Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Ultimate All Carbon Twin tip?

Postby plummet » Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:52 pm

board dude wrote:At Nomad we have been using carbon fibre for over 11 years, its for sure a material which has alot of marketing about it , alot of image and alot of facts unknown by the general public.
All twintips have flex , when you ride a twintip it bends into a shape by the load your pushing on it and the water pushing back.
The trick is to have the board bend into the rocker shape that is efficient and clean in the water. Fibreglass twintips that have too much flex bend to much and produce a negative rocker line
between the footstraps. The water flowing over a negative rocker line produces drag , the board has a stick to the water feel and requires huge power from the kite to drive and definitely
no upwind .
Back to carbon fibre, a well designed carbon twintip is much the same as a carbon fibre windsurf mast , a windsurf sail in windy gusts bends away - the mast distorts and rapidly returns to its shape, if the setup is good the rider is not aware of these movements and has a continue constant power drive.
The same effect is created by a well sorted carbon fibre twintip, the carbon fibre reflex is very quick and maintains your rockerline at its pre-designed optimized shape. you will always be able to design more flex into a carbon board than a fibre board before you reach the issue of a negative rockerline.

A flexi board hits chop - bends and absorbs the movement and continues on its course with minimal disruption , a rigid board hits the chop - remains stiff and pushes the twintip on to a new
course, the impact is also passed on to the rider who continually has to arrange a new position. A good carbon twintip is always going to be smoother in chop and give a much more constant ride.

On top of that gain of a smooth and efficient ride you also have the same effect from the input of the rider .The rider is constantly changing the pressure he is putting through the kiteboard , it can be from gusts hitting the kite , it can be from turning the kite or simply changing direction going higher upwind or downwind . Once again the carbon board bends under the load and quickly returns back to its optimized shape and maintains a constant speed, more so than a standard fibre board.
Efficiency is mentioned here many times , an efficient rocker line is fast to plane holds a very high upwind angle and requires far less power from the kite, and can mean taking a smaller size kite. An efficient rockerline is a shape that has gentle curves with no sudden changes in shape, the flex is achieved by layup and core shaping .
Its not quite as easy as laminating a twintip with carbon fibre and bingo you have a great kiteboard , the whole system must be balanced with a great rockerline and flex in specific areas. Cnc machines are the only way to achieve such detailed core shapes and repeat the process. There are also many shape options that can be equated into the twintip, tunnel concave , flat concave , lifted convex rails , channels are a few important features .

Simon worked with the early kiteboard twintips and in 2001 established Nomad kiteboarding in Tarifa , in 2003 Nomad introduced the first carbon laminates using the above concepts.
http://www.nomadkiteboarding.com/index.html
Excellent write up man. :D

KWK
Rare Poster
Gear: Brokite Boards, Slingshot Rallys
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby KWK » Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:50 am

plummet wrote:
GregK wrote:
plummet wrote: Wood core boards are far more resilient to impact restistance, far stronger and heavier....

Also difference core materials have different flex patterns. Writing off all other cores except foam shows ignorance.
Have heard ( but not seen any data to support it ) that a wood core has much better damping characteristics compared to PVC foams like Divinycell or Klegecell. Wonder if Bro have ever built a multiple-stringer board with a lighter wood core ?

Plummet - what kind of impact damage were you thinking ? Hard flat landings ?
I've been making boards since 2000. First longboard skateboards then kite longboards and now TT and mutant kiteboards.

I've tried various cores with glass, carbon and Kevlar over the years and felt for myself the difference in flex patterns of different cores. I really like bamboo as a core. Its a bit heavy but is strong as hell with a nice flex pattern.

I'm now combining bamboo with foam and carbon to get the desired weight flex and impact resistance.

The impact resistance I'm talking about is not hard landings. I'm talking about smashing board into boulders. At many of my local spots we surf point breaks with boulders jutting out of just bellow the surface. Its not unusual for a boulder to boil up and you smash it with the board. Foam core cant handle that abuse. Wood core can.
I disagree, here in South Texas we have a lot of broken off oyster covered pilings and other crap in the water that we hit with regularity. I know of several people who have smashed objects hard with foam core carbon boards with only oyster rash to show for it.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:21 am

It depends entirely on how many carbon skins you have on the foam as to how much impact you can take before penetrating into the foam.

Once thing is certain a wood core board will be more robust given the same layup. and be heavier and have a different flex pattern.

Eurus
Frequent Poster

Postby Eurus » Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:55 am

surfboy1968 wrote:I love my Brokite board... I just recently got my custom 140 pop made custom for me, my second one... I weigh 200 lbs and ride with boots.... its got a lot of pop and the landings are super soft and easy on the knees.. I definitely dont tire out as quick.... got chop, no problem.... I also have had many different boards, SS, North, and my joke, this is definitely my favorite and best constructed board I have ever had.... graphics on the new models are sweet ...
Is it a stiff board with very little flex or a medium flex board?

jwoodunlv
Frequent Poster

Postby jwoodunlv » Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:47 pm

docjibe wrote:I am also interested in the hybrid either 135 or 132, how much do you weigh?
I weigh about 205 lbs.

surfboy1968
Frequent Poster

Postby surfboy1968 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:32 pm

Its a stiff board with a little flex......

Jbrook
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Jbrook » Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:56 pm

I broke most of my boards on hard landings from jumping nothing psycho. I really loved my Jimmy Lewis boards just the construction was a little light for me. Carved Imp. 5 is like a Timex watch takes a licking and keep on ticking. I do not understand the new trend of bigger boards, I think smaller ones are better and harder to break, anything wider than 39 in high winds like over 25 and I miss my edge on jumps.

laz
Very Frequent Poster

Postby laz » Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:26 am

BroKiteboards are awesome. I teach lessons and habe ridden bunch of differnat boards and brokite is my favorite. Its carbon inside and pvc outside. My 134 bro freestyle has taken a beating and still looks good.

The flex is perfect it doesnt hurt over chop like some boards and still pops and carves waves awesome.

Hit up west they can make one however you want custom.

Bossstyle
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Portland
Style: Freeride
Gear: F-one bandit 11m 2018
F-one bandit 9m 2018
F-one Mitu pro surf board
Flyradical 5 twin tip

Postby Bossstyle » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:11 am

So who are we saying makes the best carbon board? Brokite? How do they compare to the core fusion, impertrator or the nomad boards?
Has anyone compared them having ridden them all or some?

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:42 pm

God,

this thread looks like an ad for Brokite... I've been told Shinn Monk is great this and that, guess what? Got one, was nowhere near expectation.

If you can't demo the board/kite, simple. Don't buy it. It might be great for all [others, but just not for you.

D.

Return to “Kitesurfing”