but I don't think strapless airs are cool, so I just surf with mine...
Yea I kinda feel the opposite about strapless airs not being cool. I feel TT riders are usually doing the lamest stuff on the beach. How many old farts you see killing it strapless, probably few to none. How many old farts you see doing good on the twin tip, most of the beach. TT riders are a dime a dozen minus the few guys that are doing handle passes and then they are the douches who think their shit don't stink. Anyone can toss an air or backroll on a twin tip there is nothing to it.

Anyways here is the firewire I snapped. It was the most beautiful riding board and now it rides like and absolute turd. Its strong it one direction but for some reason the other way it bogs down and wont cut upwind smooth and just feels all around weird

sarc wrote:Get a bamboo board - my North Whip looks like new after 2 years.
If you jump and are not 100% sure of soft landing just land butt first. Not pretty but your board will love you for it.
Sorry I have not broken any directional recently... since I follow above ideas...
To expensive for my blood man. I snag cheap boards out of the local shops and CL and go to work. Plus salt water enemas on a continuing basis just doesn't sound to cool.

Return to “Kitesurfing”