Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Looking for Ocean Rodeo Soul Dry Suit real user reviews

Forum for kitesurfers
ORSales
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Looking for Ocean Rodeo Soul Dry Suit real user reviews

Postby ORSales » Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:50 pm

NHKiter...

Good question. There's a couple reasons for these. The first is that they are neoprene so they offer some insulation when standing on the beach with hands in your pockets. The 2nd is that neoprene stretches so it gives the jacket hem some "give" if you wish to - for example - roll it up to expose your harness while the jacket is zipped. The stretch also helps ensure the jacket itself won't hinder your movement if it partially binds when riding, giving the jacket some stretch to accommodate your movements.

The Heat doesn't have these pockets, if you find them annoying!

markchatwin
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby markchatwin » Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:16 pm

I had the Pyro Pro for my first suit and vowed to get my next suit in a bigger size to comfortably allow for fleece and movement. I'm 5'8", 160 lbs which puts me in a medium but I got the Medium King. Even though this is a "wider" suit I still can fight a little to get my left shoulder and arm in with 2 warm layers on but it is relatively easy. A medium would not cut it.

The MK size is really for the guy with thick wrists/ankles/neck - a "Popeye" type forearm, etc… But I am a normal size medium guy - in fact maybe narrow wrists and ankles. So I have to simply pull the seals up higher on my wrists and ankles to get a good seal.

The neck seal is the only issue. It's too large for a normal medium guy neck. My tips are to pull it down low on my neck, keep the seal lubricated with the product OR recommends. And even with some looseness the upper torso still traps air and I have to let air out so the seal is doing what it's supposed to. I imagine in regular frontal Superman crashes that I would take on water but I do not do that anymore :)

Some day when money is gushing I am going to order this same suit custom with the next smaller size down seal but still in MK size because that is the only way to get ease of entry…

It's a great suit

ORSales
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ORSales » Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:04 pm

Mark!

If you're interested, we do sell replacement seals with a dry adhesive that can let you replace your neck seal yourself or I can connect you with a suitable US or Canadian repair facility to do so for you?

NHKitesurfer
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: MA/NH
Gear: Switch & Cabrinha
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby NHKitesurfer » Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:28 pm

ORSales wrote:NHKiter...

Good question. There's a couple reasons for these. The first is that they are neoprene so they offer some insulation when standing on the beach with hands in your pockets. The 2nd is that neoprene stretches so it gives the jacket hem some "give" if you wish to - for example - roll it up to expose your harness while the jacket is zipped. The stretch also helps ensure the jacket itself won't hinder your movement if it partially binds when riding, giving the jacket some stretch to accommodate your movements.

The Heat doesn't have these pockets, if you find them annoying!
Thanks!! But my Soul is relatively new and I expect to get quite a bit of use out of it before upgrading unless you want to do a 1:1 swap :)

A few of us putting our Souls' through the paces last Sunday in freezing temps, blinding snow and ice pellets. I'm wearing the blue Soul with the October Cancer awareness Pink laluz board :)

http://vimeo.com/110863063

ORSales
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ORSales » Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:57 pm

NHKitesurfer wrote:
Man, that looks cold!

It's worth noting that our drysuits are made in such a way as to allow you to layer up or down under them... so, you can easily get out in some really crummy weather like in that video but you can also use them well into the shoulder seasons... we rate the suits as 3+ season!

Worth pointing out too... one of my favourite aspects of our drysuits comes in the video @2:36 when I see you guys all hanging out after your session. The drysuits make it so comfortable and easy to continue being social after your session, regardless of the time of year!

NHKitesurfer
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: MA/NH
Gear: Switch & Cabrinha
Been thanked: 0

Postby NHKitesurfer » Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:18 pm

I put mine in convertible mode (unzip neck and take my arms out of it) and drive home with it on. No sense in exposing myself to the elements when I don't have to.

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12

Postby CaptainArgh » Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:11 pm

ORSales wrote:...Worth pointing out too... one of my favourite aspects of our drysuits comes in the video @2:36 when I see you guys all hanging out after your session. The drysuits make it so comfortable and easy to continue being social after your session, regardless of the time of year!
In fairness, the breathable material does hold minimal water in the outer layer. 30 minutes after you get out of the water if you touch the suit, it is still damp, even if you are dry inside. And as a cold wind blows on that suit and it evaporates, you can get a chill. So it's not just like wearing a ski parka and pants which would be ambivalent to the wind....but it's close. Before your session it is ideal.

As far as I know this is true of all drysuit material. I don't know if they make one that sheds 100% of the water. ? This is significantly better than the old SurfDry suit in which the entire outer layer was saturated after a session and you'd never find folks sitting around afterwards on a 30F degree day!

Again, I still love the suit and there is a thorough review of it here. I used it twice this weekend. Both 2 hour sessions. On the first day it was cloudy and after my session I got chilly standing around. On the second day it was actually colder and windier, but the sun was out. I stayed warm after the session. As long you have a proper winter coat around as a backup, there are no issues. I use the OR one piece long underwear which are warm, dense and moisture wicking. :thumb:

ORSales
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ORSales » Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:32 pm

CaptainArgh wrote:As far as I know this is true of all drysuit material. I don't know if they make one that sheds 100% of the water?
We could make suits that are not absorbent at all but they would be rubber, and therefore not breathable. If you're finding that your suit is trapping too much moisture it might be time to hit it with Nik Wax's TX Direct Spray On. That product does wonders for rejuvenating your suit's water barrier and breathability (water clogs the breathing holes).

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12

Postby CaptainArgh » Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:39 pm

ORSales wrote:We could make suits that are not absorbent at all but they would be rubber, and therefore not breathable. If you're finding that your suit is trapping too much moisture it might be time to hit it with Nik Wax's TX Direct Spray On. That product does wonders for rejuvenating your suit's water barrier and breathability (water clogs the breathing holes).
Thanks! :thumb:
I would be afraid to put anything on the suit without your guidance, but if that helps repel water and does not impact function, I'll pick up a bottle.

ORSales
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ORSales » Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:14 pm

CaptainArgh wrote: Thanks! :thumb:
I would be afraid to put anything on the suit without your guidance, but if that helps repel water and does not impact function, I'll pick up a bottle.
It's an amazing product. We recommend that you use it as you see fit but the general advice is that if you find the suit starting to "weep" a bit or feel damp inside after a session, it's time to apply TX Direct. The product refreshes the waterproof barrier of the product and - in so doing - increases the breathability of the suit as well.

Return to “Kitesurfing”