2014 Airush Sector V5 vs 2014 Cabrinha

Forum for kitesurfers
shawn13
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cherry Beach, Toronto
Sherkston, Lake Erie
Wasaga, Lake Huron
Favorite Beaches: In Order:
Mauritius, Soma Bay, Egypt/ Cape Town, SA/ Cayo Guillermo, Cuba/ Sherkston, Canada/ El Gouna, Egypt/ Paje, Zanzibar/ Oliphant, Canada/ Kalpitya/ Dakhla, Morocco/ Boracay, Philippines/ Sri Lanka/ Wasaga Beach, Canada
Style: Freeride/Race
Gear: Cabrinha
Has thanked: 0

Re: 2014 Airush Sector V5 vs 2014 Cabrinha

Postby shawn13 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:34 pm

Schmidy wrote:
shawn13 wrote:Those boards look sick! :thumb:
The boards look sick, but also are really fun. I am not a big fan of the course racing boards, but the Monaro Slalom has a more jump-on-and-go feeling. Takes a few tacks to dial in but definitely get into it after a few minutes if you are familiar with Sectors. If you are all about badass speed, definitely recommend the Monaro Slalom.
I really liked my Sector V2 but i felt that I would benefit from a wider board. It did get me going in relaly low winds combined with my xbow 18m. Now I had a course racing board in mind but the Slalom in say a 65 might just be what im looking for as a ultra fast light wind board and easier to travel with.

Did you ride the 58 or 65 slalom?

norcom
Very Frequent Poster
Style: waves
Gear: Too much to list these days. Currently mostly a v3 Cabo's and Spleene Zone fan

Postby norcom » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:07 am

How do the Sector or any other similar boards compare to the Spleene Monster Door? Do they plane and stay upwind as easy or easier? Are they good for small waves?

I was out last weekend with the 18m Zero and the monster door and having a blast in 10mph. There were some thigh high waves but I didn't find the door very fun on them. I grabbed the LF Little Phatty but there just wasn't enough wind for me. I could barely get going and couldn't stay upwind on it.

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:41 am

norcom wrote:How do the Sector or any other similar boards compare to the Spleene Monster Door? Do they plane and stay upwind as easy or easier? Are they good for small waves?

I was out last weekend with the 18m Zero and the monster door and having a blast in 10mph. There were some thigh high waves but I didn't find the door very fun on them. I grabbed the LF Little Phatty but there just wasn't enough wind for me. I could barely get going and couldn't stay upwind on it.
This is more wave oriented - Airush Slayer 60 cm wide.

http://translate.google.co.uk/translate ... 6bih%3D564

Schmidy
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: Airush
Been thanked: 0

Postby Schmidy » Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:13 pm

shawn13 wrote:
Schmidy wrote:
shawn13 wrote:Those boards look sick! :thumb:
The boards look sick, but also are really fun. I am not a big fan of the course racing boards, but the Monaro Slalom has a more jump-on-and-go feeling. Takes a few tacks to dial in but definitely get into it after a few minutes if you are familiar with Sectors. If you are all about badass speed, definitely recommend the Monaro Slalom.
I really liked my Sector V2 but i felt that I would benefit from a wider board. It did get me going in relaly low winds combined with my xbow 18m. Now I had a course racing board in mind but the Slalom in say a 65 might just be what im looking for as a ultra fast light wind board and easier to travel with.

Did you ride the 58 or 65 slalom?
Been on both. :thumb: A lot of the smaller racers like Oswald Smith - 75kg or less preferred the 58 over the 65cm. But if you are even considering a 70 wide raceboard, definitely go towards the 65cm for strictly lightwind speed.

UKSurf
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Coast of UK
Gear: Liquid Force impulse Foil, Slingshot SST Wave
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby UKSurf » Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:51 pm

norcom wrote:How do the Sector or any other similar boards compare to the Spleene Monster Door? Do they plane and stay upwind as easy or easier? Are they good for small waves?

I have not tried the Spleene Monster, but I would say in general light wind direcitonals like a sector are alot more efficient than a twin tip since they use large fins to create lift and lateral resistance. Biggest difference is going to be speed and upwind ability. Also their volume and speed is going to help you ride through any lulls in the wind. There is also the totally different feel to a freerace board which adds a fun factor to lightwind kiting rather than just going up and down on a big twintip.

droffats
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Freeride, Hdrofoil, Waves, Big Air
Gear: Ozone, Ocean Rodeo, Cabrinha, Mystic
Brand Affiliation: www.adventurekiteboarding.com

Postby droffats » Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:27 pm

- adventurekiteboarding.com

shawn13
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cherry Beach, Toronto
Sherkston, Lake Erie
Wasaga, Lake Huron
Favorite Beaches: In Order:
Mauritius, Soma Bay, Egypt/ Cape Town, SA/ Cayo Guillermo, Cuba/ Sherkston, Canada/ El Gouna, Egypt/ Paje, Zanzibar/ Oliphant, Canada/ Kalpitya/ Dakhla, Morocco/ Boracay, Philippines/ Sri Lanka/ Wasaga Beach, Canada
Style: Freeride/Race
Gear: Cabrinha

Postby shawn13 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:48 am

droffats wrote:adventurekiteboarding.com
I saw your original post on the comparison but you said you were still waiting for the cabrinha fins to arrive. Have you been able to compare the two now? How does the 4 fin cabrinha perform compared to the 3 fin sector? I am a very loyal customer to Cabrinha/NP products but seeing how they are using a fin configuration that some else used 3 years ago concerns me.

droffats
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Freeride, Hdrofoil, Waves, Big Air
Gear: Ozone, Ocean Rodeo, Cabrinha, Mystic
Brand Affiliation: www.adventurekiteboarding.com

Postby droffats » Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:13 am

Yeah, well, being that I sell Cabrinha and don't sell Airush I thought I'd sorta not bring it up again, but since you ask...we cancelled all of our orders on the Alias. When spring arrives here I'll try putting on other rear fins with the mini-Tuttle to FCS adapters and see if I can find a set that make the board better. My impression is that the Airush is the better board. Of course, if you want to see for yourself, you can buy our demo board! Sorry to be so negative. It's just so frustrating because we've been waiting for 5 years now for someone to come close to competing with the Sector. RRD came closest with the K-Free 60. Supposedly Axis might do one, but with the market going to foils, who knows.

- Stafford

www.adventurekiteboarding.com

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby TomW » Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:32 pm

I'm into strapless surfboard, and have a 5-8 Slingshot celeritas, and looking to add a board this year.
Can you ride the sectors strapless ??

bigwave
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Style: Foil and Surf.
Gear: Kites: Slingshot UFO
Foil: Armstrong
Boards:Slingshot DC100
Harnesses: Mystic Stealth
Wetsuits: Mystic
Glasses: Lip
Brand Affiliation: silentsports.com

Postby bigwave » Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:56 pm

TomW wrote:I'm into strapless surfboard, and have a 5-8 Slingshot celeritas, and looking to add a board this year.
Can you ride the sectors strapless ??
I have never ridden the Sectors strapless and have not seen anyone in my area do so. I had an Airush Slayer 60 last season which I only rode strapless and it was super fun. There is lots of info on the Slayer on the UK Forum
http://www.kiteboarder.co.uk/kitesurfin ... 70&t=55868

:thumb:

Return to “Kitesurfing”