Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Folly
Gear: RRD Obsession/Core XR/Cab FX
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Losing valves

Postby t3rse » Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:43 pm

I know I know..millions of posts on this, but a little different question perhaps:

I have recently lost valves on two kites with new bladders. Both valves that failed were pinched--folded at the base and at this wrinkle pulled off the bladder. I was told a pinched valve should be fine. Anyone had this happen? It appears the 9mm valves at the base are larger than the hole in the LE on one kite (LF with the plastic shrouds so I didn't see the pinched parts until they failed on me). The other kite, they all look fine except that one and I know it was good when I put it together, so it happened after the fact (since I'm kind of anal about these sort of things).

NYKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Wave
Gear: .

Re: Losing valves

Postby NYKiter » Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:22 pm

and your question is...

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:25 pm

NYKiter wrote:and your question is...
LOL
I know I know..millions of posts on this, but a little different question perhaps:

I have recently lost valves on two kites with new bladders. Both valves that failed were pinched--folded at the base and at this wrinkle pulled off the bladder. I was told a pinched valve should be fine. Anyone had this happen? It appears the 9mm valves at the base are larger than the hole in the LE on one kite (LF with the plastic shrouds so I didn't see the pinched parts until they failed on me). The other kite, they all look fine except that one and I know it was good when I put it together, so it happened after the fact (since I'm kind of anal about these sort of things).

t3rse
Frequent Poster

Postby t3rse » Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:26 pm

NYKiter wrote:and your question is...
valid....

My question, has anyone had a valve leak or delaminate because the valve had a fold at the base where it came through the LE fabric?

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board

Postby Laughingman » Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:33 pm

so you are saying the base of the valve with adhesive was not put on correctly creating a fold in the bladder material?

t3rse
Frequent Poster

Postby t3rse » Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:17 pm

Laughingman wrote:so you are saying the base of the valve with adhesive was not put on correctly creating a fold in the bladder material?
Negative.

Where the valve goes through the LE, it has a crease in the fat part of the valve itself, which stresses the base attached to the bladder. Kind of like when you are a kid and make a super straw by folding the end of one straw and inserting it into the end of another. Make sense?

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:17 pm

t3rse can you take a picture of this "fold" it's hard to figure out what you are describing.

t3rse
Frequent Poster

Postby t3rse » Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:31 pm

edt wrote:t3rse can you take a picture of this "fold" it's hard to figure out what you are describing.
I actually do have a picture that I sent to the vendor. Sorry about the lighting...my phone was croaking and I had to use a flashlight for illumination. The valve delaminated at this fold on the bladder.

My other kite did this after time...the valve that did this wasn't like this on install. On this one, I was in a hurry so who knows....

cleepa
Frequent Poster

Postby cleepa » Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:47 pm

Not knowingly. But I have had several vales peel away over time. I used to fly 07 Norths, that had these stupid T valves for the struts that sat between the LE and the strut. Those failed a lot - perhaps because of the pressure on them. So I could definitely believe a fold causing a valve to peel away, as the fold would add extra stress to the glue.

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Laughingman » Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:53 pm

I have replaced dozens of valves and I have never seen a valve get misshaped like that.
the hole the valve pops through is too small for the valve and it has caused the valve to crease and fold...
I would think this is definitely contributing to the delamination.

Return to “Kitesurfing”