Axis Bootleg
Brand Affiliation: Ozone
Axis
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Cabrinha 2015

Postby ElliotDrury » Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:56 am

dagent wrote:Hi guys,

did anyone tested the new Switchblade and new surf boards. I owned previously the 2012-14 North Rebel, Evo also 2013 Naish Park, Naish Global surf 6.10.

Now i am looking for new gear and like what i see Cabrinha did for 2015.

So i would like to know how is the Switchblade 12 compared to North Evo 12 or Rebel 12m? Relaunch, upwind, low end, hi end....

Also how are the new Cabrinha surf boards for freeride, small wave...?

Thanks,
David
The Switchblade has it's own special feel, as does North. The best idea is to test it (if you can of course). Depending obviously on your local conditions and weight your low end is around 12-15knots on a 12m SB with a top end of around 22-24 knots realistically. Don't look at wind charts I always find them overly ambitious. The relaunch is effortless (no fifth to wrap either!) and upwind is very, very good. Definitely better than the Evo and probably on par with the Rebel. Boosting is great as well and it dabbles in waves quite well too.

As for the surf boards check out either the Phenom or the Secret Weapon for freeride and small waves. The 5'6" secret weapon is an absolute killer this year! Keep in mind with those two models that they put a lot of volume in so make sure that unless you're a heavy guy go for the mid to smaller sizes. I'm 84kg and love the 5'6" SW and the 5'8" Phenom. They are a lot stronger and lighter this year. They have a great feel under foot and I felt my riding improve right away when testing them.

Dave_5280
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Weight: 78 kg
Favorite Beaches: Kanaha Beach Park, Maui, Hawaii, U.S.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Switchblades, Contras, CF Raptor TT. Ozone Frenzy foil kites with skis. Fixed bridle foil kites on handles with MBS landboard. Progression Sports videos.

Postby Dave_5280 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:29 pm

Can the new bars and lines be used with the 2012 switchblades?

GregWoj
Medium Poster
Gear: none
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby GregWoj » Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:31 pm

Dave_5280 wrote:Can the new bars and lines be used with the 2012 switchblades?
Yes, the 2015 (and 2014) bars are backwards compatible to 2009 Cab kites, While they are compatible, Cab states you may notice a slight difference in flight due to the fact that 2009 - 2013 were designed with a higher V / IDS in mind. However, I asked the forum if anyone using a 2014 bar (lower V, single flag line) noticed any difference in flight with a 2013 kite and a couple guys responded no major difference at all.

I demoed the 2015 SB and bar and it was pretty slick. I noticed minor differences in the kite but the bar was much better.

Return to “Kitesurfing”