KWK
Rare Poster
Gear: Brokite Boards, Slingshot Rallys
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Ultimate All Carbon Twin tip?

Postby KWK » Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:18 am

I second the Brokite recommendations. Have been riding them for 8 years and they just keep getting lighter and stronger. Jerry will build you a custom board and the price is comparable with factory boards.

paradistas
Rare Poster
Gear: Slingsot Fuel
North Evo, Vegas

Postby paradistas » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:04 am

You can also check BTS boards. These are extremely light, hand made full carbon boards.
Check out their site and you will find many info about the manufacturing process and technology involved.
http://btskiteboarding.com/

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:46 pm

Axis limited... I did weigh it but can't remember what it was. Not so stiff, say those who know... I love the channels, I think they're magic :D

surfsup
Rare Poster
Gear: Slingy
brokite

Postby surfsup » Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:15 pm

plummet wrote:The nomad boards also look sweet. brokite aswell.
I have a Brokite (formerly Zero Gravity) out of Texas. I ride in Chicago and love it so I'll share some thoughts. I've ridden Slingshot boards, Crazyfly, North, Naish, etc etc etc. I used to ride Fuels now on SS RPMs.
Things to watch for with carbon is the stiffness and the springback. They tend to be stiffer and or snap back into shape after flexing faster than glass. That makes for a livelier ride than your glass alternative.
The Brokite board is very smooth when tacking...here in Chicago it is all wind driven and can get choppy on the good days. The Brokite smooths the ride quite a bit. I was just telling a friend about someone's comment that borrowed my board. When done the comment I got was "compared to my board it felt like I didn't even have a board on my feet". A good carbon board will be less tiresome and spaztic in choppy conditions making the ride smoother and the day more fun. Compared to an OEM board, the Brokite is a sweet ride and I'll never go back to mass produced boards.

For jumping and wake style you can load up the Brokite pretty well and not kill the pop. As a 200lb dude that likes to handle pass and kiteloop, the 130x40 wake shape is a great all around board that I also actually ride on waves. On trips to PR or CostaRica, I get to travel with a short board that is easily controllable. The boys in PR a few years ago scoffed when we showed up with wakestyle boards. After we ripped it up in overhead conditions they told us we ride waves like pros. I can throw some serious smack in 9m conditions on a 130 in overhead and hold it down riding waves very aggressively and be totally comfortable in these conditions getting massive air off the backside when tacking back out into the swell.

I tried a Crazyfly and it wasn't the same. The ride was better than an OEM board for sure but there was less life and freedom in that board. I don't know the shape my friend had. What I can say is he now rides a Brokite as well. Those are the only two carbon boards I've ridden in recent times. there was another brand a buddy had, it was a POS. I don't remember the name and think it was someone starting out making boards. It wasn't manufactured very well so I'll just leave it at that. Good luck.

surfboy1968
Frequent Poster

Postby surfboy1968 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:16 pm

I love my Brokite board... I just recently got my custom 140 pop made custom for me, my second one... I weigh 200 lbs and ride with boots.... its got a lot of pop and the landings are super soft and easy on the knees.. I definitely dont tire out as quick.... got chop, no problem.... I also have had many different boards, SS, North, and my joke, this is definitely my favorite and best constructed board I have ever had.... graphics on the new models are sweet ...

Frank82
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Wijk aan Zee, IJburg, Schellinkhout, Medemblik - Netherlands
Style: freestyle / wakestyle / big air / wave
Gear: Eleveight

Postby Frank82 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:35 pm

So this brokite board wakestyle board has no rocker, no channels, and a handle. Yeah right...

Fanboys be fanboys.

surfboy1968
Frequent Poster

Postby surfboy1968 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:09 pm

Hey Frankie82, maybe you should do your homework first.... elliptical concave bottom and reactive continous rocker... the handle is for extra style points !!!!

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:34 pm

carved boards also look pretty sweet.

http://www.carved.de/imperatorlwfeature/lang/en

Frank82
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Wijk aan Zee, IJburg, Schellinkhout, Medemblik - Netherlands
Style: freestyle / wakestyle / big air / wave
Gear: Eleveight

Postby Frank82 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:37 pm

surfboy1968 wrote:Hey Frankie82, maybe you should do your homework first.... elliptical concave bottom and reactive continous rocker... the handle is for extra style points !!!!
- concave ≠ channels, try and ride that thing finless...
- based on the pic on their website the rocker is around 3-3.5cm, a proper wakestyle board has a minimum of 4.5cm
- handle inserts add nothing but weaken the board and increase the price

The board also seems really thin and probably quite flexy. I'm sure it's a fine straps freestyle board but for sure it isn't a wakestyle board. Look at this for comparison:

http://www.flexifoil.com/kitesurfing/hadlowwakestyle

surfboy1968
Frequent Poster

Postby surfboy1968 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:55 pm

Cant totally disagree with you. I never said the pop was a hardcore wakestyle board. Brokite makes a competition wake style board, but I dont know a lot about its design. Mine does have some flex and to be honest, I like the way it feels with straps instead of boots.. I ride my Joke with boots when I want a more wakestyle feel.

Return to “Kitesurfing”