Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Why are the majority of kites so ugly?

Forum for kitesurfers
edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Re: Why are the majority of kites so ugly?

Postby edt » Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:16 pm

take a look at all the skateboard designs. In skateboarding there is no reason not to get the exact kind of art you want. so wahtever they are selling is exactly what the customer wants.

I think maybe the bad taste is not the kite manufacturers. But the customers.

eree
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby eree » Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:39 pm

SpaceRacer wrote:...Winner gets a free pump...
:lol:
may be the first prize is not motivational enough

NorCalNomad
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: San Francisco
Gear: Why should it matter?
Has thanked: 0

Postby NorCalNomad » Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:10 pm

SpaceRacer wrote:Where are the flames (kudos to caution for trying) UGLY, tribal designs (kudos to Wainman for trying)UGLYER, 60s pinup girls, etc. my last Rebel was battleship gray, with yellow and Kelly green.
While I'll give you the 2013 North's weren't amazing, North on a pure design theory is stomping just about every kite company into the dirt. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dieter_Ram ... ood_design

Geronimo79
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Freeride
Gear: Epic Kites and Arise and Hyperflex
Brand Affiliation: Epic Kites and Arise
Been thanked: 0

Postby Geronimo79 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:33 pm

People simply like different things. North seems to do well with there very clean design. i personally am amazed by the new Naish Pivot. Its brilliant.

The reason most brands dont do very complex designs on the kites is because of the amount of molds that have been made. Every colour needs a mold, for complex designs this can ad up alot, and then most people like cleaner looks.

Some people like tribals and earings.. others like cleaner designs. Some like waiman some like north. In the end its a matter of taste. Its sad Freakdog never continued I was working on a voodoo kite with them with very nice graphics.

juandesooka
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Style: Canada's Kai Lenny (in my mind)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo wings&kites / GoFoil
Brand Affiliation: Open to offers

Postby juandesooka » Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:00 pm

I have BWS kites...they have gone with Spinal Tap black album look "how much more black could it be? None more black".

Personally I don't actually care much what the kite looks like ... I am not a fan of the black just for safety, in terms of reduced visibility kiting in the dark stormy grey on grey west coast Canadian winter.

On the other hand, I quite like some of Ocean Rodeo's graphic designs.

heinzbush
Medium Poster

Postby heinzbush » Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:41 pm

lol
flames, tribals, pin-up girls -> would this kite be targeted at boys pre- or within puberty? :D

just messing with ya... but taste is different. I agree on the Core GTS3, that is one fine looking kite... I love Cabs, especially my blue yellow SB 2014... but in the end, I don't care about design (if its not ugly), i.e. , my only criteria is that it should not be super ugly (e.g. flames, tribals, etc.)... if that criteria is met, I go with the kite that flies best.. why else did I just buy a 2009 Best Nemesis HP (ridiculous power and lift) and a 2011 North Dyno (ridiculous raw hang time) :)

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:53 pm

What is amazing is that anyone would think there is some sort of criteria for what good kite graphics are.
Being kite graphic designer must be the most thankless job.

Thor SFBay
Medium Poster
Local Beach: 3rd Ave, California
Favorite Beaches: Bolinas, CA
Style: freeride
Gear: Naish Park kites, Naish Haze board

Postby Thor SFBay » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:11 pm

TomW wrote:What is amazing is that anyone would think there is some sort of criteria for what good kite graphics are.
Being kite graphic designer must be the most thankless job.
From the looks of most kites, I don't think they actually hire a "kite graphic designer". Sure it's subjective, but I still think it's a fair statement to say that most kites are either ugly or boring. If you think they are doing a great job, well, okay. Do you also drive a silver car, live in a beige house, and drink Budweiser? Just kidding. But there's no end to bad taste here in the USA, so it would be nice if at least the kites were worth looking at when everything else seems to just get uglier and uglier.

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:20 pm

[.. why else did I just buy a 2009 Best Nemesis HP (ridiculous power and lift) and a 2011 North Dyno (ridiculous raw hang time) :)[/quote]

Amen brother...personally I don't give a toss what it looks like, but that's just me. Rarely look at the damn kite anyway.

Randahl
Medium Poster
Local Beach: SF Bay, San Diego
Favorite Beaches: San Felipe BC, Mission Bay and San Diego at large, Belmont, C Street, Emma Wood, Ledbetter, Sherman, East Bay
Style: Foils and Twins
Gear: Sword 2, Camet, Ozone, F-One

Postby Randahl » Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:02 am

Bille wrote:
tautologies wrote:
MACTNKA wrote:Different colors means means different streching.
Until you can prove that any such difference ...
Yea , me too ; you'd need to prove that .

If All White were an option ; i would go with all white, because i Like it !!
My least favorite color is that ---- lime-green .

Bille
Ha, the Cloud is white canopy with a bright green LE. I think its one of the best looking ones out there. Though it seems like the light colors pick up stains from who knows where. My aesthetic preferences have never leaned toward graphical vomit. Somehow to me the more loud the kite, the worse the rider seems to look as well.

On the other hand, how can we get some big companies to start chipping in to put logos on our flying billboards? I have seen the Bud Light Lime kites from time to time. I would be the first to volunteer my quiver if it meant saving some coin.

Return to “Kitesurfing”