Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

6 months in El Gouna? Need help... please!

Forum for kitesurfers
miz_valentine
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

6 months in El Gouna? Need help... please!

Postby miz_valentine » Sat Nov 08, 2014 2:27 pm

Hi,

I am going away next year for 6 months, to do a season kiting somewhere warmer than Europe. I am looking at El Gouna although I've never been, and could do with any advice or information from anyone who has been, preferably for a period of time or who lives there.

The main thing I want to know is, is it possible to access the kite beach without paying at one of the stations for equipment storage? As I am looking at going for a period of time and there are 2 of us kiting, it appears that the use of facility charge is going to be very expensive. As an experienced kiter, do you need a rescue boat in an onshore wind? Does the wind suddenly stop or something?

I also want to know if it would be easy to keep my kite at home and get to the stations easily from Abu Tig Marina?

The other really important thing, is what is the wind like? Is it only in the morning or can it stay all day? What kite size is normally used? I have 8, 10 and 12....

If there is anyone reading who is living or working there, I would really REALLY (its worth beer :D ) appreciate a bit of help and advice. If you are a kind soul who can tell me about life in El Gouna you would be a bit of a life saver to me... PM me!!

Equally, if you've been there for a week and would be kind enough to tell me about it, Im interested to hear.

Cheers people, good wind n all that :bye:

jedi1
Frequent Poster

Re: 6 months in El Gouna? Need help... PLEASE!

Postby jedi1 » Sat Nov 08, 2014 3:55 pm

I stayed there for a month.

I don't think there is a place where you can kite without paying. There are 3 kite schools at the northern part of El Gouna, you probably will figure a good price for 6 months of storage and rescue (I stayed at RSZ and recommend it). There is one also in Movenpick hotel, but it is in a wind shade because of artificial islands.

When there is wind in the forecast it is quite consistent and doesn't suddenly stop, but it doesn't really blow offshore. I've heard that during the winter it is cross-off, but during spring it was always side-shore. If there is no wind in the forecast then there is a chance of some kiting in the early morning.

From Abu Tig Marina it is around 15 min walk to mangroovy beach, where you kite.

During my month stay I mostly used the 11 at 70 kg, a 9 about 20% time and one or two sessions on a 7, but still would be good on a 9. There were some days where I wished for a 13 though, but 12, 10 and 8 should get you covered.

miz_valentine
Rare Poster

Re: 6 months in El Gouna? Need help... please!

Postby miz_valentine » Sat Nov 08, 2014 4:19 pm

Thank you for your reply!

All very helpful, thanks, I've been looking at RSZ and Im waiting for a price from them, I'll update this post for anyone else who might be looking for the info.

Does the wind stay all day if its on the forecast then? Or do you normally have to kite just in the morning? What time of year did you go? Again, thanks for bothering to reply, its really appreciated.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Sat Nov 08, 2014 4:26 pm

get in touch with the centers before and ask for a price for the whole period...they will make a good offer for sure.
Better to have all the service like storage, shower, compressor, rescue, launch helper etc.
I don't think you can go alone without paying anything anywhere.

I guess El Gouna is the best place to stay if you want to stay longer.
More things going on there.

Wind can be anything! Bring all kite sizes!

jedi1
Frequent Poster

Postby jedi1 » Sat Nov 08, 2014 5:01 pm

miz_valentine wrote:Thank you for your reply!

All very helpful, thanks, I've been looking at RSZ and Im waiting for a price from them, I'll update this post for anyone else who might be looking for the info.

Does the wind stay all day if its on the forecast then? Or do you normally have to kite just in the morning? What time of year did you go? Again, thanks for bothering to reply, its really appreciated.
The wind will be there all day if it is in the forecast, if there is none though, there still might be some in early morning. I was there in April.

JGTR
Very Frequent Poster

Postby JGTR » Sat Nov 08, 2014 5:29 pm

Definitely pay to use the kite centre, that's one of the best bits of a kiting holiday, getting to meet new people, hang out at the centre, all your gear is in one place and if you tip well then the lads will usually sort all your gear out for you :D

windeze
Rare Poster
Favorite Beaches: mangroovy
Style: lawnmower
Gear: 8 and 11 sblade.14.5 flite
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby windeze » Sun Nov 09, 2014 4:16 pm

Ive spent a fair bit of time there between November and April-probably the less windy season but still manage to get out half the time. If you go in the winter take an 8 11 and 15 and you are covered for most winds .Sometimes it blows all day and sometimes youll need to be up early and on the water by 8 to make the most of the less windy spells as the wind seems better early and late.
I use the red sea zone but get a quote from kitepower and buzzah beach as well.
Im really not sure about unpaid kiting but I don't think its allowed but have seen some folks doing it-ie launching from non kite areas.
As has been said already youll be better off being part of a centre,youll get launch and landing,wi fi toilets compressor and maybe some friends.
I could think of worse places to spend 6 months.As Egypt goes its very civilised,safe,organisedplenty of places to eat out,well stocked supermarkets,modern hospital,great transport system-tuc tuc anywhere in tow for 5 le.
Cable park for no wind days if that's your thing.Cinema
The list is endless.

Jdude
Medium Poster
Style: newschool
Gear: Xenon + Slingshot

Postby Jdude » Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:48 pm

Why El gouna ? anything specific ?
there are other places like Madagascar, Brasil, canary islands, morocco etc. that you can enjoy not only the kiting scene. 6 month is a loooong time.

miz_valentine
Rare Poster

Postby miz_valentine » Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:38 pm

windeze wrote: I could think of worse places to spend 6 months.As Egypt goes its very civilised,safe,organisedplenty of places to eat out,well stocked supermarkets,modern hospital,great transport system-tuc tuc anywhere in tow for 5 le.
Cable park for no wind days if that's your thing.Cinema
The list is endless.
I'm looking at El Gouna for all the above reasons... the cable park is massive draw. Thanks windeze for confirming these things for me! I've travelled a fair bit and don't really want to spend a long time in somewhere that is difficult to live as I've done it already. There are also major issues getting visa's for any country for longer than 90 days, so that's a consideration. Morocco - don't fancy it as only Dakhla appeals to me and there's nothing there, Canary Islands- maybe in the future when I'm sick of having to move coz of visa's, etc etc! I want to go out of Europe for a while, I have a "gap year" or two available to me, so I want to fly a little!

I am also considering a couple of other places but so far El Gouna is looking good to me. I will add another post for info on Mauritius which is my number 2 at the minute!

Thanks for your advice from the people who have been to El Gouna, you've been massively helpful to me.

Return to “Kitesurfing”