Good hotels in Cayo Guillermo

Forum for kitesurfers
keegster17
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Weight: 175lbs
Local Beach: Lake Ontario
Style: Free ride big air
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic 3, 13m, Flysurfer Soul 9m, Gin Spirit 12m, Flysurfer Radical board
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Good hotels in Cayo Guillermo

Postby keegster17 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:12 pm

Any really good or up to date resorts in Cayo Guillermo for kiters? Not sure I can handle Santa Lucia, or more less most of the resorts i searched in Cayo Guillermo. Not a picky guy, just i have traveled enough that I want to enjoy my stay and stay at a resort that is modern and takes care of the grounds. Looking to get away end of January, if someone can think of another location for a fairly new kiter, I appreciate it.

Treener
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Lake Ontario, Lake Erie
Favorite Beaches: Beaches that have wind and sand
Gear: LF Envy 12/9/7/5
Jimmy Lewis 5'11 kwad
Nobile T5
Been thanked: 0

Re: Good hotels in Cayo Guillermo

Postby Treener » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:50 pm

I've only stayed at the Sol Cayo Guillermo (furthest west hotel). Worked perfect for learning to kite, had the nicest beach. Hotel was clean enough and had edible food, not fancy by any means. I think the "nicest hotel" might be the one next to it, Melia Guillermo.

I think im going back to the sol, feb 7, cant wait!

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:00 pm

keegster17 wrote:Any really good or up to date resorts in Cayo Guillermo for kiters? Not sure I can handle Santa Lucia, or more less most of the resorts i searched in Cayo Guillermo. Not a picky guy, just i have traveled enough that I want to enjoy my stay and stay at a resort that is modern and takes care of the grounds. Looking to get away end of January, if someone can think of another location for a fairly new kiter, I appreciate it.
They are building some newer resorts but it will be sometime before they are open I presume.
All the existing resorts are dated, not well maintained I would say nothing more then a 3 star in NA standards.

keegster17
Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic 3, 13m, Flysurfer Soul 9m, Gin Spirit 12m, Flysurfer Radical board

Postby keegster17 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:08 pm

is Santa Maria Cuba a option? i have stayed there, and the food is much better and so are the resorts, but only seen one kite last time i was there, two years ago.

or what about Cayo Coco, and traveling over to Guillermo, to much hassle or same type of resorts there?

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:25 pm

I haven't been to Santa Maria but I have been told by friends that the resorts are newer and nicer but the water is very choppy and deep, unlike Guillermo.
Commuting to Cayo Guillermo from Cayo Coco is not that big a deal if you don't mind paying the cab fare... not sure what it would cost, ....it costs $35 CUC from the airport. There are buses that will take you to Pillar beach for $5CUC but I've been told that they have refused riders with kite gear.

alexeyga
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 200
Favorite Beaches: Ocean shore!
Style: Freeride dongling
Gear: Eleveight / Shinn / North / Axis / Slingshot / Airush

Postby alexeyga » Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:26 am

Generally speaking:

Guillermo - great for beginners, awesome spot over all with very nice flats by low-ish tides, but it gets very crowded. If you can afford it - the best hotel is Melia, Sol being the second (on my list). Also - for not it seems to be the only spot in Cuba where they are enforcing the 18CUC/stay kiteboarder's tax.

Santa Maria - all hotels are newer and quality-wise a couple of notches on top of Guillermo, but as far as riding goes - it's like blaaah... Deep, choppy, wavy (without breakers).

Cayo Coco - about the same as Santa Maria with worse hotels. But if you're going there with other kiting friends - there are some hidden jewels worth exploring.

B.t.w. there a tourist bus from Cayo Coco ==> Cayo Guillermo for 5CUC/day, so it's more than doable - though a little long.

Santa Lucia - very underrated spot in every aspect. Check out the Club Amigo Mayanabo - it's better than Guillermo's Sol and Iberostar both combined. The whole spot is surrounded by a reef so it's a fairly light chop with some interesting waves outside the reef. Only real negative point - if you're planning to walk a lot - you'll have to ride with shoes as the bottom is not at all as sandy and clean as all other spots.

Cheers!

jumarcil
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Bozo Beach
Gear: Core xr3: 7 and 9, escape 11m 2015, leopard 9 and 11

Postby jumarcil » Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:49 am

Iberostar daiquiri is quite nice and closer to the flat area that is located in front of the allegro (used to be the cojimar)

I was there twice since my gf wasnt kiting and she wanted a nice hotel. Food was quite good actually, rooms nice and clean.

Here are pics from cayo guillermo taken in 2010 and 2011
39450_1695276152924_7252501_n.jpg
Attachments
163210_1695277712963_5796155_n.jpg

speedyRider
Frequent Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby speedyRider » Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:27 am

is it deep enough so you dont break your neck or legs when crashing?
very small choppy or flat? Constant or gusty wind? and when is it the windy season?

thanks

shawn13
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cherry Beach, Toronto
Sherkston, Lake Erie
Wasaga, Lake Huron
Favorite Beaches: In Order:
Mauritius, Soma Bay, Egypt/ Cape Town, SA/ Cayo Guillermo, Cuba/ Sherkston, Canada/ El Gouna, Egypt/ Paje, Zanzibar/ Oliphant, Canada/ Kalpitya/ Dakhla, Morocco/ Boracay, Philippines/ Sri Lanka/ Wasaga Beach, Canada
Style: Freeride/Race
Gear: Cabrinha

Postby shawn13 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:02 pm

This was taken infront of Sol. Melia is the nicest, but also the most expensive. Theres not much to do there and the Melia guests have access to Sol for the nightly bar and show.
IMG_0643.JPG

keegster17
Frequent Poster

Postby keegster17 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:17 pm

alexeyga it what respect is the Club Amigo Mayanabo better than the few places in Guillermo? See when you bring the girlfriend you need a good beach, and place for them to dress up and go out, personally i am not that picky nor is she, but we have traveled enough to want some better things on vacation. This tax mentioned in Guillermo, is this based on a 1 week fee or daily?

Return to “Kitesurfing”