Favorite Beaches: Balaton
Style: kingstyle
Gear: ferrarikite
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

North Rebel 2014

Postby balatonkitesurf » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:10 am

We bought the 2014 Rebel and I love it, my rebel in action here,with short review : http://kitesurf-balaton.hu/north-rebel-2014/ Cheers : Paula

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Re: North Rebel 2014

Postby matth » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:55 pm

I am looking to upgrade from my 2012 cabrhina vectors, which are great kites and have served me well.
It has come down to either 2014 switchblades or 2014 rebels. The new cabs are getting great reviews and I have been very happy with cabrinha so far with quality, bar, etc. That would be my natural upgrade. But the Rebel is really enticing me. I like the fact the safety is arguably the best, bar really looks top notch, great depower and range, excellent upwind and hang time, slower moving kite ,and light bar pressure .
The switchblade has a similar description from what I have read and heard. I know there are lots of other great kite out there but I have settled on these two.
Torn but leaning Rebel at the moment.

14ToeSide
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Sandy Spit
Gear: North, Ozone, Naish, Flysurfer
Brand Affiliation: What ever works Best that year

Postby 14ToeSide » Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:22 am

Buy the Rebel. For me, the worse the conditions get, the better the Rebel performs. U will not be dissapointed.

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:17 pm

14ToeSide wrote:Buy the Rebel. For me, the worse the conditions get, the better the Rebel performs. U will not be dissapointed.
The only negative thing I have heard about the rebel is getting the fifth line wrapped around kite. Do you find this to be a non factor?

Caesar
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Palm Cove, Port Douglas, Yorkeys Knob
Gear: Not telling unless I'm getting paid.
Brand Affiliation: Nothing...

Postby Caesar » Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:41 pm

matth wrote:The only negative thing I have heard about the rebel is getting the fifth line wrapped around kite. Do you find this to be a non factor?
For me - yes...

Johnny Rotten
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Surf and wake
Gear: Vegas
Torch
Neo's
Hand made boards of pure excellence

Postby Johnny Rotten » Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:05 pm

This decision depends ENTIRELY on where you want to go with your riding.

unhooking or planning on it --> switchblade Unhooking the rebel just drifts too fast and speed is not controllable.
wave riding --> rebels got more drift and faster turning and turns well with slack lines.

freeride either kite boosts big and has good wind range but I prefer the rebel due to the fast direct turning being able to generate more whip ;when launching.

In my opion if you stay hooked in there is no better kite than a rebel.

I haven't ridden the vector but your going from cab kites
(which fly like shit in MY opinion....slow ass pulleyed F'n bow kites)
So the direct north style of kite may feel very different
(and fly like shit in YOUR opinion)

matth
Very Frequent Poster

Postby matth » Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:32 pm

Johnny Rotten wrote:This decision depends ENTIRELY on where you want to go with your riding.

unhooking or planning on it --> switchblade Unhooking the rebel just drifts too fast and speed is not controllable.
wave riding --> rebels got more drift and faster turning and turns well with slack lines.

freeride either kite boosts big and has good wind range but I prefer the rebel due to the fast direct turning being able to generate more whip ;when launching.

In my opion if you stay hooked in there is no better kite than a rebel.

I haven't ridden the vector but your going from cab kites
(which fly like shit in MY opinion....slow ass pulleyed F'n bow kites)
So the direct north style of kite may feel very different
(and fly like shit in YOUR opinion)
thanks Johnny

I will be hooked only, cruising, working on hooked in style tricks and transitions, a little small wave action.
I think Cab has dumped a lot of their pullies, the new kites are supposed to have a more direct feel.

14ToeSide
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Sandy Spit
Gear: North, Ozone, Naish, Flysurfer
Brand Affiliation: What ever works Best that year

Postby 14ToeSide » Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:47 pm

I do not find wrapping the fifth line a problem. However I don't do tricks, spins etc and hardly ever dump kite in surf. As said its up to the kind of riding. The Rebels have a Huge range is another reason and Super stable in gusts.

I'm sure wrapping the line can happen if it's the wright Scenerio.

Johnny Rotten
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Surf and wake
Gear: Vegas
Torch
Neo's
Hand made boards of pure excellence

Postby Johnny Rotten » Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:01 pm

As to wrapping the fifth,

this will only occur if you crash the kite and the lines go slack wind takes the kite and it rolls
Does this happen to you much on the vector? If no, not a concern.

a few ways this can "commonly" happen

you crash and waves push you towards the kite generating slack wind takes kite and rolls it before line tension is restored

you crash the kite while on a wave (usually trying to loop it... and the wave pushes you downwind towards the crashed kite)

you crash the kite into the water while still airborne and fly towards it in a jump.

I get a 5th line wrap about 1-2 times per YEAR usually in waves due to trying to loop a larger kite to pull in the line slack I can get the kite to spin around about 50% of the time. and in 10 years of flying 5 line kites I have never damaged a kite.

when this occurs and is not recoverable, I just let the bowtied kite pull me to shore. and I release to the 5th and walk back to the kite most of my kiting spots I can touch bottom before the kite gets into any shore hazards.

In excange for the 1-2 times I let the bowtied kite, tow me in, I get

a) REALLY good safety, I've been hit by SEVERE gusts and am thankful I don't have a 2 front line safety system or suicide rigging. I don't want DEPOWER, when I pull the release, shit is VERY bad the kite needs to be DISABLED. IDS systems I've seen seize and or stay uncomfortably powered in some sketchy situations. (albeit on older kites)

Unless it's a single front line flag or a 5th I just don't trust other safety systems. Kites fly on 2 front lines....very well in many cases. especially if the wind is SUPER heavy. Unless I've tested it in a gust that 20+ knots outside of the kites recommended wind range. I'm not convinced it's gunna be there for me.

b) self landing is no problem edge of the window, kite low release to safety and kite lands leading edge down into the wind 95% of the time, the other 5% in really gusty conditions it flips over completely depowered.
A low Y with a reachable front line allows you to do the same as does a single front line flagging safety .

I fly rebels, (wave) vegas (wakestyle) and dyno(lightwind) pay for my kites and have no north affiliation.
I learned on C kites, have owned demo'd bow kites and hated all of them

I can appreciate the switchblades pull and stability when unhooked and properly trimmed
as well as it's loft when jumping.

matth
Very Frequent Poster

Postby matth » Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:41 pm

Thanks for the input guys. Sounds spot on from what I have seen and heard. I think the safety and direct steering of the 5th line easily out weigh any negatives.

Return to “Kitesurfing”