Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Extreme itch due to wetsuit? Fresh water? red dry blotches..

Forum for kitesurfers
edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Re: Extreme itch due to wetsuit? Fresh water? red dry blotch

Postby edt » Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:58 pm

lake Huron is 50f ain't swimmers itch

marlboroughman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Oldschool
Gear: Naish
Brand Affiliation: Make Kiting Great Again!

Postby marlboroughman » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:43 pm

Dave Whettingsteel wrote: Just dont wear the Lanolin if you come to regional Australia or New Zealand... the locals might get a bit excited about you!!
:lol: or the Greek Islands :o
Seriously though Lanolin is the best. Hard to get used to because it has a consistency of a honey but I figured out a way. It is best to put it on right after the shower so you lock in the moisture and it spreads better on warm skin then leave it on for 24 hrs. After that it just turns into clear gel and comes off with just water. If you try to wipe or rinse it early, it is a bit messy.

dragnfly
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Blackpool/ St Annes. New Brighton (UK)
Favorite Beaches: UK - Rhosneigr. New Brighton, Blackrock Sands.
Non UK - Dakhla.
Style: FS80% WS15% Strapless5%
Gear: Cabrinha FX 12,9 & SB 7m, Drifter 5m
Crazyfly Raptor ltd 136 2018 (best board ever!)
Slingshot Screamer
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby dragnfly » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:47 pm

Laughingman wrote:
dragnfly wrote:
and then......

I discovered 'Thermocline, which is a material used in some suits made by Fourth Element.
THERMOCLINE

I bought a long sleeved thermocline top which I wear under my wetsuit. It stops the itching about80%. I can kite for an hour with hardly any itching at all, and can easily do 3 hour sessions with only moderate itching by the end of it.

From the sound of it you'd need a long leg suit as well as the long arms like mine.

Its not perfect because it is another layer under your suit, making it all a bit thicker and less flexible, but you could probably get away with a slightly thinner suit to counteract that if you wanted.
Sadly, it is not cheap stuff. I bought 2 tops of Ebay, and its the best money I ever spent on kite kit! Good luck!

oh - and I wear a drysuit in winter, which means its not an issue at all.I'm almost looking forward to the frost and snow just so I can put that bad boy on again.
Wow, never heard of this before thanks for the tip.
Roughly how thick is this thermocline stuff, is it like wearing a rashgaurd thick or like wearing a sweater thick? I don't find the price all that offensive considering it might solve the problem!
Pete
pete - it's like a thick rash vest. No more than 1 or 3mm, and as far as I know, hypoallergenic. I'm allergic to tonnes of shit but so far thermocline is ok.

edt
Very Frequent Poster

Postby edt » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:16 pm

dragnfly wrote:pete - it's like a thick rash vest. No more than 1 or 3mm, and as far as I know, hypoallergenic. I'm allergic to tonnes of shit but so far thermocline is ok.
dragon don't forget the actual wetsuit he is wearing has a hypoallergenic fabric layer the Hyperflex amp he is using doesn't put naked skin against neoprene it is on this substance called AQ3 (made of secret proprietary chemicals so you can't find out what it is) just like the thermocline it is also a hypoallergenic fabric. There's a good chance both companies are using the same chemicals and no way to find out in advance what it is exactly that's causing the reaction.

Obviously when hyperflex chooses a material to line the wetsuit they are going to make it hypoallergenic, they aren't going to choose materials that normally cause reactions. The problem is, when you do have a reaction there's no way to figure out what's causing it because it's all trade secrets.

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:38 pm

edt wrote:
dragnfly wrote:pete - it's like a thick rash vest. No more than 1 or 3mm, and as far as I know, hypoallergenic. I'm allergic to tonnes of shit but so far thermocline is ok.
dragon don't forget the actual wetsuit he is wearing has a hypoallergenic fabric layer the Hyperflex amp he is using doesn't put naked skin against neoprene it is on this substance called AQ3 (made of secret proprietary chemicals so you can't find out what it is) just like the thermocline it is also a hypoallergenic fabric. There's a good chance both companies are using the same chemicals and no way to find out in advance what it is exactly that's causing the reaction.

Obviously when hyperflex chooses a material to line the wetsuit they are going to make it hypoallergenic, they aren't going to choose materials that normally cause reactions. The problem is, when you do have a reaction there's no way to figure out what's causing it because it's all trade secrets.
I don't know edt, there are a lot of products out there that are and are not made with hypoallergenic ingredients, for example you would think then when tide makes it detergent they would make it hypoallergenic but they don't, I have to spend the extra 2 dollars to get the hypoallergenic one (yes it makes a difference). It could be what Hyperflex uses is good for other reasons such as fast drying, warmth, comfort and is good for 90% of the people but the other 10% should have a liner?
On a side note:
I am surprised that Hyperflex suggested I return it and I am surprised that the online shop has offered a full refund for a suit I purchased back in May that I am allergic to...
Hyperflex has always been excellent to deal with but this seems to go above and beyond... and without question.... either way looks like I will have to figure out something quick as I will no longer have a good warm suit as of next week.
I'm temped to try the liner... I will wear my old suit on Saturday and see what happens.

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board

Postby Laughingman » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:50 pm

LavaCore and Thermocline both specifically refer to their materials as being hypoallergenic and they both specifically say their products have not been exposed to vulcanization...

Vulcanization (or vulcanisation) is a chemical process for converting natural rubber or related polymers into more durable materials via the addition of sulfur or other equivalent curatives or accelerators. These additives modify the polymer by forming cross-links (bridges) between individual polymer chains.

Wonder if that is what the problem is with the AC3 stuff? Makes me itch just reading it....

http://www.wetsuitwearhouse.com/page/WW/8733627

edt
Very Frequent Poster

Postby edt » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:09 pm

Laughingman wrote: I'm temped to try the liner... I will wear my old suit on Saturday and see what happens.
where u riding sat looks like a solid w. Mitchell's bay? I can't decide where I want to go yet.

William Munney
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: West Meadow, GSB
Gear: North X-Ride, Airush Sector 60, North Rebels, 6m, 7m, 9m, 12m, 16m
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby William Munney » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:31 pm

edt wrote:lake Huron is 50f ain't swimmers itch
Not with cold water, that comment was in response to sjjandy, I don't know where he kites.

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Laughingman » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:33 pm

edt wrote:
Laughingman wrote: I'm temped to try the liner... I will wear my old suit on Saturday and see what happens.
where u riding sat looks like a solid w. Mitchell's bay? I can't decide where I want to go yet.
Yep Probably Mitchell's bay unless it goes west early then we will be in Ipperwash

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Laughingman » Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:09 am

edt wrote:
ATM Rondeau is looking better if it stays SW. Otherwise Mitchell's bay or Ipperwash. Let me know if your coming around.

Return to “Kitesurfing”