Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sunshine Coast
Favorite Beaches: Cotton Tree
Style: surf
Gear: Switch
FireWire
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Are Switch kites getting any better?

Postby topmick » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:12 am

Faxie wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:53 pm
Got an Element6 9m in the mail today to test. Not planning to keep it, because I don't think it suits my needs. But who knows, maybe I'll be stoked after riding it.
So, is it a keeper ???

Faxie
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Netherlands. Maasvlakte, Slufter, Domburg, Brouwersdam, Ouddorp, Vrouwenpolder, Grevelingen.
Style: Freeride, freestyle, wave.
Gear: Crazyfly Hyper 2022 7-9-12, Infinity 2021 9, Raptor Extreme 2020, selfmade bar.

Postby Faxie » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:32 pm

topmick wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:12 am
Faxie wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:53 pm
Got an Element6 9m in the mail today to test. Not planning to keep it, because I don't think it suits my needs. But who knows, maybe I'll be stoked after riding it.
So, is it a keeper ???
It's more an allrounder and that's not what I'm looking for in my personal quiver.

Faxie
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Netherlands. Maasvlakte, Slufter, Domburg, Brouwersdam, Ouddorp, Vrouwenpolder, Grevelingen.
Gear: Crazyfly Hyper 2022 7-9-12, Infinity 2021 9, Raptor Extreme 2020, selfmade bar.

Postby Faxie » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:56 pm

Took a day off tomorrow. Gonna be something around 30 knots... maybe a bit more, maybe a bit less. According to WF gusty as well. So probably won't be a freestyle session, but shouldn't be as overpowered as last time. And there's a slight chance that I will be riding my 7m if the gusts are too strong...

alford
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: all brands

Postby alford » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:32 pm

faxie for mayor!

lewmt
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mtns

Postby lewmt » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:39 am

I've gotten 3 sessions in on snow with a 12M E6 now. 1 Session was in deeper powder & the other 2 on firmer, faster surface. On each occasion I was also flying a Flysurfer Boost 2, 15M. Winds were light every time so far.

I don't have any special allegiance to Switch other than I like their customer service & the way they listen to customers. I've had E5's, 3's & Nitro 5's. I've also flown the FS mentioned above, SS Rallys, BRM C2's, SS RPM's, & some Ozone kites. I was pretty skeptical of the 6-pulley bridle. I figured I'd try 1 & if it sucked I'd send it back on their 30 day return policy.

I've found this kite to be equal to its hype so far. I think if Switch was primarily shooting for a versatile kite they nailed it. Since my only time with it so far has been in snow & light wind I can't comment on numerous aspects yet. The ones I can comment on:

Generates very nice power for its size. In the deeper snow session I was not really getting much boosting power out of the 15FS. I assumed I'd barely be able to slog with the 12. I was really surprised at how active & fluid the kite flew in those winds. I was able to generate speed, carve nice turns & have fun with it, & no worries going upwind. Toeside runs going downhill at the kite I had to pay attention & keep the kite active but it reacts to bar input so smoothly it wasn't a problem. Looping was smooth and provided a nice continuum of power through the loop. I wasn't able to try boosting because there just wasn't enough wind.

Hopefully soon I can get a more powered up session & see how she boosts.

Additionally - my wife who is a novice & has had some difficulty with the E5's last winter has had several breakthrough sessions with the 12 E6. Going upwind & relaunch ability are the big things she's commented on.

Faxie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Faxie » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:34 pm

Rode it for 2 hours today in 28-36 knots of wind. Same story as last time tbh. Rides smooth, jumps easy, good turning speed even when depowered, plenty reactivity though not super direct. Did some downloops today and they were nice and gentle. But I still think the amount of pull bounces around a bit in high and gusty winds... it felt a bit like a Bandit in that regard though less agressive...

alford
Very Frequent Poster

Postby alford » Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:00 am

Faxie, not sure I understand. Are you saying the kite gets nervous or twitchy in gusty conditions at the top end of its wind range?
Thanks

Faxie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Faxie » Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:49 am

alford wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:00 am
Faxie, not sure I understand. Are you saying the kite gets nervous or twitchy in gusty conditions at the top end of its wind range?
Thanks
Not twitchy or nervous, but the pull seems to fluctuate a bit after a gust. Nothing major, but noticable. I didn't notice that at all when I was waveriding with it btw.

lewmt
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mtns

Postby lewmt » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:14 pm

@galewarning
Anyone think this is part of the Element6 bloodline?
https://ikon-kiteboarding.com/product/peak-3/

And in the smaller E6 one-strut sizes...
https://ikon-kiteboarding.com/product/peak-3xs/

Maybe Switch will derive a version of Ikon's Empire foil kite... [edit: URL added]
https://ikon-kiteboarding.com/product/empire-1/

-Barry
Last edited by galewarning on Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There are a lot of suspicious similarities. The biggest problem Ikon has is the $800+ more I'd have to pay for its version

alford
Very Frequent Poster

Postby alford » Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:48 pm

I'm starting a new topic for the Element 6

Return to “Kitesurfing”