Favorite Beaches: Tarpon Springs
Style: Jumping, easy tricks , TT, hooked in
Gear: 2012 LF envy, crazyfly 132, cabrinha stylus 145
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Which one?

Postby FLAkiter » Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:53 am

I'm stuck between the Ocean Rodeo heat or soul. My concern is the pee zip. It seems that some guys can't live without it because getting the suit on and off is task. Is this because they previously wore suits with the back zip? After a lot of reading I can't seem to find anybody with a OR Heat that says how tough it is. If the "captive zip" system makes getting in and out of the suit very easy, how much is the pee zipper worth? Could you just unzip and lower the suit?

I'm pretty well decided on ankle seals over socks but if anyone has a point to prove feel free.

MACTNKA
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Nantucket
Favorite Beaches: Madaket harbor, south shore, jetties
Style: Freestyle
Gear: Core, xennon

Re: Which one?

Postby MACTNKA » Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:00 pm

Hey FLA kiter, does Fla stand for Florida? Cause if it does you don't need a drysuit!? Anyhow there was just a thread discussing your concerns in great length and what I've gathered out of it, that I'd believed all along, is that you don't need the socks and if you feel like it you could have them added at any time. I was also considering adding dry gloves to mine and called a dive shop that clarified to me that just using dry gloves with gaskets is the way to go! I ordered my Atlas 460 with gaskets made and have never been happier in the winter! Figure out what you want from your sessions and weigh the benefits! The more you consider your own enviroment the better answers you'll get to your questions! Have fun!

FLAkiter
Rare Poster
Local Beach: St. Augustine, Tarpon Springs, Tampa

Postby FLAkiter » Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:39 pm

Thanks Mac, I do live in Florida but have several sports where a drysuit would come in handy and plan to travel north for some kiting. My main concern was the Heat vs Soul and how hard it is to drop the suit to take a pee. I knew I should of left the socks or booties line out , I read plenty about it including the post that's still fresh on the first page.

knot_moving
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Gear: kites: OR Flites & Cabrinha Velocity
Underground FLX 138, Slingshot foil, Mako Duke, Jimmy Lewis Flight Deck

Postby knot_moving » Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:44 pm

Hey FLAkiter - not sure where you are in FL but i was unsure beyween these 2 & XLKites had a good enough price on soul that it made decision easy! Might give them a call if you are not yo far from them

SENDIT!
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Okaloosa Island
Favorite Beaches: In no particular order; Kailua Beach, Oahu; Lake Nitinaht, BC; OBX
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Flite 17 Aluula, North Reach 12, Ocean Rodeo Rise 10, Reach 9, Prodigy 7, Litewave Carbon Wing 165, Ocean Rodeo Mako 150, Poptart 139, Litewave Carbon Kick S 139, North Scoop/Sonar Surf Foil
Brand Affiliation: Mojo Actionsports

Postby SENDIT! » Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:35 pm

MACTNKA wrote:Hey FLA kiter, does Fla stand for Florida? Cause if it does you don't need a drysuit!?
I damn sure wish that you were right about that, however, this morning it was 33 F and the wind was blowing 20. That is possible with a wetsuit, but it makes for a very short session. :wink:

As for the OP's original question:

The Relief Zip is a little nicer (imho) b/c you don't have to take the neck gasket back over your head before pulling your suit part way down to take a leak, then pull it back over your head again and re-zip up. The T-Zip works super easy on both the Heat and Soul, much easier than the Kokatats that I've used, so that's not really part of the equation.

There are a couple of other small things to consider, though they may not matter to you:

1)The Heat doesn't come with a Neoprene lined hood; the Soul does.
2)The Heat doesn't come with jacket pockets; the Soul does.

I personally don't use the hood while I'm riding, but it's nice to use when I'm standing around during lessons. Same for the jacket pockets...they also help keep your hands warm while you're on the beach listening to your buddy tell you how high he went! :wink:

There are some other differences that are easy to see here:
http://www.oceanrodeo.com/products/heat#prod_compare

I find the relief zip a must-have for me, but you may not. Good luck!

Do-it
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: North and Ocean Rodeo

Postby Do-it » Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:23 pm

FLAkiter wrote:Hey FLA kiter, does Fla stand for Florida? Cause if it does you don't need a drysuit!?
Mac- Us Florida crackers are pussies when it comes to the cold......I'll be the first to admit it. Plus I really hate the constrictive feeling of a wetsuit. The only plus side of a wetsuit is that you can piss in it and don't have to take a break.

FLA- yes to socks and pee zip

FLAkiter
Rare Poster
Local Beach: St. Augustine, Tarpon Springs, Tampa

Postby FLAkiter » Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:19 am

Thanks guys I got the info I needed from these replies, especially from SENDIT! , I appreciate the details.
It didn't look like the Heat came in the brighter colors and I was liking the orange , so soul with pee zip it is.

robinsonpr
Rare Poster
Gear: Rev 1.5 Quad Stunt kites
Airush 3m Trainer
PL Pepper 1.5m
PL Twister III 3m
Flysurfer Peak 6m, 12m
PL Venom 13m
PL Synergy 15m
Kheo Flyer Landboard
PL Comp XR Buggy
PTW Superbug II
Slingshot Rally 7m, 9m, 12m
Nobile NHP
Nobile XTR
Ocean Rodeo Mako Duke

Postby robinsonpr » Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:21 pm

FLA I'm in the same boat. Heat or Soul. 200GBP extra for pee zip and pockets? But like you I fancy the Orange!

Did you pull the pin on the Soul? How are you finding it!?

alexrider
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: foils and foils

Postby alexrider » Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:56 am

"Which one?" is not a topic. There is enough space in the title box to write what you want to write about. Even in your post most of us don't know what you're talking about. Heat or soul, if you are referring to wet suits, guys riding in the tropics don't give a hoot. You're wasting broadband. Thanks for understanding.

Return to “Kitesurfing”