Forum for kitesurfers
CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12
Has thanked: 0

2014 Slingshot RPM!

Postby CaptainArgh » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:24 am

Tony mentioned some new features on what must be the 2014 Slingshot RPM in The Kiteboarder's SurfExpo interview. I have not seen these mentioned elsewhere.

Features mentioned @ 0:50 in the video below...
  • - Black diamonds w/ small diamond dacron patches to cure flutter when sitting on the beach.
    - The larger diamonds contain new material that has UV protection for leech.
    - Replaced pulleys w/ anodized aluminum pulley (looks like it is actually a slider) - lighter, low friction.
    - New pulley made huge difference in precise feel of the kite.
    - Kept feel of kite. Same kite, just a lot better.
They also discuss the new Turbine which is now a 5 strut kite with increased range.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0n0MM-DmZ8M
Last edited by CaptainArgh on Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:39 am, edited 3 times in total.

NYKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Wave
Gear: .

Re: 2014 Slingshot RPM!

Postby NYKiter » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:42 am

Oh no...ronstans...bad...rings (sliders)...good....

dandaka
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kaliningrad, Russia
Favorite Beaches: Boracay, Philippines / Mui Ne, Vietnam
Style: unhooked / newschool / wakestyle
Gear: North Vegas 12m² 2012
North Vegas 9m² 2010
North Vegas 7m² 2010
North Team Series 131cm 2011
Mystic Warrior III Len10 2012
Been thanked: 0

Postby dandaka » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:46 am

Release dates? When they start to sell on Christmas?

Massimo
Frequent Poster
Style: FreeRiding >> WaveRiding
Gear: Slingshot RPM 14
Slingshot RPM 10
North DICE 10

Gaastra SurfPro 5'4"
Naish Sol 134
Fly-Radical 139
LF Influence 137
Brand Affiliation: Not yet

Postby Massimo » Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:07 pm

Many developers including SS is accusing users to let the kite flapping on the beach for hours therefore they are having issues with a weak trailing edge.
I believe skilled/smart users know very well that this is not the primary reason of TE failure since nowadays very few users let their kites flapping on the beach unattended for hours.
Nevertheless, even when the kites are left on the beach, there are different behaviors with regards TE flapping or not flapping according the kite configuration/geometry (5 struts vs. 3 struts) and materials used (wide and smartly design Dacron TE ws thin Dacron TE).
If we now looking to RPM specifically, we can appreciate that the RPM is flapping more than the other kites when left on the beach, moreover it has a huge tendency to flap heavily also in the air during tight turns and high jumps while lending. This must be considered a big if not the biggest contributor of TE failure.
Some developers they use different methodologies to prevent this type of failure while SS did not act until now. Moreover this "improvement" seems a little weak to compensate the major issue that all RPMs are having on their TE.
Said so, customers should be very pissed off by developers like SS, that are consistently accusing their customers to do not take good care of their own kite (instead of apologize because of a not optimized kite design).
Thankfully experienced and smart users can easily judge by themselves what is good and what is less good with few basic tests (I will personally try to take a closer look to the new RPM and I will see if what they are claiming is reality or BS)

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12

Postby CaptainArgh » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:22 pm

Massimo wrote:Many developers including SS is accusing users to let the kite flapping on the beach for hours therefore they are having issues with a weak trailing edge.
If we now looking to RPM specifically, we can appreciate that the RPM is flapping more than the other kites when left on the beach, moreover it has a huge tendency to flap heavily also in the air during tight turns and high jumps while lending. This must be considered a big if not the biggest contributor of TE failure.
Some developers they use different methodologies to prevent this type of failure while SS did not act until now. Moreover this "improvement" seems a little weak to compensate the major issue that all RPMs are having on their TE....
This has been debated here before and clearly some people have the problem. However, a lot of people don't. Maybe they fly the kites less, maybe they don't leave it flapping on the beach, but this is not an issue for all RPMs, as you indicate above.

Now that I see the video and read your take on it, though, I have noticed other manufacturers putting a little weight in the leech...maybe it's to help this?

Whatever the real story, there has been a lot of talk on the forum about this issue and here you see the manufacturer acknowledging it with a design modification. That's good news for those who complain saying the companies never listen! Even if you don't agree with their comment that "it was your own fault anyway," they did acknowledge that schools can't pack down their kites every time and shouldn't have to deal with leech wear. So they kind of admitted you are right? ;)

My RPM doesn't show this issue. But, if there is a design modification that increased the durability and doesn't negatively impact the performance, it sounds like a win-win for everybody! :thumb:

jrfiol
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cayo Enrique, La Parguera; Montones Beach, Isabela; Dorado Beach, Dorado.
Favorite Beaches: Not yet.
Style: waverider, freestyle
Gear: Slingshot RPM 10, Darko 135. I also have a Liquid Force Havoc 12 and Rally 14M.
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby jrfiol » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:03 pm

I keep my kites till they die, and they do.

My 2009 10M RPM died late 2012. 4 yrs of life.
My 2011 14M Rally is dying this year, that would be 3 yrs.

The Rally really got pounded in surf, quite often. I will repair it (cause I split it in half) and use it till years end. Then I'll get another.

I replaced my RPM with a 2013 11M Fuel. I plan to have this kite for 3+ years.

The SS guys make good kites.

I want to try them all, and build a larger quiver. Really like my Fuel (only used once!!!).

I want to fly the new Rallys, to see which size I get. The 2013 line looks awesome.

Thanks for sharing the video,

BTW, I leave my kites in the sun, flapping in between sessions. It just happens. The RPM specifically.

doublerumandcoke
Frequent Poster

Postby doublerumandcoke » Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:57 am

Massimo. Clear brand bashing!

All but a few of kiters pump their kite up and leave it out on the beach for the entire duration of their time there. Even if there is a compressor, virtually none deflate between sessions. BUT then this should effect all kites equally. Does the RPM suffer more than others............yes maybe.....but why?
Only Teijin D2 or dacron is stronger than Teijin9600 so it must be the shape !! But the shape is for performance and not a UV and windflap durability contest. Could they F1 it and add dacron all along the trailing edge? Sure but it would slow the kite, make it heavier and change performance (so they don't).
A Ferrari doesn't go well off road or over speed bumps. Thats cause is isn't designed for it. Doesn't make it a bad car. No its a performance car. RPM, performance kite.

If you don't like the RPM cause you think the TE is weak if you leave it on the beach. Buy a 1/2 dacron kite that will fly like an old pair of grannies knickers and fly that for 10years.

DRC

eree
Very Frequent Poster

Postby eree » Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:29 am

good! now we have two ferrari makers in the kite industry.
not so long time ago epic kites were compared to ferrari, now rpm.
may be that is why less and less rpm's around each year in my place. when the rpm first came out they were in every spot at least half a dozen, but nowadays i hardly even see them.

all kites flutter and their cloth is degraded by uv rays equally.
announcing questionable victory over flapping or using sliders instead of pulleys are just minor cosmetic changes and they don't make performance better.

Massimo
Frequent Poster
Style: FreeRiding >> WaveRiding
Gear: Slingshot RPM 14
Slingshot RPM 10
North DICE 10

Gaastra SurfPro 5'4"
Naish Sol 134
Fly-Radical 139
LF Influence 137
Brand Affiliation: Not yet

Postby Massimo » Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:18 am

July 20 1969, this is when the human kind went on the moon. It was more than 40 years ago 8)
I do not believe that building a stronger TE can be so difficult, many brands manage to do right with continuous improvements... in the RPM did not happen for 3 years.
This year maybe it happened, however i do not believe to these BS and i will make sure to check the behavior by putting the 2 kite in the same exact position and see if there is a real difference or is only advertising/brain-washing.
However, many brands are still struggling on finding the right balance between durability and performances although the cost of a kite can be compared with a cost of a small motorcycle (scooter) that are supposed to work for more than 50/100 sessions.
SS keeps accusing their customers to do not take care of their kites instead of sharing responsibility and clearly admit the weaknesses of the RPM TE
I have 2 RPMs and I took very good care of them, the only time that i let them flapping on the beach was when i was attaching the lines (3 minutes maybe?). The entire kite is like new but the TE are repaired on both sides on both kites... now i am looking for another quiver, most probably will not be SS
However SS produce very high standards components:
the lines are one of the best (if not the best) quality of the market
The bar is super strong
The LE of the kite is great
Valves and ...
everything is super strong, however i cannot fly a super strong kite with a super weak or broken TE
have fun and do not let you brain wash

Qomat
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Waukegan
Favorite Beaches: Kailua
Style: Freeride
Gear: RPM, Fuel,Nobile nhp

Postby Qomat » Wed May 20, 2015 5:26 am

I saw this post and thought i share.
I bought new 2012 RPM with my friend.
He used kite a bit more than me.
My kite just split in the air while I was riding.It puzzled me for a bit how this happened.Few weeks later my friend kite material just destroyed when hitting water.
Those kites get really hard usage on the edges between struts while flapping on the beach.You can see it's all worn down and waiting to brake any moment.I did complaint to SS since I can't afford buying new kites every 2.5year.They said new one is a bit more protected and indeed chcecking 2014 it has triangles build in on the edges to harden flapping edge.It doesn't change the fact that 2012 users thrown money away buying those.What worries me that my other friend 2013 fuel did same as mine kite and I got 2 of those as well.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg

Return to “Kitesurfing”