Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Cold Glove & Boot Recommendations

Forum for kitesurfers
fat blokes can fly
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Ozone Edge 7, 10, 13, 17.
Best Kiteboarding RP 52cm Bar, 22m lines.
Shinn Bronq 136 x 42.
Flyradical S 128cm.
Brand Affiliation: None

Cold Glove & Boot Recommendations

Postby fat blokes can fly » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:15 am

Over the years I have become somewhat of a fair weather kiter, but this year would like to go all through the winter.

I own a good dry suit, but need good cold weather boots and gloves for the cold English winter.

Recommendations please for the latest gear available, or older tried and tested items available :thumb:

Adam

Dirk
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: St. Peter Ording
Favorite Beaches: St. Peter Ording, Tarifa, Sylt
Style: Freeride, jumping, waves, foiling
Gear: Naish Pivot, Slash, Boxer, Global, Motion, Traverse, Hero, Naish Hover, Naish Surf Foil
Has thanked: 0

Re: COLD GLOVE & BOOT RECOMMENDATIONS

Postby Dirk » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:47 am

My personal minimum is around 2-3 C° water and air (German coast). Drysuit, 7mm Rip Curl boots (a couple of years old, I guess now it is the Flashbomb bootie, round toe although I prefer split toes it works well), 3mm O´Neill Gooru gloves.
I ride spots with these temperatures which are side/onshore, where I ride close to the beach or were the water is about hip deep.

sijandy
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freestyle
Gear: kites and boards
Been thanked: 0

Re: Cold Glove & Boot Recommendations

Postby sijandy » Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:48 pm

Hands is the biggie for me, if someone could solve that issue then i'd be sorted. I got crap circulation and once it goes much below 10deg is game over for me - suks! The oneill lobster claw was about the best i found but caines your arms to shit after bout 30mins.

Lives2fly
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Barvas, Gress, Sheilabost, Luskentyre, Reef, Ardroil, Melbost, Tong
Style: Freeride/Freestyle
Gear: Naish Cults, Bolts & Parks

Postby Lives2fly » Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:25 pm

I have beenusing Mystic open palm mits. they have been more than warm enough so far and you can easily take them off your fingers when you need them for adjusting your depower strap or whatever. The open palm saves your arms from getting tired quickly like they do if you are trying to hold your bar through 3mm of neoprene.

https://www.kingofwatersports.com/item. ... 37632.html

Rip Curl flashbomb, O'neil Heat or Xcel Drylock 7mm boots will probably be your best bet for a warm boot.

sijandy
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freestyle
Gear: kites and boards

Postby sijandy » Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:48 pm

Lives2fly wrote:I have beenusing Mystic open palm mits. they have been more than warm enough so far and you can easily take them off your fingers when you need them for adjusting your depower strap or whatever. The open palm saves your arms from getting tired quickly like they do if you are trying to hold your bar through 3mm of neoprene.

https://www.kingofwatersports.com/item. ... 37632.html

Rip Curl flashbomb, O'neil Heat or Xcel Drylock 7mm boots will probably be your best bet for a warm boot.
Many people swear by just using a pair of marigolds, i wonder if anyones tried doubling the marigolds with an open palm glove/mitt? Marigolds to keep dry, neoprene to keep warm and the hole in the palm for relieving the mucle ache... could be a good combo.

Dirk
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Naish Pivot, Slash, Boxer, Global, Motion, Traverse, Hero, Naish Hover, Naish Surf Foil

Postby Dirk » Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:55 pm

Hands, the grip and sore forearms are also the biggest issue for me. The best closed gloves I have so far are the ION Clawfinger. I can ride these for hours but they are not the warmest. They work for me down to 5 C°. Below that the Goorus are warmer as they have that dipped latex smooth skin surface and are better sealed.

NYKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Wave
Gear: .

Postby NYKiter » Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:29 pm

Once you go dryglove you never go back to wet....

Dirk
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Dirk » Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:24 pm

How is the durability on these?

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35

Postby davesails7 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:50 pm

Where do you buy dry gloves?

I can't stand wearing boots. The board just doesn't feel right, so I wear neoprene socks. They are really cheap. I have a 2mm pair I wear most of the time and 5mm for the really cold days.

For gloves I have the Ocean Rodeo Coldfire 3mm. i don't think they are especially warm. At first they hurt my forearms because they were stiff, so I rolled them up in the direction you grip the bar and left a weight on them over night. Made a HUGE difference, now my arms don't get tired.

I just picked up one of the Ocean Rodeo Predator Surf Drysuits and I'm really impressed with it. The multi layer suit helps keep water out of your gloves and boots/socks. The glove rests tight on the drysuit seal and the "wetsuit" layer fits tight on that. No water in gloves for the first hour I was out yesterday including body dragging with hands under water.

Dirk
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Dirk » Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:16 pm

I have the same OR suit. It's great and I am curious what the new model will look like. When they ever come up with it.
I found those dry gloves on ebay. Seems to be a regular product in divers' shops.

Return to “Kitesurfing”