FredBGG
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Why are kite companies such crap???

Postby FredBGG » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:32 pm

SupaEZ wrote:
FredBGG wrote: I was wondering when some fan boy would bring this up

I speak 4 languages. One thing I have learned is that sometimes profanity is the catalyst to getting things done. That said I rarely use it.
:nono: you edited "fan boy"...that was the best EVER part of your reply :thumb: so i put it back in

You speak more than 4 languages :wink: .......the 5th one on special occasions

Would you agree that your first post sounded biscuit arsed...
.......and that you came across mad as a bag of ferrets :lol:
Thanks for the correction..... fanboy is probably appropriate.

Bisquit Arsed? If I an not mistaken that is Scottish slang for being drunk.
Nah was not drunk.... don't drink...

Did I come across as pissed off. Well how about that. Board that costs over $ 1,000 new and fins are all wobbly due to poor construction, but money and time is wasted on graphics etc etc...

That is my point.

Drew22
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Tpa
Been thanked: 0

Postby Drew22 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:29 pm

Okinawa Kiter wrote:
wedge wrote:
I know there is a story on here saying otherwise, but I can't believe how good Dimitri's customer service is for Epic.
+1 for Epic and Dimitri. I had a question about my Q.R. and Dimitri personally emailed me the very next day with an answer and a video to specifically address my question. Plus he gave me a $$ discount on my next purchase.

How many of you can talk directly to the owner, let me repeat, the OWNER of your kite brand? He also happens to be a great rider, joyful ambassador for the sport, and family man. I really like the gear too. My 13 Renegade pulls like my old 15 Wainman.

I agree with Fred, most companies seem to be selling "lifestyle" rather than good reliable gear. If I want "lifestyle" I'll go to Hollister and buy a shirt...
Ya but had 3 Epic kites have all the valves come off every one of them. Was a royal pain and lost 3 good days of kiting plus a couple hundred bucks on valves. After one year old though. Agree his service is probably the best out there though.
I haven't known anyone personally that has owned an Epic kite that valves did not fall off of. I let anyone that has an Epic know, after the first valve comes off, just glue a small bead around every single valve with aqua seal or 3m 5200. It is a big PIA but its the only way not to lose even more water time.

wedge
Frequent Poster

Postby wedge » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:45 pm

Drew22 wrote:I haven't known anyone personally that has owned an Epic kite that valves did not fall off of. I let anyone that has an Epic know, after the first valve comes off, just glue a small bead around every single valve with aqua seal or 3m 5200. It is a big PIA but its the only way not to lose even more water time.
Weird that I've owned a lot of different brands over the years, and read this complaint about many different brands over the years, but no one I know has actually had it happen. Maybe I'm in a more temperate climate? But I've kite-traveled to some stinkin' hot places and never had the issue, including my Epics. Just lucky I guess...

But thanks for the heads-up Drew. If I ever lose a valve I'll give it a shot.

FredBGG
Very Frequent Poster

Postby FredBGG » Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:27 pm

Rode the board yesterday.

The shape is great. Efficient and far more comfortable than most race boards.
Probably the highest speed performance, but great speed/comfort compromise.

But the fins are a problem. I only had time to setup two of the fins with my vacuum bagging tape + tether installation. They were just fine. However the tail fin that was still installed with factory method vibrated itself lose. The vibration was enough to wobble the screw more than half way out.

Could have lost the fin.

I'm also going to have to come up with another fin installation method for traveling as the vacuum tape method just takes too long to install and remove.

On another note I bought a Naish Fish from 2010. Has a 4 fin setup. Despite being a 2010 board the fins have a really high precision fit. Slide in quite easily and even without any screws there is no wobbling at all. Also the straps on the little Naish Fish have the longest adjustment range I have ever seen on dual entry foot straps.

chemosavi
Very Frequent Poster
Style: If Ghengis Kan, I kan too!
Gear: Grass fed Carbon Fiber
Brand Affiliation: Peace in the Middle East

Postby chemosavi » Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:20 am

I know you're not big on irony, Fred, but your occupation of feeding the media monster ain't too far from the jist of your bitch about graphics on kiteboards, if you think about it.

Ironies abound! Awesome, if you ask me.

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: I travel all over the world.
Favorite Beaches: So many to list....
Style: MY OWN STYLE :-)
Gear: SCREAMER 7/9/12/14 for Free Style. Not to forget the SCREAMER 10 LTD for my one go kite.
SURF 8 & 12 for the waves. RENEGADE 6.5 and 9 for all around kiting. And some times I use my son's JUNIOR PRO 4 when it blows 45+ for the waves.
Just try the EPICKITES and you will see for yourself.
Brand Affiliation: Owner of EPIC KITES

Postby Dimitri M » Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:09 am

Hi guys,
My name is Dimitri Maramenides owner of EPIC Kites and the reason I am replying to this thread is because we do care about our customers and about our product. And this is the reason why I try to do the best I can to help any one who has an issue. And this doesn't mean an issue with just an EPIC product but any product from any kite company and believe me we have had few kiters having valve issues or other issues from other kite company and needed to be helped so they can go back in the water. The truth is that no company out there is perfect. And that is why I am always here to help and do the best I can to make sure you are taken care of in case something happens because in every business you will have a 2.3% margin of error especially from the factory the products are made.
We take great care in the development and testing of our products. One of our paramount goals is to provide something that is well built, with amazing performance and use high quality materials which is intended to last and function extremely well for a long period of time.
But the challenge is that the manufacturing process where all are products are made can be very difficult to control 100% of the time. We do rely on our skilled partners overseas, but despite best intentions there is always a margin of error for every company out there. And when an error happens we at EPIC kites are here to cover it and help our customer the best way we can to get them back in the water.
Any way, I would like to thank some of you for the kind comments on our customer service. It's something we work very hard at, just as you work very hard to purchase your gear. We are appreciative of our customers and understand that without them, we would not exist.

P.S. By the way this an example from a kiter who owns another kite company.
So Mr.Drew22 I will let him know about the Aqua Seal or 3m 5200 glue you are using so he can fix his valves problem from another kite company that he has.
Poster: pmaggie
Ok guys, I'm sorry for all the Epic detractors but my first contact with Dimitri's world was fantastic. I was in Kos, a valve of a bladder delaminated and I was looking for someone to repair it. I asked on the beach and I got in touch with Nikos Kalaitzian. Nik is the manager of a very nice Epic kite center in Psalidi, probably the best spot in Kos. Nik not only repaired my kite in a day (and it was not an Epic kite), but also gave me a lot of useful informations about Kos and kiting in general. During my travels (and I travelled a lot!) I rarely met such a friendly and professional guy. I really had the impression of talking with an old friend. He explained me the Epic "way of life", the care for the customer and I eventually had the chanche to see an Epic kite with my eyes. I liked the kite but most of all I liked the way Nik works. Maybe someone did not have a good experience with Epic, my one was a fantastic one, a really Epic service! Thanks a lot Nik and see you next time!
Attachments
DSC_0026 3.jpg
DSC_0010 1.jpg
DSC_0014 2.jpg

zfennell
Very Frequent Poster

Postby zfennell » Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:10 pm

well,
the whining was fun.
.....personal endorcements, not so much.

but even most hard-core, 'dyed in the wool' champions of the consumer would first seek compensation from the vendor/shop owner to rectify the matter.

go back to the shop you bought it from and ask them to correct it.
50/50 they will make it right.

i'm assuming the boxes are intalled correctly. i.e. flush, square and pointing in the right direction.
?

no doubt, all fin boxes including yours, are injection molded.
good, fast, cheap. but the part to part tolerancing is never enough to get a good fit .
i'm sure any technician with moderate skills would deliver an good fitting assembly.
at this point, bitching to us and doing your own fit does not sound particulary effective.

worst case, the over-priced board you purchased needs only $20 worth of labor to meet your expectations.
if the shop or manufacturer is not helpful, by all means come back and trash them some more.

so far, your complaint sounds logical.
-you've done your 'due diligence' by confirming the fins wobble.
-you've been unsuccessful in fixing the problem yourself.
-you've observed that wobbly fins will potentially cause you to lose a fin ( or worse, damage the box, the laminate and create internal leaks)
if you continue to use your new stick in its defective condition, while knowing the potential concequences, who is really at fault?
Board that costs over $ 1,000 new and fins are all wobbly due to poor construction, but money and time is wasted on graphics etc etc...
any chance that the board was not purchased 'new' by you?
that would change things some.

just sayin'

KWK
Rare Poster
Gear: Brokite Boards, Slingshot Rallys

Postby KWK » Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:09 am

This video explains how the big kite companies stamp out their boards. You can't blame them, they are trying to run a successful business.

So you can get a board stamped out in a factory in Asia or a custom board by a company like Brokite where the board is built the right way by the owners of the company who care about quality and performance for about the same price.

FredBGG
Very Frequent Poster

Postby FredBGG » Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:16 am

Lets get one thing clear.

All this talk about boards made in China, South Asia etc etc.

It's a short coming of some kite companies if the quality is bad.

I'm a photographer and I use some absolutely brilliant equipment made in Japan, China and South Asia.The quality from these nations is outstanding. I wish my made in Sweden and Denmark cameras that cost 10 times as much would come close to the reliability, stability and flexibility of my "Asian" gear.

FredBGG
Very Frequent Poster

Postby FredBGG » Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:19 am

chemosavi wrote:....
I know you're not big on irony, Fred, but your occupation of feeding the media monster ain't too far from the jist of your bitch about graphics on kiteboards, if you think about it.

Ironies abound! Awesome, if you ask me.
Really.... feeding the media monster??

What type of work do you think I do?

Apart from that I have no problem with a company marketing itself well if the product stands up to the constructed image and claims made are accurate. Very simple.

To many kite companies blab on and on about technology and then cant get a stupid fin to fin box sizing right. Pathetic.

Return to “Kitesurfing”