DimitriB
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Looking for Ocean Rodeo Soul Dry Suit real user reviews

Postby DimitriB » Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:19 am

Hello guys,

I am selling my brand new Soul size small check it...

second_hand.php?task=showAd&id=46546&Itemid=

Ice101
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Free ride want to branch into strapless riding and more freestyle

Postby Ice101 » Thu May 27, 2021 1:39 am

What can you do to stop the latex seals melting after two years?

GregK
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Comox, BC
CANADA
Style: Average
Gear: Lift V2 Surf & HA wingsets
Ocean Rodeo kites & wings
Brand Affiliation: started Comox Kite Repair

Postby GregK » Thu May 27, 2021 1:59 am

1. Avoid contaminating or leaving sunscreen on them. Nothing rots the natural latex rubber in them faster than some of the ingredients in many sunscreens.

2. Dry your suit in the shade. Extended UV exposure kills the seals too.

3. Rinse the inside of your seals with clean fresh water, particularly if you have had a hard session and have perspired. Some people's perspiration, if left to dry on the seals can cause them to decay.

4. Once or maybe twice during the in-use season, wash the seals with a pure soap ( no oils, fragrances, or moisturizers ), rinse really well and dry. Then rub in to the narrow ends of the seal inside and out a few drops of latex seal conditioner ( pure low-viscosity silicone oil ). McNett ( now GearAid ) used to market this product ( low-visoscity ) as Seal Saver in the North America, now they are only selling it in Europe - here's one source for it : https://www.scubastore.com/scuba-diving ... lsrc=aw.ds

5. Before putting your suit away for the warm season, do # 4 . After lubricating the seals, tuck them inside the suit to minimize air contact. I've heard ozone will also degrade latex. Store your suit in a cool and dry place.

Drysuits with latex seals require more maintenance effort than a thick neoprene wetsuit, but the loose fit and from that the ability to layer-up with fleece to suit the air and water temperatures, plus the freedom of movement while wearing the suit compared to the restrictions of a thick neoprene suit, make a drysuit worth the required maintenance for many kiters.
These users thanked the author GregK for the post:
irwe (Thu May 27, 2021 10:20 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.

Postby Foil » Thu May 27, 2021 6:35 am

as a user of drysuits over the past 45 years I can offer some solid advice to keep the latex seals happy and long lasting, I have 2 ocean rodeo dry suits, the lighter less fussy versions, the "soul heat" versions, by far my best ever dry suits, and use them in rotation nearly every day for the 6months or more of the cold season, the seals are now in their 6th year and still feel and look like new, I only use the suits with ankle seals not the silly boots option, which are unsuitable for long term regular use in our sport and similar sports like windsurfing where feet coverings need to be carefully considered. boot option on these suits just bunch up under your foot, ruddy uncomfortable, too bulky, and damage far too easily.
After every session my suit is dunked in a tub of fresh warm water and rinsed thoroughly, then hung up to dry in my garage, drip tray beneath, that works well on dry days but its taken indoors to dry on cold wet days for a faster warmer gentle dry, once dried out, use baby talc to powder the latex seals, wrist seals,neck and ankle seals all get a good dusting, all over inside and out, a little goes a long way, the seals are then nice and slippy, no sticky feel, basically they feel and look new again, even after 6 years of hard near daily use.
As for the zip, keep any thing made with oil away from the suit seals and the plastic type zip, use spray silicone only as the best zip lube and protector, mine is still as good as new and zips up so smoothly and super fast without any hint of sticky resistance, don't use other spray lubes, only silicone pure, not the stuff with added ptfe or other ingredients, keep it simple, and remember silicone is not made from from oil so great for keeping your rubber bits safe and slippy.
don't use any cosmetics around your neck area, no sun screen, no oily fingers must touch the seals, keep the seals away from direct sunlight, tuck the wrist seals inside the neck seal and then tuck that inside the suit after application of talc powder, then tuck in the legs down inside the suit as well after a dusting with talc powder on the seals, then the suit is easy to carry around and not risk snagging a latex seal in the car door or even step on as you carry it to the car. (done both in the past)
it is easy to damage the seals through being careless, use the talc, its so cheap, and makes the suit smell great as well, bonus!!
These users thanked the author Foil for the post (total 3):
apollo4000 (Thu May 27, 2021 7:28 am) • irwe (Thu May 27, 2021 10:21 am) • igorlopasovsky (Wed Sep 20, 2023 8:09 pm)
Rating: 9.09%

McLovin
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Weight: 124 kg
Local Beach: The Columbia River Gorge
Favorite Beaches: Rufus & Rooster - sandy ones with smooth wind
Style: TT - Newbie Foiler
Gear: Armstrong FOIL - SS Dwarfcraft - North Code Zero 7,8 - CORE Section 4,5 XR 7,9 Ocean Rodeo RISE (A) 9/10/11 Ocean Rodeo Flite 14.5(A), CARVE Imperator 151cm TT and Crazy Fly Raptor 140cm Neon TT - Ocean Rodeo Ignites Drysuit - Mystic Majestic 5/4 4/3 other stuff...
Brand Affiliation: Just stuff I like... THANKS Armie!

Postby McLovin » Thu May 27, 2021 7:29 pm

Another perspective:

I respect FOIL's near daily use going back 45 years, but not sure what drysuits you were using in 1976? Ocean Rodeo wasn't even a company until 2001 So for the benefit of the OP I offer another perspective.

Get a DRYSUIT 100% - OR suits are great I had a HEAT suit with booties - FOIL is off base on this - the last thing in the world you want is leg gaskets, why F*ck around with additional time getting the suit on and off when you can don it like a FIREMAN and keep your feet dry as a baby's bottom in talc and merino wool. In drysuit season you will NEVER go barefoot, so just put your booties over the integrated socks. Most if not all the people telling you otherwise either don't even have a drysuit or have never had one with socks. You can just use your 3mm booties or if you want the best get a pair of 5mm booties and peel out the neoprene footbed leaving you with a 5mm surround with a 1-1.5m footbed increasing board feel.

Regarding the seals, they aren't that fragile - I used my suit a bunch and did the baby powder thing like 3 or 4 times in two years and everything was fine they are not made of jello - just go kite and do so in a drysuit when it's cold.

Post script - this year I upgraded to the OR Ignites which makes everything you are asking moot - the Ignites has pimp neoprene seals and it's warm enough for the Canadian NAVY so you could skip the starter suit and just get an Ignites and be done.

Good Luck!

Remember to get good gloves and stay closer to shore than in the warm season - just in case...

Mc

:dance:

Return to “Kitesurfing”