Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Ride Engine Harness feedback..

Forum for kitesurfers
Do-it
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: North and Ocean Rodeo

Re: Ride Engine Harness feedback..

Postby Do-it » Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:30 am

t3rse wrote:That's a handmade custom fit to your back rigid harness with custom graphics... You can buy that off the shelf?
Yeah, that price was without custom graphics. Add another hundred bucks.. 565...for a harness... lol totally worth it...So, it's almost 4x as much as any other harness. Not trying to disrespect the company, i was just replying to the comment about it being the same price as any other harness.

t3rse
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Folly
Gear: RRD Obsession/Core XR/Cab FX
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby t3rse » Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:40 am

Do-it wrote:
t3rse wrote:That's a handmade custom fit to your back rigid harness with custom graphics... You can buy that off the shelf?
Yeah, that price was without custom graphics. Add another hundred bucks.. 565...for a harness... lol totally worth it...So, it's almost 4x as much as any other harness. Not trying to disrespect the company, i was just replying to the comment about it being the same price as any other harness.
Mine was right at 5 with graphics. I already have a sliding hook I'm using. Mystic code is nearly 300. Seems like a fair fee for a kitesurfing prosthetic essentially...

Do-it
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Do-it » Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:50 am

t3rse wrote:
Do-it wrote:
Mine was right at 5 with graphics. I already have a sliding hook I'm using. Mystic code is nearly 300. Seems like a fair fee for a kitesurfing prosthetic essentially...
If you think it's fair, than who am I to argue... I'm just stating my thoughts, and i sure as hell don't have five bills to throw down on a harness.... must be a gucci type of thing, right? Since hadlow uses it?

t3rse
Frequent Poster

Postby t3rse » Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:57 am

I'd say more like a coach built Rolls Royce...quality custom product that is comfortable rather than a fashion statement :D

And everyone has a different body type so a cookie cutter might suit one's needs fine but I don't mind shelling out for something that truly fits.

Do-it
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Do-it » Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:38 am

Do-it wrote:I'd say more like a coach built Rolls Royce..
Or a coach purse... which my wife loves so dearly.....which is a fashion statement....

Flyfish
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Nor Cal
Style: Wave
Gear: Flysurfer

Postby Flyfish » Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:55 am

I just have to say that you don't have to spend that much to get an Engine Harness.
First off, he offers a "generic fit" harness for $250.
I got the Custom fit when I got mine, but I'm actually thinking of going with a generic fit one for a back up harness. I think they are so good that even a generic fit will still be killer.

I'm frugal, and I think his harnesses are totally worth it. I don't think that the graphics is worth the money though.

t3rse
Frequent Poster

Postby t3rse » Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:31 am

Do-it wrote:
Do-it wrote:I'd say more like a coach built Rolls Royce..
Or a coach purse... which my wife loves so dearly.....which is a fashion statement....
Would you be willing to shell out 200 for a set of custom shoes that match your foot perfectly and have great support and will practicly last forever?

Medium Poster

Postby 1968 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:15 am

They are a great harness and everbody has to decide for himself if its worth the money.
Does anybody have problems with peeling -neopren of the carbon fibre?

t3rse
Frequent Poster

Postby t3rse » Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:44 pm

I'm simply arguing that if you go buy a top of the line Mystic at around 300, throw on a Dynabar for another 100+ (since we are comparing functionality), and don't choose a graphic on the Engine, you are paying less than 100$ premium for a custom fit harness.

The argument being made is like maxing out the specs on an auto and comparing it to a different make at baseline options. It isn't a fair comparison. You don't have to get the Engine spreader. You don't have to get graphics. You don't even have to get one that is custom fit. Just keep that in mind when griping about what it costs.

SalmonSlayer
Very Frequent Poster

Postby SalmonSlayer » Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:58 pm

t3rse wrote:I'm simply arguing that if you go buy a top of the line Mystic at around 300, throw on a Dynabar for another 100+ (since we are comparing functionality), and don't choose a graphic on the Engine, you are paying less than 100$ premium for a custom fit harness.

The argument being made is like maxing out the specs on an auto and comparing it to a different make at baseline options. It isn't a fair comparison. You don't have to get the Engine spreader. You don't have to get graphics. You don't even have to get one that is custom fit. Just keep that in mind when griping about what it costs.
As much as I would have liked graphics on my harness, I passed due to the incremental cost. I use a V7 Dynabar too. I did not even pick a logo type/color. I just told him to do whatever he wanted to do.

IMHO harness are the most important piece of equipment we use. It connects the power from the kite to our bodies. It is the one piece of gear that should be customized if possible. I still fly 2008 Best HPs and make my own bars. I buy used gear whenever possible but I have zero regrets buying an Engine harness at a premium price.

Return to “Kitesurfing”