Favorite Beaches: Tarifa, Lefkada, Capo Mannu, Naxos, Tuscany,
Gear: North
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

North Neo VS Evo

Postby gvironda » Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:28 pm

Guys, I am thinking to sell my Evos 2014 (12, 9, 7) and buy the Neos 2014
I am attracted by the 3 strut simplicity and better drift, even if I will loose some jumping abilities
Do you recommend I take 1 size below the Evos, or is it pretty much the same?

What is the top end of the Neo 7m? I am 70kg, and looking for a kite that can handle well 30-35knots (with the 7 Evo I am perfectly fine in this conditions)
Thanks for the help

igoryak
Medium Poster

Re: North Neo VS Evo

Postby igoryak » Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:59 pm

Ill also would like to know if someone compared 2014 vs 2015 Neo and its hooked-in jumping abilities :)

NorCalNomad
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: San Francisco
Gear: Why should it matter?

Postby NorCalNomad » Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:48 pm

These are two VERY different kites.

Evo: Freestyle, freeride, and big air. Does not drift anything like the Neo. Unless you're surfing you don't really need drift-ability. It's a lot like the rebel but with more emphasis on freestyle.
Neo: Pure surf kite which means that drifting and being able to completely depower and steer the kite are the key things. You are looking at a kite that won't getanywhere close to the Evo in terms of jumping, it's probably the kite with the worst jumping ability of North's line up.

gvironda
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Torbole, Garda Lake
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa, Lefkada, Capo Mannu, Naxos, Tuscany,
Gear: North

Postby gvironda » Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:04 am

I thought the same, but I don't get why there are so many good reviews on the mag about the jumping abilities of the neo. Looks better than the dice in terms of hang time!

Mo
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: The KiteHouse _ North Marina _ Liban Nord
Favorite Beaches: Langebaan, Ras Sudr
Style: Freestyle
Gear: DTK Mono 2020 15m, 2020 Mono 11m, 2022 Rebel SLS 12m, 2022 Rebel SLS 10m, 2021 Neo SLS 9m, 2020 Dice 9m, 2022 Dice 8m, 2022 Dice 7m, 2022 Neo SLS 5m
Brand Affiliation: Duotone

Postby Mo » Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:40 pm

NorCalNomad wrote:These are two VERY different kites.

Evo: Freestyle, freeride, and big air. Does not drift anything like the Neo. Unless you're surfing you don't really need drift-ability. It's a lot like the rebel but with more emphasis on freestyle.
Neo: Pure surf kite which means that drifting and being able to completely depower and steer the kite are the key things. You are looking at a kite that won't getanywhere close to the Evo in terms of jumping, it's probably the kite with the worst jumping ability of North's line up.
I have tried the NEO 2015 in 11m. The kite is super quick and jumps better than Vegas2015-Dice2014. I had my best jumps on the kite. Getting Neos in 7m-11m.

MO

NorCalNomad
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: San Francisco
Gear: Why should it matter?

Postby NorCalNomad » Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:27 pm

That's because it's a hybrid/bow style kite and hybrids/bows normally give you more lift than C kites anyways. The reason why pkra freestyles and wake style guys use C kites is because of how you can load up and pop and have the lines slack. Not for how much lift they create.

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:29 am

I'd say the neos jumping ability is easier to access. The dice and Vegas will go bigger given a better C kite technique.

Return to “Kitesurfing”