Local Beach: Salvo NC
Favorite Beaches: OBX
Style: Surf
Gear: Cabrihna Drifters, Surfboards with 3 Fins
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Riding waves backside....

Postby SSK » Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:11 pm

OK I am still confused and curious. I do not travel a lot, but around here I know of no one who rides switch foot (more than a novelty). And I ride with some of the best riders on the East Coast of the US. However, there are few point breaks around here. Maybe it is a regional thing, might be different if I was a regular foot living in Peru. A lot of the comments on this thread make it sound as if a lot of people are riding switch and that this is trivial. I look at some of the supposed "worlds best riders" and see most of them backside on their natural stance nearly all the time. I have seen plenty of guys killing it backside, and in my opinion it can look as good as frontside. But I would agree that almost everyone looks better riding frontside on their natural stance than backside on their natural stance. But if I rode switch frontside, I am sure I would look much more awkward than backside natural stance. But maybe I need to invest the time to try.
So my question is who is out there riding waves as well frontside switch, as backside natural stance? Is this the future? Unless you know the rider it is pretty hard to tell if they are switch from a photo or video. Any good video of someone killing it switch?

In paddle surfing it is a novelty. In competition surfing it is almost unheard of. More people use to do it (Buttons, and Bertlemann) before the equipment and techniques allowed them to ride backside as good or better than frontside. Backside tube riding is a good example.

However, if we could ride switch frontside we would. It is just really hard.
In 1994, then two-time world champion, Kelly Slater, was asked about the future of surfing. "The next great surfer will be able to do all the moves that are happening now, except switchfoot," was his reply. While Slater has been spot on with many of his predictions this one appears off the mark. After all, 17 years have passed and switchfoot surfing is still a rare thing to see.
Kiting is easier to ride switch than paddle surfing, but I am still questioning if there are many people who can do it more than a novelty. However windsurfers have to do it and all good ones can. Skateboarders and snowboarders do it a lot when the do partial rotations or fakies. The famous skateboarder Rodney Mullen is the only person I know that is "stance less". After recovering from an injury he worked thousands of hours not just to switch his stance, but to actually change his center of gravity. He could then do all tricks equally well and equally as comfortable regular or goofy. In his opinion he was not riding switch, he no longer had a sense of a natural stance so he was stanceless. Most of the kiters I know also surf, which may make it harder to switch kiting, than if you started with another discipline where switch riding is more prevalent. However, I wave sailed a lot and obviously could ride switch, but still do not think I can wrap my head around doing it kiting. I know I can not even get close paddle surfing, but I could never fakie a skateboard either.

I do believe if we were stanceless we would ride frontside most of the time and backside would be the novelty. How many people get excited when the wind is in the direction making them go backside. Everyone I know prefers to be frontside on natural stance.

Ecoastprock
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Folly Beach, Charleston, South Carolina
Favorite Beaches: Pavones, County Park, North End, 28.5 & Moletrees
Gear: Slingshot Globetrotter 4 10
5 8 Libtech Waterboard
5 8 Coil Industries
Been thanked: 0

Postby Ecoastprock » Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:26 pm

I enjoy riding backside just as much as riding frontside, the most important variables are always wind and waves not stance. If the wind is steady side/off and the waves are 3+ft then its going to be a good session.

Heres a clip of some down the line backside riding from last month, fun times!

SSK
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010

Postby SSK » Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:47 pm

@Ecoastprock,
Nice backside. So can/do you ride switch? Do you have a video? I am still curious to compare or see a video of someone riding backside, and also switch frontside. I want to see a video where someone can ride and "look" better frontside switch, than backside on their normal stance.

peterheirman
Medium Poster
Local Beach: 2002

Postby peterheirman » Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:33 pm

@Eastprock : that are small play waves which you could ride fins first.
Backside or front side gets quite different when the wave is over 6 foot and steep - then your board gets speed and the kite starts to pull because of your board speed - The wave can slap you too.
So quite different situation

SSK
Frequent Poster

Postby SSK » Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:59 pm

Backside or front side gets quite different when the wave is over 6 foot and steep - then your board gets speed and the kite starts to pull because of your board speed - The wave can slap you too.
Confused on the point you are trying to make. In the North Sea at 6 foot plus are you riding backside or switch frontside? If you can ride well switch frontside in those conditions, can you post some pictures?

Bob Marley
Frequent Poster
Style: Jumps and waves
Gear: Small c kites that don't have bridles and no 5th line. Epoxy surfboards.

Postby Bob Marley » Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:10 pm

tr3v wrote:
Bob Marley wrote:Now once you all start riding frontside the next step will be learning to unhook. When you free your torso from the kite it will enable you to ride with more power and less kite restricting your movements.

Then you can say you are really wave riding and will "know the feeling" .
... and then release the kite!

No need. When you are riding unhooked and frontside that is real wave riding. Letting the kite go won't make any difference.

Bob Marley
Frequent Poster
Style: Jumps and waves
Gear: Small c kites that don't have bridles and no 5th line. Epoxy surfboards.

Postby Bob Marley » Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:12 pm

SSK wrote:
Confused on the point you are trying to make. In the North Sea at 6 foot plus are you riding backside or switch frontside? If you can ride well switch frontside in those conditions, can you post some pictures?

What is so difficult to get? Next time you are riding waves try it yourself. It ain't that hard.

NYKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Wave
Gear: .

Postby NYKiter » Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:38 pm

Bob Marley wrote: that is real wave riding.
sez the kook who dznt even know how to surf...

Last edited by NYKiter on Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SSK
Frequent Poster

Postby SSK » Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:41 pm

What is so difficult to get? Next time you are riding waves try it yourself. It ain't that hard.
I get that, and like I said, if you can ride switch well in real waves that is impressive to me. Maybe it is not as hard as you say, so I am interested in trying it. I just have not seen many people who can do this, and know no one who can do it as good as they can ride backside. So I was more curious on how many people can and do ride switch. Like I said it may be more regional. If you live on a point break that is not your natural stance that would be more motivating to put the time and effort in to learning switch. Fortunately (or unfortunately for learning), the predominate direction for us favors my natural stance. Do not often get conditions for practicing frontside switch.
What I did not get was what Peter was trying to say.

nikalaitzian
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Loutsa Nissakia,Oropos,Vouliagmeni
Style: wave,bigair,megaloops,hydrofoil,wingfoil
Gear: Epic kites,BTS kiteboards,cohete surfboards,SAB,GAC hydrofoils
Brand Affiliation: Epic Kites,GAC

Postby nikalaitzian » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:09 pm

People stop arguing!!!

i was skating as a goofy from 10 years old then went to snowboarding and skipped surfing cause i was believing that there arent any good waves in the country that i live..In my 30's i started kitesurfing just for trying to keep alive that feeling from skating and snowboarding in the summer too.Soon i became addicted and season doesnt play any matter now..Before 1 year when i was getting close to my 40's i started surfing waves with a kite and i realised what an ass i ve been for snobing that kind of kitesurf for 8 full years :duh: Now having enough experience and riding waves GOOFY or REGULAR(kiteboarding helped a lot) i started surfing when the wind is dyes and i try to catch some waves...conclusion ... I SHOULD have started surfing earlier riding BACKSIDE or FRONTSIDE.... the feeling is great..

ALWAYS :heartface: :heartface: :heartface:

Return to “Kitesurfing”