Kiting since: 2012
Local Beach: Nantucket
Favorite Beaches: Madaket harbor, south shore, jetties
Style: Freestyle
Gear: Core, xennon
Brand Affiliation: None

2014 Zephyr vs Flite?

Postby MACTNKA » Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:29 am

Hey Guys, has anybody tried and could weigh in on the advantages and disadvantages of these 2 kites?! I saw this video comparison but wasn't clear on the different properties of the kites.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EkVlzOm63I&sns=em
Any input will be well appreciated! Thanks in Advance!

UKRob
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2
Gear: North Rebel 11m (2012)

Re: 2014 Zephyr vs Flite?

Postby UKRob » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:55 am

Cant comment on your particular question but does seem that the Zephyr is held up as the benchmark to compare other LW kites to, particularly as I asked the same question a few days ago asking for comparisons between this and the new North Juice. Must say something for the Zephyr on its own!

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:25 am

Every review of the Zephyr I have read, has said something like not the best low-end but good top end. Flite has better low end, it seems... depends what your goal is.

There's a thread on here called Average Joe's...

MACTNKA
Medium Poster

Postby MACTNKA » Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:14 pm

I was curious about the low end with a non light wind specific twin tip and top end? Also responce speed at the bottom end? I weigh 175lbs. Thanks!

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Prodigy, 9.5m Prodigy, 12m Prodigy , 12m Flite, 17m Flite. Crazyfly Raptor Pro Neon, Shinnster,
Mako Duke.

Postby matth » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:17 pm

I have a 17m Flite and weigh 180lbs. On my Crazyfly 145x48 light wind board I can get going and stay upwind at around 11/12mph. Anything below that is only downwinders and not much fun.
The Flite is very light and stays up in the air easily, which is a big plus for threshold winds.
Very happy with the kite , it has given me an extra 15 sessions so far this year. When the wind picks up to say 14/15mph you are very powered and can get amazing air even in light wind. That's why I bought a 17.

MACTNKA
Medium Poster

Postby MACTNKA » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:33 pm

I had a 17m Core Riot Xr2, and was getting the same or better results with a smaller twin tip. Heck I could stay upwind with my 11m Riot in those winds and even try jumping as I build up speed. The reason I sold my 17 was in Lulls the kite would drop out of the sky. Otherwise I was extremely happy with its upper end and performance when powered. What I was hoping when I sold it was that the Flite being full 2kg less heavy (3vs5kg) would stay up in lulls! About the Zephyr I was hoping that having no bridles it would steer a little more directly in marginal winds so it could generate power! Otherwise I am not sure about its weight? So all in all should I even bother to get a Light Wind Kite or should I Look for a Race Kite like the edge? Thanks for the input!

ORSales
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ORSales » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:57 pm

Mactnka... I work for Ocean Rodeo so take what I have to say with some skepticism but I also encourage you to continue to research what others are saying about the Flite as it has been a runaway winner for us this past year with many people describing it as the best light wind kite available.

Anyway, here's some answers - straight from our designer Ross Harrington.
MACTNKA wrote:I was curious about the low end with a non light wind specific twin tip and top end? Also responce speed at the bottom end? I weigh 175lbs. Thanks!
The 17m Flite was made with its draft quite far forward. This essentially means it wants to pull forward into the wind and pull you upwind as a result. There are 2x benefits to this, obviously the 1st is that in light wind it will help keep you upwind. The 2nd though relates to your question, with many light wind kites the designer has only built a kite with a lot of "shape" to catch the wind. This results in a grunty feel but also results in a kite that is a real tank in higher winds and pulls you downwind. The Flite's draft allows the kite to continue to sail upwind in higher winds - giving it a much larger useful wind range than other light wind kites.
MACTNKA wrote:Should I even bother to get a Light Wind Kite or should I Look for a Race Kite like the edge?
The Flite has been designed specifically to be used with "fun boards" as he calls them. Basically, regular TT boards or surf boards. Race specific kites (which many people use for light wind) lack the initial grunt of the Flite and instead rely on their ability to generate power off apparent wind speeds (essentially, they pull harder the faster you start to move). Whereas the Flite has been designed to deliver immediate low end power (think torque) to get you up and going on a conventional TT board.
MACTNKA wrote:I had a 17m Core Riot Xr2, and was getting the same or better results with a smaller twin tip. The reason I sold my 17 was in Lulls the kite would drop out of the sky. What I was hoping when I sold it was that the Flite being full 2kg less heavy (3vs5kg) would stay up in lulls!
This is exactly right. The Flite is a full 30% lighter than our previous light wind kites and about 2kgs lighter than most other light wind kites. Most of this weight savings was in the Leading Edge which results in a kite which is much (much) less prone to "hindenburging" when hit by a lull.

Hope this helps. If you have any other questions post them here and I'll be happy to answer but I do also suggest you continue your own research as we are very confident with the comments and reviews you'll find on the Flite from other riders on this forum. (Specifically, the Average Joe thread has about 40 pages of comments now, most all of them supporting the Flite as the choice for light winds).

John Z ~ OR

OceanAdventures
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: Leeside park - Fort Walton Beach
Gear: Wainman Hawaii
Brand Affiliation: Wainman Hawaii

Postby OceanAdventures » Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:23 am

Flown both, Flite has better bottom end, is faster and more fun than the zephyr.

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 12
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:01 am

Me to and agree except the fun bit, Both are fun to fly.

IanNJ
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Brigantine NJ
Favorite Beaches: Brigantine, LBI, Kite Island NJ, Caberate, Hatteras
Style: Wave/freestyle
Gear: Currently rocking a 12/10/8 CORE GTS3 for waves and wake. Cabrinha Velocity 13/10/7 for Foil.
Boards: LF 139 Element with LFK boots and no fins, SlingShot/MHL NF2 Strapless Foil, CORE Ripper 2 5'10", Cabrinha Secrete weapon 5'10", Slingshot 5'6" Angry Swallow
Brand Affiliation: www.NewJerseyKiteboarding.com and www.GreenHatKiteboarding.com

Postby IanNJ » Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:09 am

Hey there, I made the video and yes...i know....i didn't really talk a lot about the features. point blank - the Flite is better in low end wind, Zeypher can be held down better in high wind. I ride the Flite and my friends ride the Zeypher, When it hits 15+ i put the Flite down and grab a LF Solo 12m or another 12/13m kite...when it hits 18/20+ they put the zeypher down and grab a 10m.

The Zeypher overall feels like a more "solid" kite, no pulleys great ozone construction and works well with apparent wind. The Flite feels lighter in your hands, does not back stall or hindenburg like other big kites do and feels more fun to me. The Zeypher runs on 27m lines and the Flite on 23m lines....OR should have put in easy attach extensions IMO to give it extra power.

The board is a big influence too, as well as current, weight ect ect.

we ride the 17m Flite and 17m Zeypher back to back a lot! and they are real close. We also sell the 17m CrazyFly Cruz which is not a crowd fav and the new heavy hitter 15.5m LF Solo (which I'm super stoked on and is real close to the zeypher).

It is all about what you are looking for...I would be willing to arrange a demo email me if you are interested.. AtlanticKiteboardingUSA@gmail.com also check out reviews on www.AtlanticKiteboarding.com (site under construction).

Return to “Kitesurfing”