Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Boardriding Maui Paipo, lightwind..or any wind.

Forum for kitesurfers
Harri
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Austria and Italy
Gear: ...
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Re: Boardriding Maui Paipo, lightwind..or any wind.

Postby Harri » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:39 pm

Refering to DIY: i had the BRM Paipo as one of the first in europe last year. Great, really great board, but on my homespot with thermical 10 knots and weighing nude 95kg.....to much rocker!
So i bulit myself a similar board with 169/48 cm; 169 x 51,5 cm and 151 x 45 cm, all with really flat scoop (2cm), no rocker! Just great fun in choppy water!!!! Way better fun than riding a door in these conditions!

Making off...
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Pwv-sgWhtmc
Attachments
IMG_2365.JPG
Quad setup
IMG_2365.JPG (54.49 KiB) Viewed 2541 times
Family.png
Made already 7 of them, 4 sold to friends. Those 3 i kept for me and my son.
Family.png (418.37 KiB) Viewed 2541 times

herbert
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Kailua
Style: directional
Gear: RRD
Has thanked: 0

Postby herbert » Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:49 am

Harri wrote:Refering to DIY: i had the BRM Paipo as one of the first in europe last year. Great, really great board, but on my homespot with thermical 10 knots and weighing nude 95kg.....to much rocker!
So i bulit myself a similar board with 169/48 cm; 169 x 51,5 cm and 151 x 45 cm, all with really flat scoop (2cm), no rocker! Just great fun in choppy water!!!! Way better fun than riding a door in these conditions!

Making off...
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Pwv-sgWhtmc
Harri,
Kitesurfing nude is risky, no?
I lent my BRM Paipo to a friend who weighs 95 kg (in board shorts, I think). He also wanted less rocker. He usually uses an Alaia and likes to kite in 6 to 7 knots. Where I kite, there is a fair amount of chop and the BRM Paipo rocker really keeps me from nosediving and means I can ride the board with weight a little more forward and off the tail...when I want to. And it can turn more like a modern surfboard, especially coming down a wave face. But you are right, I need a bit more wind to get going.
Your video is great and I'm really impressed with your skill. Amazing.

photo from "The History of Surfing" Hawaiian wave riders, late 1800's

Alles gute.
Attachments
Screen shot 2014-07-28 at 1.22.42 PM.png
Screen shot 2014-07-28 at 1.22.42 PM.png (125.39 KiB) Viewed 2479 times

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:10 am

I like your versions. I find a little more fin helps with upwind and light wind performance.
Even at 80kg I wish for a little more low end on my standard rocker paipo.
And I may try a quad setup too, though I really like how it goes with 2 fins.
A fcs compatible version would be cool, but weird because the inserts are thicker than the board.
The benefit of the standard rocker was apparent though on a downwinder last week, after a few miles running downwind over chop, I was wishing for more. My friend on a more conventional wide tailed fish board was done, too much slamming. The brm Paipo has it pretty dialed for all around performance I think.

mdksniper
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Long Beach Island, NJ
Gear: Naish Rides, BRM Cloud 17, Litewave kiteboards

Postby mdksniper » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:13 am

Two weeks ago, I decided I want to learn to ride strapless directional boards. I researched surf boards, but ultimately went with the Paipo after reading various threads on KF and elsewhere. Greg shipped it the same day and I got it 2 days later. Pretty awesome shipping speed.

I finally got out on it this past weekend. There was a big storm that we waited out and afterwards the wind picked up to 15mph average, not exactly light wind, but I'd be doing an underpowered downwinder on a twintip with at wind speed.. Now, i'm a pretty big guy (210 lbs) and I've never rode strapless before, but I was able to get up on it and go upwind on my first tack with my 12m Cloud. Everyone else (15 other people) was having trouble staying upwind on their 15+m kites, but I was ripping upwind. This board rocks! I really love the "skatey" feel it has. Now I just gotta work on my strapless transitions.

poldo
Frequent Poster

Postby poldo » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:45 am

this Arriba (from ITaly) board I use to ride (only strapless) since 2-3 years, is lot of fun in light winds and small waves, not exactly the same but something looks similar

I have the twinfin one (pic below) but newer ones have different fins place and a small middle fin (optional)

Construction is quite stiff (no flex), light, big concave in the middle going flat to the end makes it comfortable in chop and really good upwind

Original twin fins are quite locked, I have to try with smaller fins to have a looser feel...
Attachments
funracesmallmosaic.jpg
arriba freerace.jpg

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:12 am

mdksniper wrote:Two weeks ago, I decided I want to learn to ride strapless directional boards. I researched surf boards, but ultimately went with the Paipo after reading various threads on KF and elsewhere. Greg shipped it the same day and I got it 2 days later. Pretty awesome shipping speed.

I finally got out on it this past weekend. There was a big storm that we waited out and afterwards the wind picked up to 15mph average, not exactly light wind, but I'd be doing an underpowered downwinder on a twintip with at wind speed.. Now, i'm a pretty big guy (210 lbs) and I've never rode strapless before, but I was able to get up on it and go upwind on my first tack with my 12m Cloud. Everyone else (15 other people) was having trouble staying upwind on their 15+m kites, but I was ripping upwind. This board rocks! I really love the "skatey" feel it has. Now I just gotta work on my strapless transitions.
hell yes. Slidey nice. Just wait until you nose ride that sucker on a wave :-) I'd say the nose rocker is really nice. I would not be without it.

zob
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Grado Pineta (IT), Fossalon (IT)
Style: Freeride, strapless hooked-in
Gear: FS S3 19m2 DLX, S3 CE 12m2 DLX & S4 8m2 DLX
Homemade Surf & Snow Boards
MBS Pro90

Postby zob » Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:26 pm

poldo wrote:this Arriba (from ITaly) board I use to ride (only strapless) since 2-3 years, is lot of fun in light winds and small waves, not exactly the same but something looks similar
What are the dimensions of this board?
Fin position will have influence on overall feal. Paipo has them way back, your Ariba a bit thowards the front, and the 3 fin Ariba has the side fins way more thoward the front (similar like a mutant has). 2nd thing is the fin size. Overall, similar shape, more tight turning/feel.

coleman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby coleman » Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:38 pm

finally got to get some riding in on my shinnster after having it sit in the closet for 2 weeks. this board is fantastic. I have been mostly on the north nugget for the last year and this is a great change of pace. its similar in its range of use to the nugget, great in light wind and upwind but the way it feels is very different obviously than a surf board.

really locks into the edge well and in that way its like a TT but the low end would be similar to a door or something big and flat like that. got it into some super flat shallow water and took it for some downwind carving and it just floats along keeping speed through turns and tracking really well edge to edge. reminds me of snowboarding in powder.

tried a few skatey tricks but i suck at that stuff so i didnt really have success there but the board does slide out well enough. i may try some smaller fins at some point and see how things change on it.....i think it would be fine finless as the edge really holds well.

this board has TONS of potential. carves beautifully, fast, planes early, skatey when you want it to be, grips and tanks upwind. nothing but fun. big thanks to greg for designing this thing!

poldo
Frequent Poster

Postby poldo » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:25 am

zob wrote:
poldo wrote:this Arriba (from ITaly) board I use to ride (only strapless) since 2-3 years, is lot of fun in light winds and small waves, not exactly the same but something looks similar
What are the dimensions of this board?
Fin position will have influence on overall feal. Paipo has them way back, your Ariba a bit thowards the front, and the 3 fin Ariba has the side fins way more thoward the front (similar like a mutant has). 2nd thing is the fin size. Overall, similar shape, more tight turning/feel.
mine is 155x50 but the shaper do some wider ones for heavier people. shaper website is www.arribarriba.it

I'm 66kg and for me this size is perfect in light wind. as said I should try with smaller fins, I've just bought some spares

here an image with straps, that I NOT suggest with this board because for better performance you have to move around your back fooot
Attachments
arriba funrace.jpg

Phil
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Famara
Gear: Naish Slash 2017 9m & 7m, Firewire Vader 5'3, HB Lafayette 5'10

Postby Phil » Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:03 am

Even Mr Shinn has put a full deck pad on his Shinnster :thumb:
Maybe a forthcoming option?
This deck pad with additional grab foam looks great :cool2:
Shinn's Shinnster.png
http://vimeo.com/104385824

Phil
Have Fun & Ride Safe

Return to “Kitesurfing”