Forum for kitesurfers
alford
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: all brands
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Chicken Loop Bye Bye?

Postby alford » Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:17 pm

tomatkins wrote:
alford wrote:This photo is from a page earlier in this topic: Am I looking at it correctly? (I rotated the photo)
On the top left I see a front line, on the bottom left the main sheeting depower line, the red line is a front line attached to a flag out line.
Isn't something needed like a stopper ball to prevent the flag line from going up through the ring?
Is this all that's needed if one forgoes the trim system and atb swivel?
Apologies to the OP if I have this all wrong.
I have been using my system for a year or so, without the ring, and have not found any reason to put the ring back on it. If you do self landings, it is really nice to be able to grab the upper front line right there at the bar, where it is clearly obvious which of the 2 front lines is the right one to grab.

Here is a picture from page 22 of this thread showing the completed set-up... which uses the same principle for the safety... that of “breaking” (disconnecting) one front line and letting the other front line be the flagging line.No RING on front lines.jpg
No ring, that's pretty cool. The main advantage for you is that it's easier to see the front lines separately-especially while self-landing, correct? Did the ring have any advantages or simply not worth the extra item to deal with?
The thing I'm most impressed with on the BRM bar is the neatness below the bar, two release balls and integrated leash. That's pretty sweet, simple and clean. Of course I haven't actually used one but I can appreciate the design pureness and by all accounts, great function.
Attachments
No RING on front lines.jpg
No RING on front lines.jpg (286.16 KiB) Viewed 1775 times

alford
Very Frequent Poster

Postby alford » Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:03 pm

Now the question for me is: How can I attach both front lines, below the bar, to a Cabrinha mushroom release and also have one of those front lines attached to a short leash for flagging? Will the "mushroom" take two rings and will there be room on one of those rings to attach a leash?

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:50 pm

alford wrote:Now the question for me is: How can I attach both front lines, below the bar, to a Cabrinha mushroom release and also have one of those front lines attached to a short leash for flagging? Will the "mushroom" take two rings and will there be room on one of those rings to attach a leash?
I used 2 rings of different diameters 4mm thick.
The larger one is the flagging ring.
I clamped the Cabrinha type Q/R onto them both with the smaller ring on the inside.
I put a chain link onto the larger ring and connected the leash onto that.
2rings2links.jpg

alford
Very Frequent Poster

Postby alford » Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:11 pm

Where did you get the white ball release?

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:44 pm

alford wrote:Where did you get the white ball release?
Bought a BRM CCS bar.

alford
Very Frequent Poster

Postby alford » Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:56 pm

and you're not using it?

alford
Very Frequent Poster

Postby alford » Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:04 am

@ tomatkins, what are the front line leaders made of?

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:35 am

alford wrote:and you're not using it?
I use the BRM bar for the 8m, and for the 17m when on holiday - and it worked well with a 10m Crossbow, because I could operate the IDS just by pulling down 3m of front lines, or if I had an emergency and wanted to flag it onto 1 front line, I could.

I have a Nobile bar that's not the bar in the picture, which has 27m Ozone Lines, and works similar to the BRM bar, which I use for the 17m.

The picture was of an experiment to put together a 2 ring setup.

tomatkins
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby tomatkins » Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:41 pm

alford wrote:@ tomatkins, what are the front line leaders made of?
Also, you asked: ..."No ring, that's pretty cool. The main advantage for you is that it's easier to see the front lines separately-especially while self-landing, correct? Did the ring have any advantages or simply not worth the extra item to deal with?”

Answer: (1) Spectra... either 4 or 5 mm (the larger the better, since the 2 front line leaders are also the “power line”... but they must fit and slide through the hole in the bar without jamming). Below is a picture of the arrangement of the 2 rings and the shackle release. I wanted to use the old Cabrinha Mushroom push-away release, but couldn’t find a clean way to use it. I love those releases!

(2) “NO ring” answer: Even more advantages like one less heavy item to get swinging or tangleing when things don’t go right, but yes, the easy identification of each front line is a huge advantage when doing tricky stuff, on purpose, like self landing... or tricky stuff to get out of trouble, like when lines get floated around a bar end during a “washing machine” surf tumble. The ring does have the advantage keeping the bar from sliding to far up the front lines, when you spin the bar, but I installed a friction-held little ball on one of the lines to do that... and also, I put a stopper ball further up the one line to limit distance of the bar-slide, during a emergency release.
shackle.jpg
shackle.jpg (138.31 KiB) Viewed 1458 times

windfreak74
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 70 kg
Local Beach: la trinchera
Favorite Beaches: maule region
Style: weird style!
Gear: switch helium3 7m 2018
Crazyfly 115 x 44 Chill 2021
nobile 2hd 134x42 2018
Manta foil 2015/2018
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby windfreak74 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:44 pm

i wanted to post to show my spreader adaptation which seems to me the most simple i could do.
this can be hooked in regular chicken loop or cabrinha type mushroom/wichard direct to the rings or brm type ccs system
2 4mm d rings welded to spreader bar which were outsourced from an old busted harness.
minimal leverage and versatility.
the two little red balls limit the chicken loop on the rope protected by a tube.
been using this combo for over a year no major issues until now.
Attachments
20160703_221146_resized.jpg
20160703_221123_resized.jpg

Return to “Kitesurfing”