Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Best weather station to buy?

Forum for kitesurfers
perroloco
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Acapulco, San Diego
Favorite Beaches: Acapulco, San Diego
Style: freeride
Gear: Slingshot Turbo 2 17m-14m-11m-9m-7m, Nobile 666 143 Ext, Nobile 666 135, UG 132, UG 128, Mako wide 150, LF Rawson 5'10''
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Best weather station to buy?

Postby perroloco » Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:06 am

I want to buy a reliable weather station so that I can see wind speeds through the internet. This wind station is for Acapulco Mexico. I want to do this because windguru, windfinder ect. are pure bull shit. I already have green light from a hotel to instal the station at their beach front property. Any suggestions? Thanks

vkngktr
Medium Poster
Local Beach: NY, Hatteras, Hawaii
Favorite Beaches: NY, Hatteras, Hawaii
Style: Surf, Freeride
Gear: AirRush, Amundson Customs

Re: Best weather station to buy?

Postby vkngktr » Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:02 am

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:50 am

Exactly, the Davis Vantage is extremely good and reliable, and not to forget - it has existed for ages and got lots of knowledge and support/spareparts in many areas and countries.

We have been using these since the 90's, and right now at our local spot using the Vantage Pro2 (wireless).

Works great :thumb:

I find (and I am used to it in work) that the computer/web software is a bit difficult to set up at first though...
No problem when you know how to - and lots of people you can ask (or ask me, know it inside out now)
The reason it is a bit of a mouthful, is because it can be used for multiple weather stations, and has loads of options.

Here, we upload new weather data (wind, direction, temperature, pressure, and even rain although who cares....) every 10th minute.
This is more than adequate, so no reason to do it every or every second minute.
Every half hour could also do okay, but hey, if the web connection is there anyways then 10min works great.

Have had many other "cheaper" stations too, just to see how they are - and the thing that is wrong with almost each and everyone, is the WIND and WINDDIRECTION is not as reliable and accurate as the Davis.

And that is almost all we care about, right ?

Can only recommend the Davis :D

8) Peter

mko
Rare Poster
Gear: Ozone

Postby mko » Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:43 pm

perroloco wrote:I want to buy a reliable weather station so that I can see wind speeds through the internet. This wind station is for Acapulco Mexico. I want to do this because windguru, windfinder ect. are pure bull shit.
Do you mean the Windguru forecasts or do you also mean the Windguru Station?

We purchased our Windguru Station hardware this summer and we've been operating it at our local spot since July. We did have some problems with our Internet connection at first but that's not their fault. The hardware is top notch. The anemometer and wind vane is the same as in the Vantage Pro2, a Davis 6410. The local wireless link that has a span of 250 meters is custom but so is the wireless link in Vantage.

Here's a link to the quick install guide: http://stations.windguru.cz/quicki.php

More information about the anemometer http://www.davisnet.com/weather/product ... pnum=06410

If you look at the map at http://www.windguruspot.cz/ there's lot of these stations around the world. We did have a look at the Vantage Pro2 and many other weather stations in the market but we decided to stick just wind speed, direction and temperature sensors. It's good to remember that you'll need spare parts sooner or later. Also with the Vantage Pro2 I think you still need an external unit for Internet connection if you want to display the data online. With the Windguru Station everything you need is included in one simple package. You need just some Internet connection, electricity and a dry place for the indoor unit.

If you need a wireless Internet too or need a unit that works with solar power then have a look at Holfuy, http://holfuy.hu/en/shop.php

These two are the two easiest products that I know at the time and very affordable too. Windguru Station is 400 euros + taxes including shipping. Holfuy is 560 euros + taxes + shipping with a Davis 6410 anemometer. The promo priced Wind101 anemometer for Holfuy is sold out and I wouldn't recommend it as spare parts for it might be hard to get. Both Windguru Station and Holfuy ship internationally.

alunj
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Andulucia
Favorite Beaches: Viana , Fresh West, Le Morne
Style: Wave
Gear: Duotone, JP custom

Postby alunj » Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:41 am

I have been using the Davis for about 10 years now.
Plan to replace the anemometer head every few years , they get corroded eventually.
Also I have had a lot of issues with salt spray damaging the temp/humidity sensor , not a big issue you would think , but a lot of the reporting networks drop the data if there is no temp so your reports stop showing up on wunderground/weatherflow/ whoever you use.

I am currently investigating the ultrasonic type of anemometers with no moving parts to see if they are more reliable.

Windfinder
Medium Poster

Postby Windfinder » Mon Dec 01, 2014 2:36 pm

We at Windfinder has teamed up with Weerhuisje, a dutch expert for weather station equipment, to develop a plug-and-play weather station and weather cam solution with automatic upload to Windfinder. Simply plug the power cable into the power socket and the network cable into your router for automatic upload. You can also upload data to your own website, embed the webcam snapshots into your site or set up a live stream.

The system consists of modules (weather station, webcam, upload tool (Meteobridge). Add a webcam to your existing weather station? No problem! You can even connect your existing weather station with Windfinder by adding the upload tool Meteobridge. The system is based on standard comaptible hardware. Join the largest network of real time weather stations for watersports worldwide. Get your weather station and/or weather cam now. Share the data with Windfinder and get free advertising in return. More info at: http://www.windfinder.com/weather-station/

kjorn
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kjorn » Mon Dec 01, 2014 2:59 pm

What web cams do you recommend? For a weather station + panning web cam setup?

Would need something that can clean its own lens, as it'd be mounted quite high up and pretty inaccessible.

Thanks!

Windfinder
Medium Poster

Postby Windfinder » Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:43 pm

The standard cam that we deliver has the following specifications:

Standard Setup
Ubiquiti Aircam (HD Outdoor Network Camera with Power over Ethernet), Resolution: 1280x720 (HD); Frames per second: 30; Lens: 4.0mm/ F1.5; Sensor: Progressive Scan RGB CMOS ¼" View angle: 47° H, 31° V, 54° D

There are 2 alternative cams available:

Ubiquiti Unifi: (HD Outdoor Network Camera with Power over Ethernet with night vision ) Resolution: 1280x720 (HD); Frames per second: 30; Lens: 3.6 mm/F1.8; Sensor: Progressive Scan RGB CMOS ¼" View angle: 56.14° H, 36.86° V, 64.33° D

Ubiquiti Unifi Pro (Full HD Outdoor Network Camera with Power over Ethernet with night vision and 3 x optical zoom) Resolution: 1920x1080 (HD); Frames per second: 30; Lens: 3x Optical Zoom, F= 3-9 mm; Sensor: 1/3" WDR Sensor View angle: 44.4° W - 15.7° T (V), 81.0° W - 27.9° T (H), 94.0° W - 32.1° T (D)

Other cams are not compatible with this standard plug-and-play setup provided by Windfinder. However you can buy another webcam and manage it separately. We haven't got any information about cams with self cleaning lenses.

NYKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Wave
Gear: .

Postby NYKiter » Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:55 pm

you might consider alternatives to plastic spinning props companies like FailFlow use and look into sonic anemometers...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1pgyYOl2ho

kjorn
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kjorn » Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:42 pm

Windfinder wrote:The standard cam that we deliver has the following specifications....
Thank you!

Return to “Kitesurfing”