Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: North new kite Juice

Postby Westozzy » Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:46 am

dyyylan wrote:
edt wrote:
honestly, the general public, including most kiters do not appreciate the technical difficulty of most of the moves.
Wakestyle doesn't do anything for the general public. Remember the little girl. That's what the general public likes.
While you're off impressing little girls, we get plenty of people on the beach that are amazed with wakestyle. Maybe you're not impressing them with wakestyle because you can't do wakestyle?

Ah yes and the supposed superiority card is revealed once again. Didn't take too long this time.

Now I'm waiting for the strapless SB rider to vouch for their godlike expertise in the water.

Kiting was a fringe sport until really only recently (where it is definetly moving into the masses), hence was driven by kiters. Kiters got increasingly technical with their riding and a lot moved into the wakestyle type of riding as a world stage for competition took hold. Hence this is what has dominated the stage at the elite level. The 'old school' riding tricks were left alone by a lot of pro riders, hence by kiting companies trying to market their wares. It was a combination of a fringe sport and timing. But the airstyle development still can still be pushed much further, but it needs the attention of the next gen' of excellent riders. It's not 'old school' at all, it's just been left behind to gather dust. This box needs reopeneing.

If anything wakestyle is 'old school' becuase it's based on a sport that was around long before kiting. And Surfboard riding with a kite, well that's 'ancient style' relatively.

This needs to change. A separate airstyle competition on the world stage is needed to address this aspect of our sport which really defines it's uniqueness and yes will bring in the public attention. ....and dollars....

..and the little girl example was a metaphor maybe lost on you, addressing the excitement a naive kiting mentally generates when exposed to airstyle moves. Most are just that.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:51 am

And the wind was really light in San Andres!

Well, any doubters should have been in Cranson today.
So many guys 35+ came up and said hi and lived the show.

I don't expect younger freestyle riders to come up and say this, but I am doing this to inspire people who don't want to unhook. There are many out there.

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:08 am

Extract from Tom Hebert interview....

Kiteboarding started with a hang-time style of riding but, there has been so much influence from wakestyle over the past years with everyone riding boots. How do you think this sort of event will shape the future of old school riding?

I think old school riding is going to come back sooner than we think. Kiting is a sport that has developed through mirroring other board sports. Wakestyle is like wakeboarding and wave riding like surfing. However, kiting is an original sport where you can do tricks that you can’t do in any other. The main reason I kite and where I get a lot of pleasure is by going high and performing tricks that I can’t do in any other sport. I’m not saying that wakestyle is bad but it’s just that I prefer to go 25 meters up. You name me another water sport where you can do that. Kiting needs to find it’s own way and not copy other sports. You only need to ask a wakeboarder what they think of kiteboarding and they’ll say that we are copying them, which is a shame as kiting is an original sport. That’s why I like old school and it’s nice to see the Red Bull King Of The Air supporting this. It would be great to have more events like this over the year as it attracts many spectators putting kiteboarding on their radar. It also helps those unfamiliar with the sport to understand it a bit more as the style of tricks aren't too technical. It’s impressive.

There are not many people doing this style of riding anymore, it seems that old school got lost along the way in the growth of the sport. Where do you draw your inspiration from?

When kiteboarding started we didn’t have a clue about it’s potential. We just went riding and tried to invent new moves. Creativity is key and I draw a lot of this from talking with other riders. In New Caledonia we haven't given up on the old school and we still push this style of riding together and do new tricks. I suppose I draw inspiration from my home spot where there are many people still loyal to big air. For sure if you are alone it’s hard, but with a group of friends there is competition which makes it a bit more challenging.

Is ‘old school’ the new ‘new school’?

I think so, it’s certainly making a come back. You need to incorporate manoeuvres that look dangerous and hard all the while keep the fluidity and style too. There are so many options so, for now it is an infinite side of the sport. There is always space for new tricks. - See more at: http://www.northkiteboarding.com/blog/a ... BdYPs.dpuf

NorCalNomad
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: San Francisco
Gear: Why should it matter?

Postby NorCalNomad » Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:55 am

Toby wrote: Just ask for the numbers of livestreams: PKRA vs King of the Air.
These numbers must be taken into context though, King of Air does have the media juggernaut Redbull backing it, which means A LOT.

I don't get why so many people want to be so "original" in an effort to effectively distance themselves from other boardsports. All board sports have the same foundation just subtle adaptations via the medium that is being ridden. I guess I'm admitting airstyle is a variation that is unique to kiting but it's got more of a spectacle aspect currently (putting your board between your legs and holding it without hands..you could do that half pipe or megaramp skating but it doesn't happen) rather than a technically challenging aspect (yes I know it can be technically challenging, board flips 30ft up are no joke). It will be cool to see where it evolves but right now, ehhh.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:22 am

NorCalNomad wrote:
Toby wrote: Just ask for the numbers of livestreams: PKRA vs King of the Air.
These numbers must be taken into context though, King of Air does have the media juggernaut Redbull backing it, which means A LOT.

I don't get why so many people want to be so "original" in an effort to effectively distance themselves from other boardsports. All board sports have the same foundation just subtle adaptations via the medium that is being ridden. I guess I'm admitting airstyle is a variation that is unique to kiting but it's got more of a spectacle aspect currently (putting your board between your legs and holding it without hands..you could do that half pipe or megaramp skating but it doesn't happen) rather than a technically challenging aspect (yes I know it can be technically challenging, board flips 30ft up are no joke). It will be cool to see where it evolves but right now, ehhh.
I honestly don't know why the sport has "evolved" trying to emulate other sports. Wakestyle and surfing. Why try to be a surfer or a wakesyler? Be a kiter! its way more dynamic than either of these less aerial sports.

If I want to watch good surfing i'll watch a surf comp and if I want to watch good wake style i'll watch a wake comp. Guess what? I don't watch either because I am not the slightest bit interested.

I predict in 5 years time wake and surf comps will be out big air, airstyle and some form of kite inspired wave comp will be in.
The RB king of air and the Lenten mega loop, toby's airstyle. These are things that will take over the current formats.

Macisback
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kahuna Surf House, Kiti, Larnaca
Favorite Beaches: Kahuna Surf House, Les Dauphins, Soma Bay, Prasonissi, Boracay, Tarifa, Sotavento
Style: Airstyle, Hydrofoil, Wave
Gear: Naish, North & Zeeko Kites, Flysurfer and RL Boards, Zeeko and Iero Hydrofoils
Been thanked: 0

Postby Macisback » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:43 am

Even though we have been reading this over and over again, it seems to be important to discuss it until the actual competition scene reflects what the majority of riders are doing.

Behind the scenes, whereever you go and look, all manufacturers are now jumping on the band wagon, as there is money in selling (big) kites that jump high and work in lower winds.

Sales seem to be decreasing in other areas?

I dont think that there shouldnt be wakestyle, I just think that every part of the sport should be represented the same way as the people are riding it on the water and what works best for the audience. In my opinion that is:

- Oldschool/Airstyle
- Big Air (KOTA)
- Wave
- Freestyle
- Foiling
- Race

But there have to be invented new formats, like a 30 min Airstyle run with a best of 10 tricks on a video summary etc.

Or a wave format that also includes jumping and cruising.

Whatever the future brings, I'm excited to see where its going and I hope that for all riders, no matter what taste they have, there will always be the right gear available that suits their individual needs.

Everyday under a kite is a good day :-)

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:42 pm

In my opinion we should have world tours for these disciplines:

- race (Twintip, foil, formula)
- wakestyle (unhooked and obstacles)
- Airstyle (hooked)
- freestyle (unhooked and hooked like KOTA)
- wave surf (scored like surfing)
- wave freestyle (scored on tricks Mitu style)

This way specialized riders can show the max of their skills and levels can be pushed further.

Macisback
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kahuna Surf House, Kiti, Larnaca
Favorite Beaches: Kahuna Surf House, Les Dauphins, Soma Bay, Prasonissi, Boracay, Tarifa, Sotavento
Style: Airstyle, Hydrofoil, Wave
Gear: Naish, North & Zeeko Kites, Flysurfer and RL Boards, Zeeko and Iero Hydrofoils
Been thanked: 0

Postby Macisback » Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:18 pm

Maybe easier to continue talking about the North Juice Kite here? :-)

And about World Tour Disciplines here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2384517

Just a suggestion, by the drift the thread has taken...

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:16 pm

I think we should have boarder cross with 5 - 6 man heats over obstacles, ramps, etc. First over line wins.

NorCalNomad
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: San Francisco
Gear: Why should it matter?

Postby NorCalNomad » Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:47 am

TomW wrote:I think we should have boarder cross with 5 - 6 man heats over obstacles, ramps, etc. First over line wins.
I'd watch the shit out of that.

Also the light wind market is no where near as big as people think it is.

Return to “Kitesurfing”