Medium Poster
Local Beach: none
Style: freeride
Gear: Slingshot Shinn
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Why are kite companies such crap???

Postby letsgoflyakite » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:22 pm

Have to agree about quality control. Bought a new north whip. Found it had De laminated on arrival, before I even rode it. They replaced with another weeks later, and you would think they might have checked it in the circumstances, but all the footpads were put on askew. So two dodgy boards in a row. Not a single email or apology. Top quality price, piss poor construction and customer service. Welcome to North, who must spend all their money on bullshit advertising. Oh, and the bamboo construction that every manufacturer bangs on about is about as thick as a piece of paper, so make your own mind up about what that achieves in the real world.

longbeachrider
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Long Beach, CA
Style: Freestyle
Gear: Ozone, Cabrinha, Slingshot
Been thanked: 0

Postby longbeachrider » Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:05 pm

FredBGG wrote:
longbeachrider wrote:
SpaceRacer wrote: As consumers, our only response is to work with outstanding large retailers who provide quality support, deal with smaller kite companies (Slingshot), or a company that has a non traditional distribution channel (Switch, BRM). I will also make mention of Best as they are offering considerable discounts on new kites via their kite trade in programs and such.
Switch kites????? Really. Three friends of mine bought Switch and had to get rid of them.

All three had the same problem. They were uneven. When inflated they were uneven with a twist in the leading edge..... but the website, graphics and bla bla was elaborate and over done.
Thanks for the feedback - I was only describing the "direct" to customer model and not the quality itself. I know a number of kiters purchasing/riding current gen Switches and they seem ok to me.

Faxie
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Netherlands. Maasvlakte, Slufter, Domburg, Brouwersdam, Ouddorp, Vrouwenpolder, Grevelingen.
Style: Freeride, freestyle, wave.
Gear: Crazyfly Hyper 2022 7-9-12, Infinity 2021 9, Raptor Extreme 2020, selfmade bar.

Postby Faxie » Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:26 pm

I've bought 3 generations of Elements and they were all fine. No QC issues.

You don't have to get rid of them, just claim the warranty. If it's a clear manufacturing error, it'll get replaced with no questions asked.

The board arrived with a small paint error on the bottom, but I can't be bothered with that. The bottom will get some beatings anyways. (but holds up very well I must say.... better than my Acid which was clearly damaged after just a few sessions)

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:14 pm

eree wrote: after complain about the piece of gear is posted usually damage control works like this:
1. brands affiliated persons send posts with no previous knowledge about problem in question, this is never happen to me...
2. brands affiliated persons are starting OP's smear campaign, e.g. are you a beginner, did you leave the gear under the sun light or wind, do you rinse the gear with fresh water and so on..
3. after all of that brands affiliated persons are starting "turbo promotion" campaign, e.g. the gear looks sick, i'm stoked, i was traveling with this gear all around the world and there is not better gear and so on, and so on...

the reason this protocol has not been "activated" yet is that FredBGG did not name the flawed board brands name.
but hey, i'll through you a bone :D
i searched the web about race board with visible bamboo deck and i only found north free race board and naish venturi race board...

hmm... tautologies has the second post, wonder why...
Lol you are too funny. Yes there is a big conspiracy.

I have no idea what board we are talking about. I think there has been examples from a lot of companies with fin issues. If this is a Naish board then it sucks if there is an error. Why would you suggest anyone is trying to discredit Fred? I just tried to be encouraging because I like racboarding. One thing you are missing is that most of us do kiteboarding to get away from negativity, obviously not super easy when you are around eree.

Just from Fred's explanation I don't actually think it is a naish board since he talks about a single screw, and Naish used 2. They have also not produced a raceboard for about 2 years.

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:51 am

I love all kiteboarding companies because without them, I wouldnt be able to kite. :lol:

FredBGG
Very Frequent Poster

Postby FredBGG » Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:35 am

SupaEZ wrote:
FredBGG wrote: Measured them and they are all 3 the same. Each fin box wobbles a different amount.

Did you use a precision caliper (1/10mm accuracy) for the fins base thicknesses measurements ?

Did you measure front to back of fin bases for thickness variations with caliper ?

Do the fin boxes themselves have some play and move from side to side in the board ?

You feel /see wobble while on the water or when you move the fins from side to side on land ?
My neighbor measured them with me using a precision instrument. He is an engineer and worked on the Mars Rover. Enough said.

The boxes do not move around in the board.

Fins chattered at high speed.

Fins visibly wobbled out of the water with no load.

All three fin boxes measured differently.

Just crappy workmanship..... hey but the graphics and logo are printed very very well. Go figure.
Pretty clear that appearances count more than substance.

14ToeSide
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Sandy Spit
Gear: North, Ozone, Naish, Flysurfer
Brand Affiliation: What ever works Best that year

Postby 14ToeSide » Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:13 am

Perception is Reality!! That's what they tell us.

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:13 am

SpaceRacer wrote:I hear you. Bought an Airush Sector. First time out, thruster fin fell out. Lost. Gone. Reached out to Airush. .....
Why did your fin fall out? Didn't you tighten the screws enough?

I luuuuurve my Sector. I can't really fault it, except for the dinky foot strap adjuster pull loops. They're crap but I don't use them so I don't care.

wedge
Frequent Poster

Postby wedge » Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:45 am

I know there is a story on here saying otherwise, but I can't believe how good Dimitri's customer service is for Epic.
+1 for Epic and Dimitri. I had a question about my Q.R. and Dimitri personally emailed me the very next day with an answer and a video to specifically address my question. Plus he gave me a $$ discount on my next purchase.

How many of you can talk directly to the owner, let me repeat, the OWNER of your kite brand? He also happens to be a great rider, joyful ambassador for the sport, and family man. I really like the gear too. My 13 Renegade pulls like my old 15 Wainman.

I agree with Fred, most companies seem to be selling "lifestyle" rather than good reliable gear. If I want "lifestyle" I'll go to Hollister and buy a shirt...

Okinawa Kiter
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mibaru Okinawa Japan
Favorite Beaches: Mibaru Okinawa Japan
Miyako
Style: Free Ride
Gear: Flysurfer Speed 3 12m
Been thanked: 0

Postby Okinawa Kiter » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:36 am

wedge wrote:
I know there is a story on here saying otherwise, but I can't believe how good Dimitri's customer service is for Epic.
+1 for Epic and Dimitri. I had a question about my Q.R. and Dimitri personally emailed me the very next day with an answer and a video to specifically address my question. Plus he gave me a $$ discount on my next purchase.

How many of you can talk directly to the owner, let me repeat, the OWNER of your kite brand? He also happens to be a great rider, joyful ambassador for the sport, and family man. I really like the gear too. My 13 Renegade pulls like my old 15 Wainman.

I agree with Fred, most companies seem to be selling "lifestyle" rather than good reliable gear. If I want "lifestyle" I'll go to Hollister and buy a shirt...
Ya but had 3 Epic kites have all the valves come off every one of them. Was a royal pain and lost 3 good days of kiting plus a couple hundred bucks on valves. After one year old though. Agree his service is probably the best out there though.

Return to “Kitesurfing”