knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: RRD Cotan vs Firewire Vanguard

Postby knotwindy » Mon Dec 01, 2014 2:03 am

i'm 5'8" and about 160 and i have ridden the 5, 5'2 and 5'4. The 5,4 is definitely too big for me. The 5" is better as far as the volume goes but the 5"2 is just magical. I do not know if the shape is different or what but it rides better than the 5" to me by a lot. Maybe just the size but it does not feel like the same board to me. The 5'2 will do amazing things in anything less that 1 1/2 times overhead whether under-over or powered right. Great board, best board i have ever had the chance to ride. Just my opinion, YMMV.

jespin4845
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Worth, FL
Jupiter, FL
Style: Freeride/surf
Gear: kites and boards

Postby jespin4845 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:09 am

195 lbs here, 5'6" is perfect for me, i do stomp on it more than a regular kite surfboard which is what i want, awesome wave catcher

RomanC
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Redondo
Favorite Beaches: Port Hueneme, C-Street
Style: twintip
Gear: cabrinha
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby RomanC » Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:25 pm

Has anybody tried regular surfing on a kitesurfing vanguard board? I picked up a 5.0, and I was thinking of maybe trying it out as a regular surfboard while waiting for the winds to pick up.

Edit: Forgot to say that I am 145 lbs

robg
Medium Poster
Local Beach: VB VA

Postby robg » Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:07 pm

Romanc,

I am 5'7 145lb and have ridden the 5'2 Vanguard kite version a few times in good waves. It caught waves good and was great to surf on but was hard to paddle around the lineup. It is obviously much heavier and stiffer than you would want in a surfboard but I still had fun with it. I have since bought the 5'3 in surf construction and it is the best surfboard i have ever ridden.

You will struggle a bit paddling the 5'0 but it should be fun once you get up on a wave. If you surf at all on a regular basis do youself a favor and buy a slightly bigger Vanguard in surf construction.

FredBGG
Very Frequent Poster

Postby FredBGG » Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:17 pm

iblocalsurfer wrote:You really should demo one yourself Fred, you might be surprised.
I have. Felt almost very similar to the gorge animal custom I had about 8/9 years ago.
Planes relatively early for my size 6'4" 225 lbs but pearls and felt "slappy" in chop, rides like shit with your weight forward and IMO not efficient upwind against chop. Front lower rail snags all the time unless you put your weight back and then it starts to plow and slow you down.

FredBGG
Very Frequent Poster

Postby FredBGG » Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:35 pm

iblocalsurfer wrote:How much R and D do you really think RRD, Slingshot, Naish, and North put into their surfboard designs?
RRD has been making boards for 27 years, I think they know what they are doing.
Naish pretty much the same an won Olympics. They know what they are doing....

RomanC
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Redondo
Favorite Beaches: Port Hueneme, C-Street
Style: twintip
Gear: cabrinha

Postby RomanC » Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:47 pm

robg wrote:Romanc,

I am 5'7 145lb and have ridden the 5'2 Vanguard kite version a few times in good waves. It caught waves good and was great to surf on but was hard to paddle around the lineup. It is obviously much heavier and stiffer than you would want in a surfboard but I still had fun with it. I have since bought the 5'3 in surf construction and it is the best surfboard i have ever ridden.

You will struggle a bit paddling the 5'0 but it should be fun once you get up on a wave. If you surf at all on a regular basis do youself a favor and buy a slightly bigger Vanguard in surf construction.
Thanks. I figured that it was pretty heavy when I compared it to my 5'9'' Coleta PU surf construction board. I guess I will wait for the winds to pick up then :)

jkrug
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 200 lbs
Gear: stuff

Postby jkrug » Thu Dec 25, 2014 2:08 pm

FredBGG wrote:
iblocalsurfer wrote:You really should demo one yourself Fred, you might be surprised.
I have. Felt almost very similar to the gorge animal custom I had about 8/9 years ago.
Planes relatively early for my size 6'4" 225 lbs but pearls and felt "slappy" in chop, rides like shit with your weight forward and IMO not efficient upwind against chop. Front lower rail snags all the time unless you put your weight back and then it starts to plow and slow you down.
i took the 5-2 Vanguard out last week, and was amazed how nice this board was. didn't notice any of the negative things you mentioned here. felt like a normal surfboard under foot although it's about 5 to 10 inches shorter than what i normally use. was exceptionally fast, goes upwind like no other, and handled chop with ease. if i didn't just get a new kite surfboard, i'd order one in a second. btw, i'm a bit smaller at 6'3" 205 lbs, and i've tried all of them except the 5'4". the 5-6 was definitely too big, the 5-0 a bit too small. the 5-2 seemed perfect. maybe you were on the wrong size or maybe you just don't like it...nothing wrong with that.

rogerkite
Rare Poster
Local Beach: South Brittany
Favorite Beaches: Near Quiberon'beaches
Style: Just between Peak & Rocks !

Postby rogerkite » Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:01 pm

Hi,

I'm riding the COTAN 5'4 and I very enjoy it, in all conditons.
It's an easy riding board, that can be pushed to radical surf. Planning comes quickly and speed on the wave is quite good (with quad setting, for more speed perhaps thruster setting could be better).

I'm not able to compare with the Vanguard but for sure the shape seems quite similar, the COTAN RRD has also the channel between the fin's.
Attachments
DSC07146 (Small).JPG
DSC07146 (Small).JPG (46.27 KiB) Viewed 2973 times
DSC07138 (Small).JPG
DSC07138 (Small).JPG (61.57 KiB) Viewed 2973 times
DSC07144 (Small).JPG
DSC07143 (Small).JPG
DSC07142 (Small).JPG
DSC07141 (Small).JPG
DSC07140 (Small).JPG

Onda
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: Baltic Sea / North Sea (Germany)
Favorite Beaches: Wijk aan Zee (NL)
Ouddorp (NL)
Norre Vorupor (DK)
Heiligenhafen (DE)
Style: strictly unstrapped, mainly foiling
Gear: Slingshot / Infexion / Alpine / F-One / CORE / Firewire / Duotone

Postby Onda » Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:58 pm

Hi Guys,
could you specify the fins you´re using with your Vanguards? My feeling is that the fins could make a huge difference.
I´ll report about my 5'2" VG as soon as I´ll have ridden it the first time.

Return to “Kitesurfing”