Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Been flying trainer, any suggestions before a lesson?

Forum for kitesurfers
bna858
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Sarasota, FL
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Been flying trainer, any suggestions before a lesson?

Postby bna858 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:55 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions!

I think I'm ready for a lesson.

I just watched the progression beginner dvd, it is awesome for visualizing everything in my head. I'm really trying to focus on visualizing water starts and slide turns. Anyway, I got up first time I ever tried wakeboarding and wakeskating, so I'm hoping I can repeat.

Let me know if I have this right for visualizing (regular foot):

Water Start: Im on my back, wind to my back, board is up similar to wakeboarding waiting for a pull, kite is at around 1-2oclock. Then I dive the kite into the power zone over to about 10 oclock and pull on the bar. I simultaneously feel the kite pull my body up and feel the pressure on my feet, I put front foot pressure to get the board planing but focus on backfoot to start carving with the rail.

Slide Turn: While riding regular, I move the kite from 10oclock to noon while simultaneously carving upwind a bit. Then I fly the kite over to 2oclock and simultaneously switch pressure from right foot to left foot but keeping pressure on right (front foot) for speed and planing.

Thats how Im working this out in my head.

Anybody recommend a good trainer in the Sarasota/St. Pete area? I'm fairly athletic and have a history of boardsport experience...I'm trying to avoid being stuck on the beach with a trainer for hours.

Don Monnot
Frequent Poster

Postby Don Monnot » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:32 pm

Tampa Bay Kiteboarding?

Don

bna858
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Sarasota, FL

Postby bna858 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:15 pm

Don Monnot wrote:Tampa Bay Kiteboarding?

Don
I checked out their website, seems legit. But then I checked tripadvisor and there are a few negative reviews of "Steve" the lead instructor. I know most online reviews are usually negative and I don't give much weight to them...but can somebody here vouch for this school/instructor?

Tiago1973
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Portugal
Style: Freeriding

Postby Tiago1973 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:45 pm

Bna, my suggestion is based on my reality as i don't know how things are around there

Picking up a school is just not about learning and stuff, it's also a way for being introduced to the local crew, who will be the ones that will give u a hand in case of need once u are on yourself

So my advise is to go for a school within the same beach u plan to use once lessons are over

Return to “Kitesurfing”