Gear: North
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

22m VS 24 lines

Postby gvironda » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:48 pm

Hi guys
Anybody could compare 22m VS 24 lines?
How much low end do you loose with 22m? Say like 1m kite size?
Can you feel difference in reactivity?
Thanks

dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: N/A

Re: 22m VS 24 lines

Postby dyyylan » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:04 pm

You don't lose any kite size with different line length, the only thing that changes is the size of the wind window. So if you do a full power stroke from top to bottom on 24m lines vs 22m lines, the distance the kite travels will be different. If you are properly powered you probably won't be doing top to bottom sines anyway, so it makes very little difference

kite reactivity might be noticeable. i notice a slight difference between 20m and 23m lines, especially when looping the kite

vannibombonato
Frequent Poster

Postby vannibombonato » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:39 pm

dyyylan wrote:You don't lose any kite size with different line length, the only thing that changes is the size of the wind window. So if you do a full power stroke from top to bottom on 24m lines vs 22m lines, the distance the kite travels will be different. If you are properly powered you probably won't be doing top to bottom sines anyway, so it makes very little difference

kite reactivity might be noticeable. i notice a slight difference between 20m and 23m lines, especially when looping the kite
Dont agree.
Longer lines mean more power, all things being equal. Its a matter of centripetal force components.

That is, if on 22M lines with max sines in marginal winds you are barely able to go upwind, you will probably manage to go upwind on 24M + lines.
Obviously you loose in reactivity.

For me no fun in either cases anyway...so i would say keep reactivity and go for a bigger kite size.

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:21 pm

Flown the dice kites extensively on the 22 and 24 lines. There is a difference in low end and hangtime given the same board. I used 22m for waves (quicker) and 24 for jumping and 27m for boosting airstyle. I think you need at least 3m difference to really make a really noticeable difference though...but it is there and the difference becomes more noticeable the bigger the kite you use. Get yourself 22m and 2m, 3m and 5m extensions, that's what I did.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:12 am

dyyylan wrote:You don't lose any kite size with different line length, the only thing that changes is the size of the wind window. So if you do a full power stroke from top to bottom on 24m lines vs 22m lines, the distance the kite travels will be different. If you are properly powered you probably won't be doing top to bottom sines anyway, so it makes very little difference

Agree fully with Dylan :thumb:

Find the line length that you find "feel" the best for you personally, and nothing else.

Only in marginal conditions with biggest size and working the kite, you could extend for more low end. But then I would go for more than 2m extensions anyways, as a waste of time otherwise IMO :naughty:

8) Peter

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:20 am

It depends on how you want to ride and in what water conditions I think. If I'm surfing with a kite then it's as short as I can get given the wind and board combo. If I want to slow the kite down and get as much hang as I can then longer lines. If you are doing a flat water session and unhooking etc then somewhere in between...so it does matter from where I sit.

Eurus
Frequent Poster

Postby Eurus » Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:46 am

Peter_Frank wrote:

Agree fully with Dylan :thumb:

Find the line length that you find "feel" the best for you personally, and nothing else.

Only in marginal conditions with biggest size and working the kite, you could extend for more low end. But then I would go for more than 2m extensions anyways, as a waste of time otherwise IMO :naughty:

8) Peter
Well you are both wrong then. A kite's projected area and aspect ratio are directly proportional to the line lengths they are attached to. A kite designed to ride on 25M lines will have a higher aspect ratio than that same kite attached to 18M lines. The shorter lines change the shape of the kite which changes the way in which it performs.

This is not my opinion. It's physics.

dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: N/A

Postby dyyylan » Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:51 am

Eurus wrote:This is not my opinion. It's physics.
oh please. there would be like a 0.00000001% difference. there's no need to kook out for a simple question.

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: I travel all over the world.
Favorite Beaches: So many to list....
Style: MY OWN STYLE :-)
Gear: SCREAMER 7/9/12/14 for Free Style. Not to forget the SCREAMER 10 LTD for my one go kite.
SURF 8 & 12 for the waves. RENEGADE 6.5 and 9 for all around kiting. And some times I use my son's JUNIOR PRO 4 when it blows 45+ for the waves.
Just try the EPICKITES and you will see for yourself.
Brand Affiliation: Owner of EPIC KITES

Postby Dimitri M » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:23 am

The size of the lines make a big difference of the comportment of the kite. The longer the lines are, the more power you will have but then the kite will be less responsive and less stable.
On the 2010 EPIC kites we use to use 24 meter lines but after a lot of testing I found out that using 22 meter lines were better then using the 24 meter lines. And that is why we have been using 22 meter lines on our (2011, 3G and 4G) models.
I did loose a little bit of the hang time on the kite by using 22 meter line vs 24 meter lines but no much because 2 meters is not such a big deal. But by having 22 meter lines it made my kites more responsive and more stable in the air.

Now if you use 22 meter lines vs 18 meter lines, you will see a big difference and you will be able to feel it as soon as you get on the board.
But again it's all about getting use to. I fly 15 meter lines on my SURF kite in the waves.

I hope this helps.
:thumb:
Last edited by Dimitri M on Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

longbeachrider
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Long Beach, CA
Style: Freestyle
Gear: Ozone, Cabrinha, Slingshot
Been thanked: 0

Postby longbeachrider » Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:10 am

Seriously... Not going to change a session in any way.

Return to “Kitesurfing”