Very Frequent Poster

Re: Used kite market over saturated?

Postby BWD » Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:14 am

:lol:

marlboroughman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Oldschool
Gear: Naish
Brand Affiliation: Make Kiting Great Again!

Postby marlboroughman » Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:52 am

I am serious, those are State Department Rules on trips to Cuba rubber or no rubber you got to make a contact otherwise you haven't served your country. :lol:

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby davesails7 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:28 am

SpaceRacer wrote:Interesting. Truth be told, I am selling my 2013 12m Rebel because I hate it. It is soooooo slow turning. My 2011 14m turns quicker. Sorry but I think this sort of sh&t is unacceptable from North. 2009...a dog. 2013....a dog. Leave the fu^king thing alone already Weiner!
I think North said it was supposed to be slower turning, but trade was it was supposed to be the best jumping Rebel ever, but I didn't get that impression from my 14m. Some people seemed to like them, but generally not.

Now you'll never sell it with all this bad press for the 2013 Rebel :D Have you tried 2014?

flipper231
Very Frequent Poster

Postby flipper231 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:08 am

Sorry if it came out already, I did not read all 3 pages. 2013, bought in October 2012 is a year and a half old, will be 2 yrs old in October. Then, the close-outs. 2013 kites are reduced by 25-30% if not more at this time. Usually you lose about 25-30% on a one year old kite but people want 25-30% less than the cheapest they saw it. Right now, I am sorry to say that some 2013 can be sold at $600 at the most... Complete with bar...top brand. I usually sell fast because I price for it, I don't give them away but I do not decrease my price... Of course the buyer always gets away with a $50 off but publicly, I price 25% off the lowest price I saw, not the price I paid. Some folks pay their kites at close-out prices and they expect selling them at the same price... Who would buy that. Also, dealers are being presented with the new kites from a well known brand this week. Well next week, the 2014 kites will go at 20%', until launched to the public, then 25-30%... So wait a week, once the new kites are announced, you better wait for the new one than to pay 100% retail on the current year.

TheKiteDesigner
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Long Reef NSW Australia
Favorite Beaches: Kite Beach Hawaii
NSW Australia Beaches
Style: Surf and Freeride
Gear: I make my own
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby TheKiteDesigner » Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:42 am

Here is a thaulght...

What if you could "upgrade" your 2013 or 2014 kite to a 2015 kite?

Would the 2nd hand price reduce so much if you could get a 2013 kite, buy an upgrade kit and have something performing similar to a 2015?

If you look at most kites, the designs have not changed much over the past year or so, looks to be mostly tweaks and small improvements in the performance through the bridle.

What do you think? good or bad idea?

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:34 am

TheKiteDesigner wrote:Here is a thaulght...

What if you could "upgrade" your 2013 or 2014 kite to a 2015 kite?

Would the 2nd hand price reduce so much if you could get a 2013 kite, buy an upgrade kit and have something performing similar to a 2015?

If you look at most kites, the designs have not changed much over the past year or so, looks to be mostly tweaks and small improvements in the performance through the bridle.

What do you think? good or bad idea?
I think it depends on how you see upgrades. Personally I think the step up from last years ride and park to the 2014 parks was a huge step forward. They might not look super different, but the feel and handling of the kite really made a huge difference. Placement and edits to bridles makes a difference.

I also upgraded my cloud 8 to the new version with a cloud 9..the bridle is radically different, and the difference was again huge to me...I had such a blast and kite was so much fun...and well worth it.

I have not put any of these kites on top of each other, but I would assume there are some other changes..even if small. I doubt many non-kite-designers could know what they were...

I do see being able to buy upgrade kites as very valuable, but if it requires changes to the LE attachments it becomes more of an issue. As much as I would like to tinker with the gear, I find I have very little time to do so. So: ready made upgrade-kit: Awesome. Changing the attachments to the LE...ehh might not happen for me.

Krazedkiter
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Krazedkiter » Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:50 am

here is my thought on the used kite market.

Lower your freaken asking prices. You think I'm going to buy a used kite from some joe blow who I know nothing about and who knows how the kite was taken care of and your asking 20% off of retail because the kite is still crispy??? This ain't fried chicken brother, its a used kite that the buyer is taking a big risk on.

Who care if the kite is still crispy new. Matter of fact, I don't even care if you say its still new in the bag. If you are selling it and you are not a retailer, its a used kite and you better put some serious deal offers out if you want me to take the risk of buying a used kite from someone I don't know.

Honestly, the prices that most used kite sellers are asking for, I can buy the same kite for the same price brand new from a retailer. Example, 2014 used kite (current year kite) better have at least 40 percent off of retail and be in awesome shape. You advertise one pinhole with a small piece of sail tape, take another 10-15% off. There is no buying a used kite for 20% off retail.

My 2 cents. Used is used and people buying used want a great deal. Also, don't ask $700 for a 2008 kite :roll:

pmaggie
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Gera Lario, Como Lake, Italy
Favorite Beaches: Lo Stagnone (Marsala, Sicily - Italy) - Soma Bay (Egipt) - Cabarete (Dom Rep.) - Kite beach (Maui)
Style: Freeride
Gear: Core XR4 11, Core Riot XR 7, Core Riot XR2 15, Flysurfer Speed 5 21, Flysurfer Sonic 3 13
Shinn Bronq 136x42, Shinn Bronq XL

Postby pmaggie » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:04 am

fourperf wrote:I don't think there have been MAJOR Advancements in kites for years. Probably just more used gear out there due to more people in the sport. Seems to me kite performance has been pretty much the same for 3 yrs or so with minor refinements. Just my .02c.
Mark
Correct. I own 2 generation of Core XR kites and between the two there are only refinements, no need to switch to the new model if the old one you own is in good conditions IMO. Once you're in the water, in two minutes you just forget which model you're riding. The only kite that's intriguing me at the moment is the new FS Speed Lotus in light wind. It's a month or so I'm trying to test one but for a couple of reasons I couldn't for the moment. But I'm really looking forward to ride one.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:15 am

Krazedkiter wrote:here is my thought on the used kite market.

Lower your freaken asking prices. You think I'm going to buy a used kite from some joe blow who I know nothing about and who knows how the kite was taken care of and your asking 20% off of retail because the kite is still crispy??? This ain't fried chicken brother, its a used kite that the buyer is taking a big risk on.

Who care if the kite is still crispy new. Matter of fact, I don't even care if you say its still new in the bag. If you are selling it and you are not a retailer, its a used kite and you better put some serious deal offers out if you want me to take the risk of buying a used kite from someone I don't know.

Honestly, the prices that most used kite sellers are asking for, I can buy the same kite for the same price brand new from a retailer. Example, 2014 used kite (current year kite) better have at least 40 percent off of retail and be in awesome shape. You advertise one pinhole with a small piece of sail tape, take another 10-15% off. There is no buying a used kite for 20% off retail.

My 2 cents. Used is used and people buying used want a great deal. Also, don't ask $700 for a 2008 kite :roll:
Yeah I'd agree with this. I don't think anyone were suggesting high prices as the reason tho.. :-)

Personally I think the lower priced brands take a chunk out of the second hand marked more so than from the premier brand market. Inevitably this might possibly affect the higher priced brands as second hand market is a way many of us fund our expensive habits. On the other hand they might just increase their price like other brands have done in the past.

markchatwin
Very Frequent Poster

Postby markchatwin » Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:25 pm

Krazedkite - I agree with much of what you say except the part about "buyer takes a high risk". You are if you're paying by check or Western Union but if your using Paypal linked credit card the seller is taking a risk. Because if the kite isn't "as advertised" that kite is coming right back to him/her.

Recent kite purchase was a kite that was advertised as perfect and crispy. Got it and there was a pinhole. So I got back 10% from the seller. The seller had the choice to have me ship it back or take a few bucks off. All this because I used Paypal linked credit card.

I've been on both sides of this as a seller and buyer. So I've found there's more risk and hassle as a seller.

Though I agree with your pricing schemes for quick sales there are folks out there, myself included, that price their used kites high sometimes. In some cases I'm in no hurry to sell. I'm selling a flawless 2010 Zephyr 17m complete right now for $850 OBO. I've been offered $550 by 2 buyers for the kite alone. So add the bar to that and maybe it's really worth $675. If I don't sell it I have an extra big kite in the car so I don't have to ride alone. If someone comes along that wants it they have to pony up. But they might really need it for a trip or something. Maybe they're sitting on the beach watching little ripples twiddling their thumbs and they really want to kite that day. Maybe my kite would be worth a little extra more that day. Maybe $775… It's wheel and deal process… There are no rules.

I've overpaid for a few new kites when I really needed them why can't someone overpay for a used kite now and then? Especially when there's safety built in for them with Paypal linked credit card...

Return to “Kitesurfing”