Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

making a new control bar

Forum for kitesurfers
ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Re: making a new control bar

Postby ronnie » Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:05 pm

matthepp wrote:The simplicity of Greg's design is pretty inspiring. So much so that I'm trying to lighten up my alpine foil bar. Eliminating the trim strap seems obvious as I haven't touched it in years. Now I can tweak trim at few knots where the Y-line connects to the chicken loop line. Maybe even the chicken loop will be the next to go, but I do like a center flag line chickenloop with swivel. The only criticism I have of Greg's setup is that there is no redundancy to not lose the whole enchilada if you goof and pull lower red release. Dang, maybe I'll grind off the plastic bar ends too. Greg's line-wrapping system looks great.
You could tie a ring onto the centre of your spreader bar and reverse the bit below the existing ring. Makes it a push away too.

herbert
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Kailua
Style: directional
Gear: RRD
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby herbert » Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:43 am

matthepp wrote:The simplicity of Greg's design is pretty inspiring. So much so that I'm trying to lighten up my alpine foil bar. Eliminating the trim strap seems obvious as I haven't touched it in years. Now I can tweak trim at few knots where the Y-line connects to the chicken loop line. Maybe even the chicken loop will be the next to go, but I do like a center flag line chickenloop with swivel. The only criticism I have of Greg's setup is that there is no redundancy to not lose the whole enchilada if you goof and pull lower red release. Dang, maybe I'll grind off the plastic bar ends too. Greg's line-wrapping system looks great.

Hey Matt,
That single pull to "lose the whole enchilada" is a bit intimidating at first. But I have come to realize a couple of things. Most importantly...I haven't released it inadvertently yet. Also....you practice it every single time you hook up...so you know what is does and what the result will be quite instinctively. And, although I have unintentionally unhooked my chicken loop and unintentionally somehow made the chicken loop open up and release, with the BRM CS...never close to doing that. It really has to be intentional. And thus....since it really has to be intentional, it is nice there is no redundancy. So if you really need to release...now...because of a death loop into a jetty...well one release does it, not two. It is, after all, only a kite and not a life. So I think redundant ways to effect a totally release are good (I guess a knife would be such a redundancy), the way most systems work with redundancy (two actions needed) to prevent total release is not so attractive. With the CS, Push flag. Pull full release. It works so well.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:15 am

new control bar is finished, I don't use a swivel instead I drill out a 1 inch block of nylon for single line flagging, extra long 80cm bar throw, another 10cm of depower on the cleat, I made the chicken loop bigger for unhooked riding, short spacer, stainless steel ring around chicken loop for half suicide style rigging and the lock & load QR that I like, and a double thickness flag out line so it doesn't wear out. Why use a donkey dick if I'm unhooking because I like it that way, that's all that matters.

Everything is exactly the way I like it. This is what making your own control bar is all about.

thanks terse!

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Sat Nov 15, 2014 2:06 am

edt wrote:Image

new control bar is finished, I don't use a swivel instead I drill out a 1 inch block of nylon for single line flagging, extra long 80cm bar throw, another 10cm of depower on the cleat, I made the chicken loop bigger for unhooked riding, short spacer, stainless steel ring around chicken loop for half suicide style rigging and the lock & load QR that I like, and a double thickness flag out line so it doesn't wear out. Why use a donkey dick if I'm unhooking because I like it that way, that's all that matters.

Everything is exactly the way I like it. This is what making your own control bar is all about.

thanks terse!
Nice!

eabmoto
Rare Poster
Gear: BWS kites

Postby eabmoto » Sun Nov 16, 2014 5:05 pm

I've been happy with this for a while now. I've had the flag line arranged for a leash. Now I'm trying the system that Board Riding Maui uses.
Bar-1.jpg

t3rse
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Folly
Gear: RRD Obsession/Core XR/Cab FX

Postby t3rse » Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:45 pm

edt wrote:Everything is exactly the way I like it. This is what making your own control bar is all about.

thanks terse!
I'm glad it worked for you.

darippah
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Weight: 165
Local Beach: New Jersey, USA
Style: Hydrofoil big air
Gear: Sonic 3 13m , Soul 7 and 10m

Postby darippah » Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:11 pm

eabmoto wrote:I've been happy with this for a while now. I've had the flag line arranged for a leash. Now I'm trying the system that Board Riding Maui uses.
Bar-1.jpg
Love it. What did you use to make the bar?

eabmoto
Rare Poster
Gear: BWS kites

Postby eabmoto » Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:22 pm

I used a rake handle made out of some type off hard wood. Finished it with a couple coats of rung oil. I'm going to make another one out of three pieces of wood laminated together, should be quit a bit stronger.

loco4viento
Very Frequent Poster

Postby loco4viento » Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:36 pm

@eabmoto,

Where did you find the pin that you used for your release? I don't know how to buy one because I don't know what they're called.

t3rse
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Folly
Gear: RRD Obsession/Core XR/Cab FX

Postby t3rse » Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:12 pm

Are those single over hand knots on the leaders? Looks like Amsteel...I've read using an over hand stopper knot on Amsteel is risky.

Return to “Kitesurfing”