Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Flying lines breaking strength of various brands

Forum for kitesurfers
clydesdale
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Flying lines breaking strength of various brands

Postby clydesdale » Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:58 am

Looking at various flying line breaking strength of brands since I tend to break bar lines more often. If respective brand site didn't list I just did simple search, and nothing I left a ?. Please correct ones I have if wrong and list more if know them - thanks

Best RP - ?
Best extract - 450 kN/101164lb/45887kg (? - best site lists breaking strength at 450 kN)
Core - 811lb/368kg
F One - ?
Liquid Force - ?
Naish - ?
North - 661lb/300kg
Slingshot - 800lb/362kg

Pks replacement line set- think are 600lb/272kg

knyfe
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Flying lines breaking strength of various brands

Postby knyfe » Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:52 am

LOL ... 450kN ... a good typo for sure ... Best at its best .... My guess is they dont even know what that "k" suppose to be for kN ... I want to see the weight of 30 cars dangling on ONE of their lines..

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:57 pm

There's no secret just look at how thick it is 2mm is 800 pound line 1.75 is 600 some lines have 800 on the center lines

Gigi;)
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Gigi;) » Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:51 pm

cglazier
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Naish, Flysurfer, Alpine, Moses
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby cglazier » Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:10 pm

All kite lines are made of Spectra or Dyneema which are two different brands of the same polyethelene material. There are different grades of this stuff but generally you get higher breaking strength wth thicker line. It is that simple.

Lines contribute significantly to the drag on a kite in performance. Kite racers often choose thinner kite lines for better performance. Kite manufacturers choose lines that are a compromise of performance versus strength, and they supply lines that are appropriate for average sized kiters.

If all you care about is breaking strength then choose thicker lines (or simply double up your lines). If performance, stretch, and durability matter then this one line parameter is not the whole story.

:wink: CG

peet
Medium Poster
Style: Wakestyle
Gear: Airush Razor / Livewire / Cypher / Wave / Vantage
Shinn ADHD
Brand Affiliation: Team rider for Airush / Shinn
Been thanked: 0

Postby peet » Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:21 pm

I read the 2014 Hadlow is shipping with 450Kg :)

woodfu
Frequent Poster

Postby woodfu » Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:47 am

On this subject i had a chance to check out some RRD lines a week ago. They were really stiff with a very fine braid. They reminded me of a Q line but much thinner. I was impressed, they seemed super strong, same diameter but seemingly stronger then my naish lines that a lot of brands use and i've always thought were good.

And much better then the lines north and core etc use... Anyone know the specs on the RRD lines?

NYKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Wave
Gear: .

Postby NYKiter » Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:47 am

I do wonder about weave density, slingshot weaves are very intricate as compared to say cabrinha.

FarQueLot
Medium Poster
Gear: Ozone,Slingshot,my own
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby FarQueLot » Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:00 am

woodfu wrote:On this subject i had a chance to check out some RRD lines a week ago. They were really stiff with a very fine braid. They reminded me of a Q line but much thinner. I was impressed, they seemed super strong, same diameter but seemingly stronger then my naish lines that a lot of brands use and i've always thought were good.

And much better then the lines north and core etc use... Anyone know the specs on the RRD lines?
whilst not wanting to state the obvious, seemed strong and seemingly stronger are not any form of practical or scientific test, just as name dropping a few manufacturers names and hinting at others and stating they are sub-standard.
Have used many flavours of line, a few have broken, but generally from abrasion from launch/obstacle incidents, checking lines each time is a good habit.
Tightly woven lines have less give and will break under there stated load in shock stress,
loosely woven lines will stretch and creep causing poor flying characteristics.
Have broken Qpower lines as well as others and since SS upped there front lines to 800lb have had no more issues with line breaks, and like the way it behaves, don't have much experience with others other than Naish, which is also good quality.
My feeling is that if the load is that great, I want it to break before it breaks you, and many breaks are operator induced
luv
F

woodfu
Frequent Poster

Postby woodfu » Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:01 am

FarQueLot wrote:
woodfu wrote:On this subject i had a chance to check out some RRD lines a week ago. They were really stiff with a very fine braid. They reminded me of a Q line but much thinner. I was impressed, they seemed super strong, same diameter but seemingly stronger then my naish lines that a lot of brands use and i've always thought were good.

whilst not wanting to state the obvious, seemed strong and seemingly stronger are not any form of practical or scientific test, just as name dropping a few manufacturers names and hinting at others and stating they are sub-standard.
Have used many flavours of line, a few have broken, but generally from abrasion from launch/obstacle incidents, checking lines each time is a good habit.
Tightly woven lines have less give and will break under there stated load in shock stress,
loosely woven lines will stretch and creep causing poor flying characteristics.
Have broken Qpower lines as well as others and since SS upped there front lines to 800lb have had no more issues with line breaks, and like the way it behaves, don't have much experience with others other than Naish, which is also good quality.
My feeling is that if the load is that great, I want it to break before it breaks you, and many breaks are operator induced
luv
F
Sure, i was only giving opinions and empirical impressions. The name dropping was to give examples of the types of lines was referring not knowing the manufactures or names, strength ratings and of the materials used.

Having said all that i'll come out and say it. In my opinion North use shitty lines and have done for years. Core and i think switch are using the same lines at the moment. They're the loosely woven white variety with the flecks of colour in them.

They stretch and break more then the standard lines that i know off that naish always seem to have used and were a royal pain in the arse to work with. The super thin lines i've seen Cabrinha and EH previously use were impressive for they're strength to thickness but would stretch and break a lot as well when i was using them.

I'd really like to know what these rrd lines were and who made them as i havent seen a kite line that seemed as tough as these did.

Interesting to think about the idea that you would like them to break before they break you. Imagine they might be quite hard to get through with a knife. Who knows though.

Return to “Kitesurfing”