2012 Wainman Smoke 9m
Airush Xover 142
2012 OR MAko King
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Board size and chop

Postby pdb1121 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:10 pm

All things being equal (i.e. the same type board and wind conditions relative to board size and kite size relatively equal) is it better to have a shorter board in big chop?

NYKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Wave
Gear: .

Re: Board size and chop

Postby NYKiter » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:47 pm

Ocean Rodeo Mako King

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:58 pm

Rounded tips are the key. Not size. So the mako as advised is very good in chop because of its rounded design. Of course rounder tips means worse upwind and worse pop. So its a trade off. Chop performance v upwind ability.

kiteontario
Medium Poster
Gear: Cabrinha, Slingshot, Nobile

Postby kiteontario » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:20 am

While reviews seem to be critical of wakestyle boards indicating they're only for advanced riders and require that you're really powered up, I've found them to be excellent for riding in choppy conditions. Wakestyle boards with lots of rocker (e.g. Cabrinha Custom or Slingshot Darkside) eat up chop like melted butter. They're fun to ride too. Easy to cruise along the shallows as well since the fins are so small or you can ride without them.

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35

Postby davesails7 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:22 am

Most boards are wider in the longer sizes, so hard to make an apples to apples comparison, but I have the 136x41 Crazy Fly Raptor Pro LTD and my buddy has the same board, but 132x41. 4 cm isn't much difference in length, but when I ride his I tend to dig the nose into the chop sometimes. I do that less on the longer board. Haven't tried them back to back on the same day yet though, so could just be different conditions on different days.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:03 am

kiteontario wrote:While reviews seem to be critical of wakestyle boards indicating they're only for advanced riders and require that you're really powered up, I've found them to be excellent for riding in choppy conditions. Wakestyle boards with lots of rocker (e.g. Cabrinha Custom or Slingshot Darkside) eat up chop like melted butter. They're fun to ride too. Easy to cruise along the shallows as well since the fins are so small or you can ride without them.
yes rocker also improves chop performance..... again at the detrement to upwind performance.

So the best board for chop is the worst board for upwind. Yoy need to find a happy medium between upwind ability and chop riding perfomance at your local.

kiteontario
Medium Poster
Gear: Cabrinha, Slingshot, Nobile

Postby kiteontario » Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:25 am

plummet wrote:
yes rocker also improves chop performance..... again at the detrement to upwind performance.
Maybe it's just me and my riding style, but I have no problem whatsoever staying upwind with a Custom or Darkside board. When I first tried a Custom I wasn't sure what all the fuss was about.

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:16 am

i am loving my new crazyfly shox. Super smooth in chop and goes upwind like a rocket . Very light board and comfy straps.

flipper231
Very Frequent Poster

Postby flipper231 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:18 am

BTS 136x41, from 12knots on a bandit 6 10m or Core XR3 11m to 3ft chop in 35knots with a Switchblade 7m, 92,5kg. So not sure about the rounded tips. There are not that many Mako's around, I kite on lakes so, choppy, no swell. That board has range and goes through the rough like a charm... Also, I look at the other folks from a good distance upwind of them. Not sure if they can't of if they don't want to...

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:35 am

Define "better"?

I'll add that more flexible boards are easier to ride through the chop . . .

Return to “Kitesurfing”