Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Why are the majority of kites so ugly?

Forum for kitesurfers
SpaceRacer
Frequent Poster

Why are the majority of kites so ugly?

Postby SpaceRacer » Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:00 pm

I fly Rebels. WTF?! I mean these kite companies have these massive canvases on which to work and this is the best they can come up with? Where are the flames (kudos to caution for trying), tribal designs (kudos to Wainman for trying), 60s pinup girls, etc. my last Rebel was battleship gray, with yellow and Kelly green. It looked like a frickin rotten Easter egg. If the kite companies are too lazy why don't they run a contest and let the public do the creative design? Winner gets a free pump. So tired of ugly kites. TFLMV

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Why are the majority of kites so ugly?

Postby Starsky » Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:12 pm

amen

MACTNKA
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Nantucket
Favorite Beaches: Madaket harbor, south shore, jetties
Style: Freestyle
Gear: Core, xennon
Been thanked: 0

Postby MACTNKA » Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:39 pm

Different colors means different streching. I'd rather fly all white kites! Take the attention off the kiter too:)

Thor SFBay
Medium Poster
Local Beach: 3rd Ave, California
Favorite Beaches: Bolinas, CA
Style: freeride
Gear: Naish Park kites, Naish Haze board

Postby Thor SFBay » Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:49 pm

I was just having that exact conversation with a girl who was trying out the new Naish Pivot yesterday. She commented on how pretty the kite is and I replied that with the exception of Naish and maybe a very few others, most of the kites are really boring and often flat out ugly. WIth all that canvas to work with, it's amazing how few kite companies bother to put out something beautiful.

Caution gets no credit for the flames - they've been doing it for years and still can't get it right.

And look at how lazy those guys at Core are! Same boring yellow and black on white for every kite. Blech.

Tiago1973
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Portugal
Style: Freeriding

Postby Tiago1973 » Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:09 pm

MACTNKA wrote:Different colors means different streching.
so, do they turn to the right side, or the left side?

SpaceRacer
Frequent Poster

Postby SpaceRacer » Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:24 pm

LOL! The North Easter Egg.

BrianMaiden
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Guincho, Kingfisher, Fuerte, Tarifa, Gwithian
Favorite Beaches: Gwithian
Style: Strapless
Gear: Duotone

Postby BrianMaiden » Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:44 pm

i agree about the blandness and lack of creativity of kites but seriously - flames and tribal ? why not add a hibiscus flower and complete the surfing cliché. Maybe they don't always get it right but at least North try something different , not conventional surfing iconography. It took years for Naish to shake the skull and crossbones things and they're better off for it so i'm personally open to anything news as long as its not done-to-death surf style

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Starsky » Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:06 pm

BrianMaiden wrote:i agree about the blandness and lack of creativity of kites but seriously - flames and tribal ? why not add a hibiscus flower and complete the surfing cliché. Maybe they don't always get it right but at least North try something different , not conventional surfing iconography. It took years for Naish to shake the skull and crossbones things and they're better off for it so i'm personally open to anything news as long as its not done-to-death surf style

OMG, North invented ugly kite graphics, and had a lock on the award for quite a few years there. What I find so weird is that slingy with their iconic look can make em both so great and so god awful from year to year. There are gems out there, but no one company makes em all look good. LF put together some decent stuff, but again, its not every year, thats for sure.

BrianMaiden
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Guincho, Kingfisher, Fuerte, Tarifa, Gwithian
Favorite Beaches: Gwithian
Style: Strapless
Gear: Duotone

Postby BrianMaiden » Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:39 pm

I'm not saying north graphics are good i'm praising them for having the balls to try something different. Same with Wainman - not saying they're great but they've got the guts not to follow the path of every other brand.

salvino
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Eastern end of Lake Erie
Favorite Beaches: Barbados
Hatteras
Lakes Erie and Ontario
Gear: Stallion SB
Moses 633,590,500 HF
Temavento board
Grooveskate board
Airush Ultra, North Neo 5,7,9

Postby salvino » Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:40 pm

I have Wainmans and rrd. Totally different approach to color. The multi colored rrd are at least eye catching as they move across sky and do appeal to spectators. The black Wainmans are not flashy and get lost if not early sunny. Also they heat up in sun on beach QUICKLY. And who in our sport keeps promoting smoking? I know it's a dube but really?

I saw nobile pix a few years ago of a kite with two eyes on the canvas. Awesome!
Now Wainmans Maniac is doing that but either black or orange.

This is a missed opportunity and with most companies level on the quality/development it will come down to style looks for spending that next chunk of change.

Wake up!

Return to “Kitesurfing”