Good hotels in Cayo Guillermo

Forum for kitesurfers
keegster17
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Weight: 175lbs
Local Beach: Lake Ontario
Style: Free ride big air
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic 3, 13m, Flysurfer Soul 9m, Gin Spirit 12m, Flysurfer Radical board
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Good hotels in Cayo Guillermo

Postby keegster17 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:13 pm

Clarencephil, yeah i think your right, might be a bit much, if it was half the distance might not be bad, perhaps if i rented a car it would work, I can pack a cooler of food etc. but one more expense. can't win(d) right now. lol

shawn13
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cherry Beach, Toronto
Sherkston, Lake Erie
Wasaga, Lake Huron
Favorite Beaches: In Order:
Mauritius, Soma Bay, Egypt/ Cape Town, SA/ Cayo Guillermo, Cuba/ Sherkston, Canada/ El Gouna, Egypt/ Paje, Zanzibar/ Oliphant, Canada/ Kalpitya/ Dakhla, Morocco/ Boracay, Philippines/ Sri Lanka/ Wasaga Beach, Canada
Style: Freeride/Race
Gear: Cabrinha

Postby shawn13 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:23 pm

keegster17 wrote:yeah that makes more sense, it would be a rip off, if it was daily. Shawn13, where did your buddies stay? I am considering Pestano in Cayo Coco, at least it is a new resort, and commuting back and forth to Guillermo, not sure if this will add up cost wise and a pain backing all my stuff and considering food etc for the day. It says 30km apart.
They were at Sol. I will be heading to Sol next weekend as well.

We also considered a brand new resort Valentin Perla Blanca in Santa Maria, it is 40 km west of Guillermo, and faces the same direction. No flat water tho, mostly surf. Supposed to be much nicer than anything in Guillermo from resort standards though.
Last edited by shawn13 on Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:45 pm

shawn13 wrote:
keegster17 wrote:yeah that makes more sense, it would be a rip off, if it was daily. Shawn13, where did your buddies stay? I am considering Pestano in Cayo Coco, at least it is a new resort, and commuting back and forth to Guillermo, not sure if this will add up cost wise and a pain backing all my stuff and considering food etc for the day. It says 30km apart.
There were at Sol. I will be heading to Sol next weekend as well.

We also considered a brand new resort Valentin Perla Blanca in Santa Maria, it is 40 km west of Guillermo, and faces the same direction. No flat water tho, mostly surf. Supposed to be much nicer than anything in Guillermo from resort standards though.
Shawn what day to you arrive at the SOL?

keegster17
Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic 3, 13m, Flysurfer Soul 9m, Gin Spirit 12m, Flysurfer Radical board

Postby keegster17 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:57 pm

Shawn13 i saw that resort as well, looks nice. Santa Maria is very nice, decent food last time i stayed, i cant recall the name of the place. So how choppy is it in Santa Maria? as a new kiter, i have kited in lake Ontario a few times, choppy as well, granted i have only at this stage managed staying up for small distances at a time, and i mean small.
Let me know where you finally decide. I am heading out the 24th or 25th next week for one week.

shawn13
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cherry Beach, Toronto
Sherkston, Lake Erie
Wasaga, Lake Huron
Favorite Beaches: In Order:
Mauritius, Soma Bay, Egypt/ Cape Town, SA/ Cayo Guillermo, Cuba/ Sherkston, Canada/ El Gouna, Egypt/ Paje, Zanzibar/ Oliphant, Canada/ Kalpitya/ Dakhla, Morocco/ Boracay, Philippines/ Sri Lanka/ Wasaga Beach, Canada
Style: Freeride/Race
Gear: Cabrinha

Postby shawn13 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:20 pm

We booked a month ago for Sol on the 24th.

keegster17
Frequent Poster

Postby keegster17 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:31 pm

What about Cayo Largo? it has nice beaches. Sorry boyz all over on this post, but still researching.

jumarcil
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Bozo Beach
Gear: Core xr3: 7 and 9, escape 11m 2015, leopard 9 and 11

Postby jumarcil » Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:21 pm

alexeyga wrote:
keegster17 wrote:alexeyga it what respect is the Club Amigo Mayanabo better than the few places in Guillermo? See when you bring the girlfriend you need a good beach, and place for them to dress up and go out, personally i am not that picky nor is she, but we have traveled enough to want some better things on vacation. This tax mentioned in Guillermo, is this based on a 1 week fee or daily?
Sorry, I only judge hotels on the overall quality of service and food - I'm going there to ride and not to get pampered. That being said, if you're looking for "better things" - your best bets - imho - are Santa Maria (Melia/Melia Las Dunas) or Melia@Guillermo.
Been in Melia Santa Maria, Iberostar Cayo Guillermo and Santa Lucia.

Santa Lucia is my favorite spot for kiting but there is a lot of prostitution, lots of alguae on the beach and in the water , lots of small rocks and shell in the water, also water gets deep fast, hotels are 3 star etc ; if I wasn't kiting I would never go to that spot. The good thing is that because of the reason enumerated before it isn't overcrowded like some other Cuban spot.
Last edited by jumarcil on Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jumarcil
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Bozo Beach
Gear: Core xr3: 7 and 9, escape 11m 2015, leopard 9 and 11

Postby jumarcil » Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:27 pm

keegster17 wrote:Shawn13 i saw that resort as well, looks nice. Santa Maria is very nice, decent food last time i stayed, i cant recall the name of the place. So how choppy is it in Santa Maria? as a new kiter, i have kited in lake Ontario a few times, choppy as well, granted i have only at this stage managed staying up for small distances at a time, and i mean small.
Let me know where you finally decide. I am heading out the 24th or 25th next week for one week.
Forget Santa Maria if you are new to kiting. A kite school in Quebec took us there on a kite trip many years ago ; all beginners... I kited 3 hours in the whole week. Only three out of 15 people have been able to kite. When windi you have some pretty big waves crashing on the beach and plus the water is really deep fast. The spot is amazing though, really beautiful, nice hotels, good food, really nice to take your GF but unless your level is pretty good you wont like it. I have to say that if you go further down the beach there is a place where the water is more shallow.

alexeyga
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 200
Favorite Beaches: Ocean shore!
Style: Freeride dongling
Gear: Eleveight / Shinn / North / Axis / Slingshot / Airush

Postby alexeyga » Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:06 pm

keegster17 wrote:What about Cayo Largo? it has nice beaches. Sorry boyz all over on this post, but still researching.
Forget about it, winds are off/side-off... if there are any to begin with. Pestana is in the wind shadow as well unless it's blowing cold from the North - you'll have to go elsewhere to kite.

At your level Guillermo looks to be the best option - just go to Melia and you'll be happy with both hotel and riding. The launch area is between the Melia and Sol - it's very nice in low-tide and when you'll feel more confident - you can go venture in the shallows in front of the Cojimar - just make sure to find out how the whole circus with buoys works.

Cheers!
Attachments
_K5_7171.jpg
_K5_7212.jpg
_K5_7298.jpg
_K5_8142.jpg
_K5_8259.jpg
_K5_8266.jpg
_K5_8926.jpg
_K5_8931.jpg
_K5_8941.jpg
_K5_8943.jpg
_K5_9017.jpg
_K5_9018.jpg
_K5_9019.jpg
_K5_9022.jpg

keegster17
Frequent Poster

Postby keegster17 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:12 pm

nice pics. Yeah looked at Melia doesn't look a whole lot better than Sol, i am sure it is, but based money I am not sure it is worth the extra for the little more you get? I think i may just go with Sol.

Return to “Kitesurfing”