wytcap
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Average Joe Kite Review - Epic Infinity V3

Postby wytcap » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:09 pm

Yes SENDIT,
I have been following motocross my whole life, this is exactly what I thought a real test with real feedback!
Thanks

lobodomar
Frequent Poster

Postby lobodomar » Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:41 am

randycasburn wrote: Since your stated opinion seems to imply no shop can ever be unbiased for one reason or another, what exactly do you propose as an alternative? Specifically, propose an alternative to a shop performing reviews - since shops cannot be unbiased. (read magazine reviews :-/

You are going to take the same position when XLKites reviews the Cloud.

We get it, you don't trust them to be unbiased. I do trust them to be unbiased.

But I'm biased because I know them personally.

( I really do appreciate your inquisition - I'm just curious if you can ever be satisfied)
Hey Randy,

Yes I can be satisfied, and I'm not against shops doing reviews. All I need is a disclaimer saying which kites they stock, which kites they sell but don't stock, and which kites they don't sell. If there's any other relevant info regarding the relationship between the shop and any of the brands, it should be stated.
With all this info at hand, any shop's review will be extremely useful, regardless of production, editing and commenting bias.

Regarding the Cloud, it's a different niche kite, more like indirect competition if you will. And BRM has no dealers, so no dealing history involved.

Bain
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Bain » Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:04 am

lobodomar wrote:
randycasburn wrote: Since your stated opinion seems to imply no shop can ever be unbiased for one reason or another, what exactly do you propose as an alternative? Specifically, propose an alternative to a shop performing reviews - since shops cannot be unbiased. (read magazine reviews :-/

You are going to take the same position when XLKites reviews the Cloud.

We get it, you don't trust them to be unbiased. I do trust them to be unbiased.

But I'm biased because I know them personally.

( I really do appreciate your inquisition - I'm just curious if you can ever be satisfied)
Hey Randy,

Yes I can be satisfied, and I'm not against shops doing reviews. All I need is a disclaimer saying which kites they stock, which kites they sell but don't stock, and which kites they don't sell. If there's any other relevant info regarding the relationship between the shop and any of the brands, it should be stated.
With all this info at hand, any shop's review will be extremely useful, regardless of production, editing and commenting bias.

Regarding the Cloud, it's a different niche kite, more like indirect competition if you will. And BRM has no dealers, so no dealing history involved.
Shouldn't be much different than Epic. They don't have any dealers either.

randycasburn
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lee Side, Ft. Walton Beach, FL
Destin Pass
Beasley Park
Big Sabine
Favorite Beaches: Lee Side Park, Ft. Walton Beach
Beasley Park, Ft. Walton Beach
OBX Sound side
Kailua, Oahu
Kahanamoku Beach Honolulu, Oahu
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Flite 17
Ocean Rodeo Crave 12
Ocean Rodeo Crave 9
Ocean Rodeo Mako 150

Ocean Rodeo Origin Light 159
Ocean Rodeo Duke

Postby randycasburn » Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:48 am

lobodomar wrote:With all this info at hand, any shop's review will be extremely useful, regardless of production, editing and commenting bias.
Your viewpoint is biased.

I believe your intent is genuine so I won't ask if you sell kites, are a competitor to XLKites, if you're associated with any brands discussed here, and on an on....(I don't really care)

Do you see how the rabbit hole can get deep(ly absurd) very quickly my friend. But don't take my word for I'm biased too! :lol:

Try this (it won't hurt): Hey XLKites - I believe your intent is genuine.

soul19
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Prov
Favorite Beaches: Prov
little current
westbay
Style: try not to drown style
Gear: Whatever I own at the time....
Brand Affiliation: hook a brother up!!!

Postby soul19 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:12 pm

Hey Randy,

All viewpoints are biased as we will always have some form of emotion attached to it (that is in our nature). I think that we all favor certain brands over others (I am guilty of this) but that doesn't mean that we can't be objective. Are you one of the guys that help conduct these tests and if you are in the end we all thank you for the effort that you have placed into this. One of the problems with posting up an opinion is that others may not agree with what you are saying. The hard part is not being offended when others offer up theirs! I believe that the concept of these reviews are great in that it offers up such a diversity in skill sets and rider sizes. I am looking forward to seeing the upcoming reviews and think that Curt has good intentions with what he is doing!

James

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Space coast Florida 5th street
Favorite Beaches: One block from condo
Style: surfboard strap waves transitions
Gear: Boards quads & tri
Kites19-17-12-10-8-6-5 sqm

Postby SupaEZ » Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:20 pm

soul19 wrote:Hey Randy,
One of the problems with posting up an opinion is that others may not agree with what you are saying. The hard part is not being offended when others offer up theirs!
James
Would you agree that D. was offended ( he called it confused ) by the review
Would you agree that D. should not have posted 9 of his videos !!!! on page 1 as a reply
Would you agree that it was "uncool" to do so in order to discredit the average Joe's honest review

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:04 pm

When you keep kicking the dirt you just make more dust.

soul19
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Prov
Favorite Beaches: Prov
little current
westbay
Style: try not to drown style
Gear: Whatever I own at the time....
Brand Affiliation: hook a brother up!!!

Postby soul19 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:06 pm

Hey Mike,

I would say that Dimitri was probably taken back a bit by the review but I am not him and cannot truly comment on his behalf. I really don't see much difference than by your response by what they had detailed in the Core review :wink: . One person's opinion of what they like in a given product varies by each person who uses it. Dimitri's livelihood is based around selling his kites and people need to appreciate that he has to be that salesman! I am not an employee, rep or team rider for Epic kites and I don't get discounted gear. Yes I do like Epic kites (I do think that they are some of the better kites on the market - my opinion and you are free to disagree with me) but I also really like Ozone kites (I also think that they have some of the best kites out there - my opinion as well). At the end of the day the guys at XLkites have put out some reviews of various kites and I thank them for the time and effort that they have placed into doing this. I hope that these reviews help people in their quest for that perfect LW kite but that they also take the time to test them as well.

James

I am hoping to test the Infinty as well and will have a review up here on the forums for others to see. All that I can share is my perspective on these kites and Mike you are more than free to disagree or even agree with what I find. I would be willing to test any kite for that matter and would like to see how your core XR3 19m kite behaves in my fickle Ontario winds.... and yes all the fickle winds in Ontario belong to me :thumb:

randycasburn
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lee Side, Ft. Walton Beach, FL
Destin Pass
Beasley Park
Big Sabine
Favorite Beaches: Lee Side Park, Ft. Walton Beach
Beasley Park, Ft. Walton Beach
OBX Sound side
Kailua, Oahu
Kahanamoku Beach Honolulu, Oahu
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Flite 17
Ocean Rodeo Crave 12
Ocean Rodeo Crave 9
Ocean Rodeo Mako 150

Ocean Rodeo Origin Light 159
Ocean Rodeo Duke

Postby randycasburn » Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:54 pm

soul19 wrote:All viewpoints are biased...
Exactly!
I am one of the Joes and I am not offended by any thing in this or the other thread. The whole bias thing in the last post was TIC and designed to point out exactly what you said.
soul19 wrote:I am looking forward to seeing the upcoming reviews and think that Curt has good intentions with what he is doing!
You've been pretty clear about disagreement - that rocks and what makes forums like this great. But you've also been respectful as the quote above points out.

Of course the unfortunate downside of forums like this are the folks who try to find the smallest pin holes in a post just to have the ability to imply "I told you so" without any real evidence (of biased reviews in this case).

Yes, we all have opinions, and yes, it's OK to ask tough questions. At the end of the post, it's also OK to acknowledge the benefit even if you disagree. You, James clearly get that. I'm not so sure about others.

XLKites is doing a huge service to everyone here at pretty big expense (only two of the kites were provided as demos while every other kite was purchased for this review - as I understand it). With the exception of about 3 folks, everyone has acknowledged the benefit. That support will keep them going - not because of greed - but because they enjoying doing this stuff. I can tell you they are stoked by everyone's (well almost) support.

Drew22
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Tpa

Postby Drew22 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:08 pm

This is the same issue I had with the infinity V2. As a smaller guy no matter what I could not hold ground and I was constantly fighting after each jump to really regain ground. I left the beach the few times I flew the infinity feeling like I just pulled a car attached to my back for 5 hours. I sold my Infinity after a few sessions luckily it was still in hype faze. Quality issues same deal went to demo a 9 before I bought a quiver and right out the bag the 9 didn't pump due to a bad valve. Shop gets the valve fixed and now all the kite does is invert.... Oops has a 11m bridle on it sry bout that,and that was the start of a long road of defects. I am definitely not the only one at the beach who have had these issues. My bar is half Epic, half West Marine. I moved on and most are to, it was hard to transition from the epics cause they do have alot of pull and love to be whipped around. But everything has worked out and going to the beach and having a kite that actually pumps up, a bar that doesn't break and getting to ride is worth it on so many levels. The only positive is, thanks to Epic Kites I can now fully repair any defect on the beach with ease.

Hey Dimitri remember your buddy Mjorrens that you said has no issues selling his kites?

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sacat=0 ... te&_sop=16

Still there what are we going on 6-8 months now? This is my favorite part about that guys ebay ad.

History:1 offer

Ouch.

Return to “Kitesurfing”