Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Chicken Loop Bye Bye?

Forum for kitesurfers
iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Chicken Loop Bye Bye?

Postby iriejohn » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:19 pm

Yes, drill out a (20mm?*) rope stopper ball (aka parrel bead) and use a grub screw to secure it over a short sleeve (20mm?*) of PU tubing over the trim lines.

If your trim rope is 5mm then you'll need a piece of PU tubing about 8mm ID so with a wall thickness of say 1mm the PU tubing will be about 10mm OD. So drill the stopper ball out to at least 10mm. It doesn't have to be pretty, it won't take any load, it's just to lock the stopper on the rope.

I put a 15mm stainless ring in the larks head connecting the QR to the trim line to thread the safety line through so that it doesn't flap around the hole in the bar.

Don't put PU over your trim lines because you won't see where they wear, particularly if there's sand around. I don't care what wears as long as I can see it happening.

Don't worry about having one or two bits of rope, if you're using 5mm Dyneema the breaking load is typically over 2,000 kg so long before that load is exceeded you'd be toast. Even 3mm Dyneema breaking load is typically over 800 kg.

pixelpedro
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: not telling
Favorite Beaches: So far: Santa Cruz, Pismo, Hood River
Style: lil this ... lil dat
Gear: The one that flies and floats

Postby pixelpedro » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:21 am

knotwindy wrote: I think what they are saying is if the QR1 is jammed up against the bar and can NOT be pushed to be released it is/could be a problem. So you need a ball or something to keep the release away from the bar to leave some room for the QR to be able to always operate.
Yeah.. no.. I got it what they're saying, just doesn't seem like I'm doing any different, but I'll explore this further for sure. I was looking at an old Cab bar picture online and didn't seem like it's any different from my setup except the PU on the rope itself. Again not trying or being hard headed just don't necessarily see the difference.
iriejohn wrote: Yes, drill out a (20mm?*) rope stopper ball (aka parrel bead) and use a grub screw to secure it over a short sleeve (20mm?*) of PU tubing over the trim lines.

If your trim rope is 5mm then you'll need a piece of PU tubing about 8mm ID so with a wall thickness of say 1mm the PU tubing will be about 10mm OD. So drill the stopper ball out to at least 10mm. It doesn't have to be pretty, it won't take any load, it's just to lock the stopper on the rope.

Don't worry about having one or two bits of rope, if you're using 5mm Dyneema the breaking load is typically over 2,000 kg so long before that load is exceeded you'd be toast. Even 3mm Dyneema breaking load is typically over 800 kg.
I'm using 3/16 Amsteel which I believe is 4.7625mm and I double layered it so basically I could've hitched a ride behind Falcon Heavy with this rope before it broke :lol:
iriejohn wrote: Don't put PU over your trim lines because you won't see where they wear, particularly if there's sand around. I don't care what wears as long as I can see it happening.
This makes a ton of sense and I too agree with this I'd rather see it and know when it needs replacing rather than just snapping.
iriejohn wrote: I put a 15mm stainless ring in the larks head connecting the QR to the trim line to thread the safety line through so that it doesn't flap around the hole in the bar.
Yeah I actually changed the D-ring I have in the pic to one of the SS rings (they're smaller) and I'm using a bungee to keep things tidy so hopefully, there won't be much flapping around, but I'm sure over time this will be an issue so it is a great idea ima steal it for my next iteration bar setup.

Tnx all for your incredible feedback, help, and patience with this, this is truly an amazing thread.

topmick
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sunshine Coast
Favorite Beaches: Cotton Tree
Style: surf
Gear: Switch
FireWire
Has thanked: 0

Postby topmick » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:38 am

Personally I don't like PU on center lines, sure they last much longer but they can jam up.
Very easy to spice your own CL & easy to see if it needs replacing.

Jackie Treehorn
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby Jackie Treehorn » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:53 am

I was looking at an old Cab bar picture online and didn't seem like it's any different from my setup except the PU on the rope itself. Again not trying or being hard headed just don't necessarily see the difference.
Not used that bar but it looks like it suffers from the same flaw. The more recent Cabrinha offering looks better and space for the the release to work is built into the chicken loop:

pixelpedro
Frequent Poster

Postby pixelpedro » Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:22 pm

Jackie Treehorn wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:53 am
Not used that bar but it looks like it suffers from the same flaw. The more recent Cabrinha offering looks better and space for the release to work is built into the chicken loop:
It does indeed! they've obviously learned something over the years, not sure if I'll add the spacer area right away to be honest gona test it a bit and see how it goes first, I really like the idea of getting the entire thing closer to me and this would space it out another few inches again.

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:39 pm

Yes, you will give up a bit but
You can also get the whole setup too close
Elbows hit hips & no leverage when all the way in,
Doable but unnecessary.
Make sure you show us what you end up with...

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:14 pm

knotwindy wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:39 pm
Doable but unnecessary.
How close is too close depends on the harness being used - eg waist vs seat harness.

I use a seat harness (ION Echo) and I have no control problems with my fully sheeted in bar sitting about 4"'/10cm from my Dynabar rope spreader.

pixelpedro
Frequent Poster

Postby pixelpedro » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:31 am

iriejohn wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:14 pm
knotwindy wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:39 pm
Doable but unnecessary.
How close is too close depends on the harness being used - eg waist vs seat harness.

I use a seat harness (ION Echo) and I have no control problems with my fully sheeted in bar sitting about 4"'/10cm from my Dynabar rope spreader.
Hey guys when I say close I mean it but definitely not ridiculous close :lol: I tested the bar out with my harness (Ride Engine + rope) and the stretch on the spreader bar rope under load is of about 3/4" maybe an inch so this brings it real close but not to the extreme that's hitting my hips and elbows.

I love the SS bar: light, tough, good grip, not terrible on the hands, but can anyone recommend another bar? is there anything more ergonomic or lighter out there? just curious.

Tnx again for all the feeback ... my bar rocks! can't wait to use it.

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:11 am

pixelpedro wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:31 am
I love the SS bar: light, tough, good grip, not terrible on the hands, but can anyone recommend another bar? is there anything more ergonomic or lighter out there? just curious.

Tnx again for all the feeback ... my bar rocks! can't wait to use it.
Have 17" and 20" SS bars (both with 23m lines) which as you say are well made, strong and comfortable. Also have an older Airush Smartbar 23" bar with 27m lines for summer light winds, also nice to use. All three are base bars only rebuilt to the way I like them so no point in changing them to save a few grammes here and there.

airsail
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg
Local Beach: Queens Beach North, Queensland, Australia
Favorite Beaches: Queens North, I don’t travel much
Style: Foiling
Gear: Sonic 3 15mtr, Soul 10 mtr, BRM Clouds 8, 6.2, 4.8, 3.7
Lift, Naish and Levitaz foils
Carbonco and home build boards
Ozone and Duotone wings
Naish Hover 95 foilboard

Postby airsail » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:41 pm

So more in the interests of weight saving, rather than chicken loop bye bye, a carbon bar rather than the current heavy alloy offerings from the major manufacturers. Best used to do them but I guess cost and ease of manufacture has stopped the idea.

The question is, does the bar need a hole in it for the depower line, can this line be run through an eye on the side of the tube rather than through the tube. Makes for a much stronger bar with no added weight to restrengthen it after boring a bloody great hole through the centre.

Without going into a testing stage has anyone tried this?
Thanks

Return to “Kitesurfing”