Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Surboards with a Mako (OR) bottom.

Forum for kitesurfers
BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Surboards with a Mako (OR) bottom.

Postby BWD » Wed May 20, 2015 3:46 pm

blake that thing is cool!
My version, 5'7" x 18.25" 4.25" nose rocker ~1.5" tail, 12" wide at the very back end,
also Drexler inspired:
Was a little flexy so I added some CF....
Mine is flat bottomed, and a little skatey.
Does the concave make it track more?
Does it run all the way out the tail or flatten out (looks like all the way through)?
I am thinking about the next version, putting together ideas...

Blake
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Sandbanks and Presqu'ile
Favorite Beaches: Mirlo Beach in Hatteras
Style: Old school
Gear: Board Riding Maui and Ocean Rodeo
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Postby Blake » Wed May 20, 2015 6:00 pm

BWD,

Nice Paipo rendition there!
Yes, with the combination of the concave bottom surface and the fins, it tracks very nicely.
My board came out quite stiff, I used what Greg recommended as far as glass weights and layers.
The concave runs right from the nose of the board all the way to the tail. It's actually deeper than the 18mm that OR puts into the Mako.

How wide are your wood strips? Mine are 1" and I think it helps stiffen the board a wee bit with the extra glue lines.

My next board is going to be the same as far as the concave, and Greg's rocker dimensions etc. I might put an actual foam deckpad on it though.
And a much better finish than this one has.

Regards,
Blake

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Wed May 20, 2015 9:00 pm

The strips are a bit under 2 inches. That and the thickness taper may be giving me the extra flex. I got a new planer and enthusiastically tapered the core a little more than needed, as it turned out.
Concave would probably stiffen it a little. The resin was resin research (the blue kind, not the KK or other newer kinds), on 3x6oz plain weave E glass. With the carbon strips it still has a soft nose and some flex to the tail, nice in chop but maybe slower to accelerate in light wind. If I redid it I might make the carbon strips 4" longer, shape it thicker overall, or just taper the core less.
I am thinking of making a wider one with flatter tail and 4 fins for light wind.
May even do it with foam inside and veneer or ply skins....

Return to “Kitesurfing”