Miyako
Style: Free Ride
Gear: Flysurfer Speed 3 12m
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Cabrinha Overdrive question

Postby Okinawa Kiter » Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:46 am

Can it be reset in the water? A friend of mine was swearing up and down that it can't. Said there is no videos or pictures online that shows that it can be. Also said it would pull too hard while it's sitting on it's leading edge to be able to reset.

Can't find any info on this.

Seems weird that it can't.

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Re: Cabrinha Overdrive question

Postby Laughingman » Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:59 am

Okinawa Kiter wrote:Can it be reset in the water? A friend of mine was swearing up and down that it can't. Said there is no videos or pictures online that shows that it can be. Also said it would pull too hard while it's sitting on it's leading edge to be able to reset.

If your talkin 2011-13 ... Only if you are lucky. I'm refering to the system which safeties to the two front lines. Typically what happens is the kite will relaunch with inverted lines. That's if you can manage to reassemble the safety. Not a great system if that is a prerequisite. Aside from that it's good.

Okinawa Kiter
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mibaru Okinawa Japan
Favorite Beaches: Mibaru Okinawa Japan
Miyako
Style: Free Ride
Gear: Flysurfer Speed 3 12m

Postby Okinawa Kiter » Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:05 am

Not a prerequisite as I have not released in the water for at least 8 years, but what about beginners or if out and a squall hits and had to drop the kite. Seems far more important that you could reset the system than having all the other BS on the bar.

Talking about 2014 bar with the bar adjust.

OK noted. The Epic kites seem to have the bar and reset down perfectly. This and sitting at the side of the window.

PVITfrumBYRAM
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, NC
Style: Instruction

Postby PVITfrumBYRAM » Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:00 am

Are you referring to the safety mechanism and resetting it? 2011-2013 Once the kite is flagged out, you can clip your leash to the high Y. I believe some years there was a metal swivel. I'm not sure at this point but you can clip your leash there for the dual front line safety models, then you can use both hands to reset the chicken loop. Hold the bar under your armpit to allow yourself two hands to push the release knob against the bungees and flip the metal clasp with your other hand. If you can hold that mess in place with one hand you can use your other hand to run the fifth line out by the trim adjuster. Then you can make sure you are not all tangled or inverted, then hold the high Y and clip the leash back in to your safety and then let out the center line making sure to not get and tangles going in the drift.

Think it out and simulate it before trying it in the water but it's do-able.

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board

Postby Laughingman » Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:38 am

Okinawa Kiter wrote:Not a prerequisite as I have not released in the water for at least 8 years, but what about beginners or if out and a squall hits and had to drop the kite. Seems far more important that you could reset the system than having all the other BS on the bar.

Talking about 2014 bar with the bar adjust.

OK noted. The Epic kites seem to have the bar and reset down perfectly. This and sitting at the side of the window.
The 2014 cab bar reassembles and relaunches fine in my experience. It works the same as the epic system (flags to one center line) but you are right the epic is easier to reassemble ... Generally.
I have two 2014 cab bars, really nice but I also have a naish bar which I retrofitted with the epic chickenloop and I honestly prefer that bar over the cab, mostly because it has a sliding stopper (which I installed) and ease of reassembly. I don't use a hook so a chickenloop that opens is preferred. You should be fine with that bar.

Eurus
Frequent Poster

Postby Eurus » Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:41 am

Okinawa Kiter wrote:Can it be reset in the water? A friend of mine was swearing up and down that it can't. Said there is no videos or pictures online that shows that it can be. Also said it would pull too hard while it's sitting on it's leading edge to be able to reset.

Some will say it cannot and some will say it can but regardless it is very hard to reset in the water. I even e-mailed Cabrinha tech support asking them why they would design a quick release system that could not be reset in the water and their direct response was this:

"As is clearly stated in the user manual, QR1 is only designed to be used in situations where you want to shut down your kite and end your session. As with almost any single line flagging safety system, it's not designed to be activated and reset in the water."

I have owned other kites whose QR systems were very easy to reset in the water. I've never owned an EPIC kite but recently Dimitri showed me his QR system and it was so incredibly simple.

I like the new Cabrinha kites I own and I really like the on the fly adjustable bar but the QR system is not well thought out. Maybe I am missing their logic behind it but it doesn't make sense to me.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:00 am

I don't think it's a lot harder than the old IDS version... I've pulled and reset the 2011+ QR on the water just to see if it could be done. It can be :D

But the Cab bar is designed that if you just let go the bar, the kite should depower (ugh) enough to roll over into a safety position...

Lanc
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kite Beach, Cape Town
Favorite Beaches: Paje, Zanzibar
Green Island, Antigua
Low Bay, Barbuda
Style: Wave and Old School
Gear: Switchblade/Nomad/Drifter/Pivot/Rebel/Nitro
Underground FLX 132
F-One Mitu Monteiro Pro

Postby Lanc » Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:34 am

I suppose it can be done in the water after lots and lots of practice. I've activated the QR1 on the 2014 bar about three times now while self landing in 25kn+ wind. Man!! what a mission it is to put the thing back together. I'd hate to try and do it in the water. Takes me at least 2 minutes to get the thing back together while on the beach. Luckily I've never had to activate a cabrinha QR1 ever while on the water as just letting the bar go always worked fine. I've only always tested the QR release on the beach.

Page 15 of the 1X manual http://pr.cabrinhakites.com/manuals/pdf ... 014_en.pdf has a very simple (in theory) reseting procedure which I find not as simple in practice.

The 2009-2013 IDS bar with the high Y was a lot easier to self land in strong winds than the new low V 1X bar. I almost had a kitemare on the new 1X bar trying to perform to usual tug one meter up the front line landing when the thing took off and lofted me by about a meter into the air hanging onto the low V part of front lines by only one finger.

Eurus
Frequent Poster

Postby Eurus » Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:27 pm

The problem with the manual is the example is not under load from the wind. If you have a decent level of pull against the kite (from the wind) as it sits in the water you have to hold onto a very slippery plastic sheath when you go to re-engage the chicken loop with the tower. On the back of the hinge is a small raised area where you can rest the tower against it to keep the housing from prematurely but you have to grab the plastic sheathing in order to pull against the tension pull of the kite. This is where the system fails because it will prematurely close the housing before you have the pin fully engaged. We messed around with this system in 10 kt winds in the water and could not get it to reset because it is not designed to do so under tension.

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Laughingman » Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:21 pm

And without tension the safety line has to be pulled through them pu sheath and,kept taught while you reengage the clasp... Funny considering the amount of engineering that goes into this system...

Return to “Kitesurfing”