Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Best massive air kite for 30 + knots? old Raven lover...

Forum for kitesurfers
vilaprea
Medium Poster
Gear: RPM's
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Best massive air kite for 30 + knots? old Raven lover...

Postby vilaprea » Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:08 am

Hey guys,
I'm looking for a high-jumping, great hangtime kite that will handle nicely in 30 to 35 knots :D

I loved my 2006, 8m Naish Raven, it got me nice and high and stayed there for quite some time, favorite all-time kite. Only issue is that after crashing it a few times in the waves, no-one in Brazil wanted to get close to the bladders, the octopus system being the major issue, and buying spares here is just not an option. So after a few repairs I had to ditch it.

Since 2008 I've been riding RPM's, a 7m and then 8m (better), I love the bomb-proof quality and it's pretty decent in terms of height and hangtime but I'm wondering if it is worth trying something different.

I've been thinking about the Draft, but it's either a 7 or a 9m and I would have to get a full replacement kit of bladders...

Has anyone tried both the older Raven's and the Draft?

Any other suggestion is welcome :thumb:

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Best massive air kite for 30 + knots? old Raven lover...

Postby tautologies » Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:15 am

vilaprea wrote:Hey guys,
I'm looking for a high-jumping, great hangtime kite that will handle nicely in 30 to 35 knots :D

I loved my 2006, 8m Naish Raven, it got me nice and high and stayed there for quite some time, favorite all-time kite. Only issue is that after crashing it a few times in the waves, no-one in Brazil wanted to get close to the bladders, the octopus system being the major issue, and buying spares here is just not an option. So after a few repairs I had to ditch it.

Since 2008 I've been riding RPM's, a 7m and then 8m (better), I love the bomb-proof quality and it's pretty decent in terms of height and hangtime but I'm wondering if it is worth trying something different.

I've been thinking about the Draft, but it's either a 7 or a 9m and I would have to get a full replacement kit of bladders...

Has anyone tried both the older Raven's and the Draft?

Any other suggestion is welcome :thumb:
I have. Used the ravens. And drafts. Ravens are bit more aggressive going up, but the hangtime and range you get out of the draft is unreal. You can go super loaded on the drafts...it is easier to jump that kite loaded. Ravens had the gutwrenching jumping..the drafts when loaded goes up hard as well, but you can jump more ways with the draft and still be successful. Ravens were to me just full on or nothing.

Why would you get replacement for bladders? I mean

Dirk
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: St. Peter Ording
Favorite Beaches: St. Peter Ording, Tarifa, Sylt
Style: Freeride, jumping, waves, foiling
Gear: Naish Pivot, Slash, Boxer, Global, Motion, Traverse, Hero, Naish Hover, Naish Surf Foil

Postby Dirk » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:57 am

Used to ride the Raven a lot as well and really loved the 2007 version. Now on Parks. I have not ridden it but I would imagine that the Torch gives you a similar feeling concerning lift compared to the Raven. But obviously not a hangtime kite (unless you are powered like the guys in KOTA).

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:02 am

a friend found n old raven last year and took it for a session - ended up getting lofted on beach and ejected at about 25ft into soft sand before going up and over huge dune - was about a half a m deep in it - saved his ass! couldnt walk well for a couple of days but turned out all good.

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: Flag Beach, Fuerteventura
Style: Everything
Gear: Indiana, Sailmon
Brand Affiliation: Indiana, Sailmon

Postby gmb13 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:57 pm

You may want to try the Peter Lynn Fury 9 or 7. Great quality and best of all, huge lift and hang time.

Thats the 7 in the picture.

--
Gunnar

Fatfish98
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Fatfish98 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:22 pm

If you like the RPM then the Rally 2014 jumps higher (on average) but down here there is one stand out 7m for height and hangtime.........2014 RRD Obsession 7m :o

vilaprea
Medium Poster

Postby vilaprea » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:12 am

thanks for the input guys

Taut: I was mentioning a set of replacement bladders because no-one here wants to repair an octopus system (my issue was popped leading edge on the Raven).

Gunnar: nice boosting on that 7! thanks for the tip, I'll take a look at the Fury also

Dirk: Kevin was on a 10 m Torch at KOTA! in 30+ knots :o serious boosting!

Fatfish: good call on the Obsession, hadn't thought about it :thumb:

I remember reading a post by fdvj mentioning the Draft looking 'unstable' at KOTA, maybe it was a larger size (9 or 10.5) in really strong and gusty winds?

Have you tried mega-looping these kites? :o

nikalaitzian
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Loutsa Nissakia,Oropos,Vouliagmeni
Style: wave,bigair,megaloops,hydrofoil,wingfoil
Gear: Epic kites,BTS kiteboards,cohete surfboards,SAB,GAC hydrofoils
Brand Affiliation: Epic Kites,GAC

Postby nikalaitzian » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:42 pm

Epic screamer 9m.check Dimitris videos ;).for megaloops ???exploding forward draft and sure "catching"

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: I travel all over the world.
Favorite Beaches: So many to list....
Style: MY OWN STYLE :-)
Gear: SCREAMER 7/9/12/14 for Free Style. Not to forget the SCREAMER 10 LTD for my one go kite.
SURF 8 & 12 for the waves. RENEGADE 6.5 and 9 for all around kiting. And some times I use my son's JUNIOR PRO 4 when it blows 45+ for the waves.
Just try the EPICKITES and you will see for yourself.
Brand Affiliation: Owner of EPIC KITES

Postby Dimitri M » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:47 pm

vilaprea
The best thing to do if you get a chance, is to demo some of the kites people are mentioning in this thread and see which one you like.
This is one of the reason I made this video bellow in order to help some of the kiters go BIG.

vilaprea
Medium Poster

Postby vilaprea » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:19 am

Hey DImitri, thanks for the input and the video, I wish I had seen that like 10 years ago, it would have avoided a lot of bad landings, particularly step 4 :thumb:

Also,I noticed that if you push out the bar about 3 meters before landing, and pull it in again all the way about 1 meter before landing, it helps with the nice gentle landing.

Taut: have you tried the 2015 Draft vs the 2014, do you think it's worth forking out an extra $250 for the new model? It's the difference in price I have found so far...

Return to “Kitesurfing”