Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

North Juice 18m VS Dyno 17m best light wind airtime?

Forum for kitesurfers
Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: North Juice 18m VS Dyno 17m best light wind airtime?

Postby Toby » Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:26 am

I have a feeling the best airstyle kite will lie between the juice and the new dyno...
nope, just the 2011 Dyno

s1buell_wl
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Postby s1buell_wl » Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:51 am

Westozzy wrote:
s1buell_wl wrote:I have the Edge 15m and 19m

The wind range of the 19m is good at 80k I can hold the kite (full power to 20kns here in Brasil). The hang time is good. I would love to compare it with the 2011 Dyno. Might have to take a trip to the north and meet Mr Toby. So I can not say if its better then the rest. I had the 16m Dyno before the 19m Edge. No issues with 16m Dyno just to small (Just need to buy some good lines)

Two issues I have with the Edge

1. Because its a true race kite when you do say a " board back pass" or say a " Hart attack" something that requires long hang time the kite tends to over fly you. You always need to compensate for this (kite loves to ride to high in the window) Makes some of the complex tricks more complex. I'm going to slow the kite down even more and see If this will help.

2. The construction is almost the same is paper. You need to baby this kite in every way possible.

cheers

Yep on the first one. Why I got off the edges. Hangtime does not always equal airstyle, it's not that simple. The edge compared to the 2011 dyno requires a lot of bar throw attention and when you move past say simple tail grab board off, things get very interesting indeed...but the edge will smoke it on a race course. Race kite do not necessarily equal good airstyle kites. We need to separate these two out once and for all. As far as the new dyno goes, who knows?? We will find out I suppose. I have a feeling the best airstyle kite will lie between the juice and the new dyno...
Jumps really well great hang but once your up there it gets a little complicated. Agree on all points. I just hope North make the same 2011 error in 2014-15 :)

s1buell_wl
Very Frequent Poster

Postby s1buell_wl » Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:19 am

Ok. where do you get a 2011 18m dyno?

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:41 am

Yeh my point exactly Toby. Ken winner explained it very well in his initial information on the juice.
Three light wind kite styles, race, freeride and airstyle. The edge and dyno (2012 on) are out and out race kites. The juice is an example of a quick turning agile freeride kite. Another example would be the zephyr, blade fat lady etc...although they all have their particular aspects of freeride that they all a better or worse at. That last category, airstyle needs it's own particular traits and the 2011 dyno from all my searching is still the best. It has just enough race efficiency, coupled with enough inefficiency (by that crazy huge leading edge) to give you that static grunt and bar feedback for loading and even more importantly a VERY STEADY platform when in the air. Sure the bit of racer aspect gives you that hangtime, and indeed you gotta keep some speed in the wing when loading and releasing, but it's in the air that this Particular design comes into it's own. Very predictable, very consistent, you can take the board off do your 'thing' and know exactly what is is going to do. And when you do inevitably eat shit, it is stable enough to allow some line slackness and recover.

That's the kite missing at the moment, from all brands not just north....

I had to search high and low for my two 16m and my 18m. Not easy to find them. Had a cracker of a session last Sunday :D

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:10 am

Yes, that's why this kite is that good and I am able to pull all those tricks.
The kite is an important factor.

Trying to convince North to reproduce that kite but failed so far.

I would be open to develop airstyle specific kites with a brand and give my name for it, so the Airstyle fans have something for their needs, including me.

mr moon
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shoreham (UK)
Favorite Beaches: Brandon Bay, Silver Sands & a few more
Style: Wave / Freeride
Gear: North, Firewire, Wainman, Ozone

Postby mr moon » Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:30 am

Sorry guys I don't catch what exactly wouldn't work for hangtime (not air style) in the new Dynos?

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:49 am

mr moon wrote:Sorry guys I don't catch what exactly wouldn't work for hangtime (not air style) in the new Dynos?
You want hangtime on a one dimensional sense, then the higher the aspect the better. Get something like the chrono or speed, or a dyno/edge for hangtime.

The juice looks like from the geometry of the canopy and what we have heard a good freeride kite that sure will give you some hangtime...it's a big bloody kite in 15 and 18m.

Simple really.

And Toby looks like you might just have to do what you said it seems.

mr moon
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shoreham (UK)
Favorite Beaches: Brandon Bay, Silver Sands & a few more
Style: Wave / Freeride
Gear: North, Firewire, Wainman, Ozone

Postby mr moon » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:54 am

Westozzy wrote:
mr moon wrote:Sorry guys I don't catch what exactly wouldn't work for hangtime (not air style) in the new Dynos?
You want hangtime on a one dimensional sense, then the higher the aspect the better. Get something like the chrono or speed, or a dyno/edge for hangtime.

The juice looks like from the geometry of the canopy and what we have heard a good freeride kite that sure will give you some hangtime...it's a big bloody kite in 15 and 18m.

Simple really.

And Toby looks like you might just have to do what you said it seems.
I understand that. The Dyno will outperform the Juice because of the higher aspect.. but I was wondering about the 2011 Dyno vs the 2014 or 2015, did it have a higher aspect or more surface area?

I think it would be very interesting to test the 2015 18m Dyno :strong:

Macisback
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kahuna Surf House, Kiti, Larnaca
Favorite Beaches: Kahuna Surf House, Les Dauphins, Soma Bay, Prasonissi, Boracay, Tarifa, Sotavento
Style: Airstyle, Hydrofoil, Wave
Gear: Naish, North & Zeeko Kites, Flysurfer and RL Boards, Zeeko and Iero Hydrofoils
Been thanked: 0

Postby Macisback » Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:57 am

Hi everyone,

I guess the Naish Draft comes quite close to the Dyno 2011, just compare them by yourself in the pictures, here you can see both compared in the same picture:

http://www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Kite ... es/?page=2

Maybe it even outperforms the Dyno?
I havent tested a 2011 Dyno, but my Drafts jump higher than any other kite I have ever tried.

Someone around who tried both?

Cheers

s1buell_wl
Very Frequent Poster

Postby s1buell_wl » Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:38 pm

Macisback wrote:Hi everyone,

I guess the Naish Draft comes quite close to the Dyno 2011, just compare them by yourself in the pictures, here you can see both compared in the same picture:

http://www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Kite ... es/?page=2

Maybe it even outperforms the Dyno?
I havent tested a 2011 Dyno, but my Drafts jump higher than any other kite I have ever tried.

Someone around who tried both?

Cheers
They only make a 17m (nash draft). I dont want to go under a 18m kite for sure.

Yea as it stands right now there is no kites that fit the Air Style 100%. Even if you go foil I find the 18m's too slow for many of the tricks. I have the 19m but it has its issues for this style. But for now its doing 80% so I can survive until "I hope" a solution comes to market. Dimitri what do you think? Air style kite, aid from Toby to design? Micro loop bar?

I'm in lol.

cheers

Return to “Kitesurfing”