Local Beach: Golden Gardens, Richmond Beach, Double Bluff
Favorite Beaches: Double Bluff, The Hatchery, Damon Point
Style: Freeride
Gear: Naish, Board Riding Maui
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Please Lose the Straps

Postby Osprey1 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:37 pm

Unless it's overhead surf, blowing 40+, a super shallow reef break, you are aged 55 or older or you are Robbie Naish why would you ever ride straps on your surfboard?

Slaying waves strapless is so much more stylie than riding with those nasty foot clampers. If Reo can ride Teahupoo strapless than you surely can ride 5 foot swell and have a good time. Yes it is more difficult and you will body drag more, but it's ultimately much more rewarding when you slash the lip and then do a nice floater sans straps.

Some of you may say "I put straps on my surfboard so I can boost", but that's what a twintip is for. If you work at it you can learn to do decent size strapless airs in about 5 to 10 sessions. It's cool if you are one of those dudes who likes it the "way it is" and just wants to have fun riding your setup with straps. However, I think you'll find more personal reward and fun dedicating to only ride strapless for a time. Just my $.02. Regardless if you agree, have fun out there :thumb:
Last edited by Osprey1 on Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

cleepa
Frequent Poster

Re: Please Loose the Straps

Postby cleepa » Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:58 pm

I only ride strapless. I find it a lot more fun. On bigger days, I sometimes get my arse handed to me because of that and wish I had remembered to bring straps.

Having said that, who are you to tell someone what they should do? If someone wants to ride with straps, that's their choice, not the choice of some random back seat driver.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:18 pm

sounds like those guys who told me before to take of my handle for boardoffs.
Happy to have showed them what is possible if you use a handle. Way more!

So, leave straps to the guys who want to push it their way, and keep pushing your own favorite setup! :mosh:

Osprey1
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Golden Gardens, Richmond Beach, Double Bluff
Favorite Beaches: Double Bluff, The Hatchery, Damon Point
Style: Freeride
Gear: Naish, Board Riding Maui

Postby Osprey1 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:18 pm

Yeah, peace and love all around. Whatever you're into that's cool. We're all into the sport to have fun, so no hating here.

ced1
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cannon Rocks
Favorite Beaches: Cannon Rocks, Flag Beach, Anse la Raie, Witsands, Dolphin beach
Style: Big air, wave riding
Gear: Airush, Underwave

Postby ced1 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:04 am

I had a discussion about this with someone at a spot where they get onshore mushy, messy, all over the place waves. I watched everyone struggling strapless. I suggested that they put straps on which would improve and increase their fun time. Instead of falling off every 15 seconds.
"… But being strapless is so much cooler and if you have straps you look like a dork"
That's the answer I got. That's after watching everyone looking like total kooks ??

I would have put straps on and had a whole lot of fun. But no straps in sight. I borrowed a strapless board and went out and found it hard work.

At my home spot I ride both and choose depending on conditions. Limiting yourself because of "fashion" or trends is about as stupid as saying I'll keep smoking cigarettes because the adverts makes it look cool.

Don't let image limit your fun time…
Ced

Uride2
Medium Poster
Been thanked: 0

Re: Please Lose the Straps

Postby Uride2 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:41 am

Funny. After riding windsurf boards then kiting with surf boards, it was way easy to ride with out straps, at least in shoulder high or smaller. Very nice not to have those pesky straps in the way that were on the windsurf board.

That being said, more than half the time I usually ride with straps. Even though some think its not its not "style", I get a bigger grin :D . And that is what this is all about.

Dan Glyaire
Frequent Poster

Postby Dan Glyaire » Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:10 am

Osprey1 wrote: blah blah blah
and you will body drag more, but it's ultimately much more ..
blah blah blah
im rad :thumb:
thats awesome..piss off everyone else while youre dragging around the impact zone searching for your board.. again and again.
:thumb:

darippah
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Weight: 165
Local Beach: New Jersey, USA
Style: Hydrofoil big air
Gear: Sonic 3 13m , Soul 7 and 10m

Postby darippah » Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:21 am

I like the idea , but why are twin tips meant for jumping but not surfboards (with straps) i kinda feel like surfboards should be better at everything since its shape is designed for one direction with no sacrifices

Dustfarter
Rare Poster
Local Beach: La

Postby Dustfarter » Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:52 am

Osprey1 wrote:Unless it's overhead surf, blowing 40+, a super shallow reef break, you are aged 55 or older or you are Robbie Naish why would you ever ride straps on your surfboard?

Slaying waves strapless is so much more stylie than riding with those nasty foot clampers. If Reo can ride Teahupoo strapless than you surely can ride 5 foot swell and have a good time. Yes it is more difficult and you will body drag more, but it's ultimately much more rewarding when you slash the lip and then do a nice floater sans straps.

Some of you may say "I put straps on my surfboard so I can boost", but that's what a twintip is for. If you work at it you can learn to do decent size strapless airs in about 5 to 10 sessions. It's cool if you are one of those dudes who likes it the "way it is" and just wants to have fun riding your setup with straps. However, I think you'll find more personal reward and fun dedicating to only ride strapless for a time. Just my $.02. Regardless if you agree, have fun out there :thumb:
You forgot to post the ultra rad progressive vid of you slaying some overhead waves in nuking wind......oh wait you're likely just following the herd anyway and mowing the lawn chasing some ankle biters that a wake styler in boots would use as a kicker.

geokite
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Silver Strand, Mission Bay
Favorite Beaches: Sherman, Belmont
Style: Surf, Foil
Gear: Avoid the Triton foil board, made by Newind!

B: [Firewire SP, Kanaha MM, Triton] F: [Lift, Triton, Axis] K: [Kitech, Gin]

Postby geokite » Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:18 am

Ride what you want to ride, but I find strapless to be easier on the knees. More spots for your feet to go, nice when tacking upwind on the outside, or when the wind is light.

Steve

Return to “Kitesurfing”